Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

What Paint did you use for Engine Bay? (Covers)

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 03:19 AM
Skyline-LEXY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What Paint did you use for Engine Bay? (Covers)

I just visited one of my local body shop and they use PPG waterborne paint. They told me they dont recommand PPG on high temperture because the paint is water base. PPG just changed there product few weeks ago to water base... Correct me if I am wrong because I got that info from the body shop.

*This body shop was recommanded by the dealership

So my question is.. what paint did you guys use? I know there are few people out there that painted their engine and battery covers.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:46 AM
STOOF

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I know choyboy used house of kolor for the pink on his car. and im pretty sure all the white is generic body paint. dont know much about what types of diff kinds there are.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:26 AM
NJlakeshoreG
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dupont body shop paint, not rattle can style
Old 03-12-2009, 11:41 AM
The Jewbag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know there is some sort of ceramic based paint. Also, you can use the paint that people use for their brakes.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:49 AM
EVO-to-G

i was actually thinking about making a thread about this...but skyline-lexy you beet me to it lol so i'll just ask some questions here since its on topic.

my questions where basically:

-do you need a high-temp paint to paint the covers mentioned above? cause duplicolor has tons of different types of auto paint.

-Is it recomended to prime the parts first and if so do you need a special primer?

-Is there special type of clear coat for this?

basically i guess the main question do you really need high-temp stuff (primer, paint, clear coat) or is it fine to use the basic.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:36 PM
NJlakeshoreG
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i have basic body paint, its primed, painted and cleared just like a cars fender or whatever part
Old 03-12-2009, 12:39 PM
pfizzle

Just give it to a body shop.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:35 PM
ChOy BoY

Originally Posted by STOOF
I know choyboy used house of kolor for the pink on his car. and im pretty sure all the white is generic body paint. dont know much about what types of diff kinds there are.
Yeah the white used on my engine bay was actually the Infiniti IP..we just used the same color code (QX1) to paint all my parts that I had wanted white..

Anything that was pink we used my House of Kolor paint for.

EDIT: when you look carefully enough you can see the pearl in the paint as well.
Old 03-12-2009, 02:33 PM
Skyline-LEXY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EVO-to-G
i was actually thinking about making a thread about this...but skyline-lexy you beet me to it lol so i'll just ask some questions here since its on topic.

my questions where basically:

-do you need a high-temp paint to paint the covers mentioned above? cause duplicolor has tons of different types of auto paint.

-Is it recomended to prime the parts first and if so do you need a special primer?

-Is there special type of clear coat for this?

basically i guess the main question do you really need high-temp stuff (primer, paint, clear coat) or is it fine to use the basic.
I dont know if it has to be High Temperture or not but the body shop guy told me.. Water based paint will chip etc.. in high temperture. So the first thing would be get something thats not water base.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:18 PM
Csquared

I used Dupli Color low gloss black Engine enamel, so it's high heat paint, i just washed the cover placed painter tape on the parts i dont want black and then i sprayed dupli color Adhesion promoter then the black paint, rattle can style. still holding strong.

Old 03-12-2009, 04:34 PM
pfizzle

^ Did you use primer?
Old 03-12-2009, 07:02 PM
Csquared

Nope i asked around and they were like, no idea what the heat would do to the primer as there is no high heat primer so i just used the adhesion promoter.
Old 03-14-2009, 02:32 AM
VIP G

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Use either high temp engine paint or they have car/SUV paint if you want more choices...I used both and both are holding strong
Old 03-14-2009, 03:25 AM
heff

Originally Posted by Csquared
I used Dupli Color low gloss black Engine enamel, so it's high heat paint, i just washed the cover placed painter tape on the parts i dont want black and then i sprayed dupli color Adhesion promoter then the black paint, rattle can style. still holding strong.

sorry for off topic but wat intakes are them there ones lol and for sure use high temp engine paint i used it on my tiburon and it lasted 4 yrs and nothing faded/ ran so it seemed awesome ... i got it from canadian tire but im guessin u get it from walgreens or something in the states! good luck brahski!
Old 03-14-2009, 03:30 AM
Csquared

Those are the Fujita intakes powder coated and with a heatsheild, I got them off NJlakeshoreG, I got my paints from Napa autoparts.

Quick Reply: What Paint did you use for Engine Bay? (Covers)