Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
The door wasn't warped at all was it?
Old 12-25-2008, 11:55 PM
AndrewDDS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Keng
It might be water that was inside of the hinge and froze, thus destroyed the hinge.
The more I think about it, the more I think this is probably the case. I had a real thick layer of ice on the entire car a few days ago, and actually had to chip the ice away around my door just to open it. If that same layer of ice worked it's way in/around the fuel door, there's a good chance it created just enough pressure to crack the plastic.

Originally Posted by Ivoidwarranties
I'm asking because I don't know, but could someone else have broken the hinge and then put the door back on for you to find?
I never even thought of that possibility. I guess it could have happened, but I'm the only person who ever drives my car. Unless someone tried to break into the gas tank, I don't see how that could have happened.

Originally Posted by Ivoidwarranties
The door wasn't warped at all was it?
Not as far as I can tell. It's sitting right here on my desk and it looks pretty much intact. The 4 plastic bars that connect the door to the hinge are just sheared clean off.
Old 12-25-2008, 11:58 PM
Keng

Originally Posted by AndrewDDS
The more I think about it, the more I think this is probably the case. I had a real thick layer of ice on the entire car a few days ago, and actually had to chip the ice away around my door just to open it. If that same layer of ice worked it's way in/around the fuel door, there's a good chance it created just enough pressure to crack the plastic.
I have to go with the theory of water turning into ice and ice occupy more volume than water, thus spanked your fuel door hard
Old 12-26-2008, 12:06 AM
AndrewDDS

Originally Posted by Keng
I have to go with the theory of water turning into ice and ice occupy more volume than water, thus spanked your fuel door hard
After putting a day of thought into it; I'm sure that Wednesday was the first time I opened the fuel door after that big ice storm. So for all I know it could have been busted for a few days before I noticed it and tried to open it. The wind blowing the door off just doesn't make any sense, so now I'm changing my diagnosis to stress fracture secondary to ice. Either way, I'm now embarrassed to drive around my hometown in my $40K car...
Old 12-26-2008, 12:36 AM
DashKid
Banned

OMG the pictures look bad o_O.
Old 12-26-2008, 02:21 AM
ReddieG37

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
I was just thinking about this while i was filling up a couple of days ago. I realized the fuel door is plastic and the hinge itself is plastic too. And now, I find out that it actually happened to someone
Old 12-26-2008, 12:12 PM
Rambo

Originally Posted by FantastikG37
I was just thinking about this while i was filling up a couple of days ago. I realized the fuel door is plastic and the hinge itself is plastic too. And now, I find out that it actually happened to someone
Yeah, the fuel door feels real flimsy on my car. Probably wouldn't take much for it to break.
Old 12-26-2008, 12:26 PM
AndrewDDS

Update: I just spoke with the dealership this morning. Unfortunately, I'm 4 hours away for the holidays, so I won't be back till Sunday. They need to see my car to the get the actual paint match before they send the part to the paint shop (understandable), but she sounded like they wouldn't have to order the part in. If they have a spare fuel door laying around, then I'm probably not the first person this has happened to! Of course, I could be wrong...

Anyway, it sounded like it will be replaced under warranty, but I didn't bring it up and she never mentioned it. I'm just going to take the car in next week and assume it's covered unless they tell me otherwise. I'll continue to keep everyone updated...
Old 12-26-2008, 12:57 PM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
The dealer should cover that. I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 12-29-2008, 01:32 PM
AndrewDDS

Update: Dropped the car off today at the dealership (Side-note: Dropped it off because they won't come pick it up due to the fact that I bought my car elsewhere then moved here. Also got denied a loaner because they don't have any loaners available until February. Don't get me started...) Anywho, back to the topic!

The broken window seal will be repaired under warranty, but they're charging me $157 to replace and paint the fuel door. It's not covered under warranty because it is supposedly not a "manufacturing defect." The service manager told me that there's no way for them to know if it just fell off, or if I broke it on my own. I completely understand they're point, but it's still frustrating.

I have a hard time understanding how I bought a $40K car and, as far as service is concerned, I'm getting nothing that I couldn't get from a Chevy or Kia dealership. And I'm pretty sure I could get a loaner anywhere else without a month-long wait! I would love to shop around at other dealerships to see if I get better customer service elsewhere, but the next closest one is over an hour away. And everyone there is very nice and polite, so I hate being an *** and going somewhere else, but I feel like I'm really getting sub-standard treatment. Has anyone else had similar experiences with Infiniti service?
Old 12-29-2008, 01:40 PM
Heat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AndrewDDS
Update: Dropped the car off today at the dealership (Side-note: Dropped it off because they won't come pick it up due to the fact that I bought my car elsewhere then moved here. Also got denied a loaner because they don't have any loaners available until February. Don't get me started...) Anywho, back to the topic!

The broken window seal will be repaired under warranty, but they're charging me $157 to replace and paint the fuel door. It's not covered under warranty because it is supposedly not a "manufacturing defect." The service manager told me that there's no way for them to know if it just fell off, or if I broke it on my own. I completely understand they're point, but it's still frustrating.

I have a hard time understanding how I bought a $40K car and, as far as service is concerned, I'm getting nothing that I couldn't get from a Chevy or Kia dealership. And I'm pretty sure I could get a loaner anywhere else without a month-long wait! I would love to shop around at other dealerships to see if I get better customer service elsewhere, but the next closest one is over an hour away. And everyone there is very nice and polite, so I hate being an *** and going somewhere else, but I feel like I'm really getting sub-standard treatment. Has anyone else had similar experiences with Infiniti service?
Unfortunately, not every dealership can have great customer service that Infiniti customers deserve. Been there, and now I am glad to have a great dealership after buying from a crappy one. However, the same is true for all brands. I have seen really great domestic car dealerships and I have seen a really really bad Acura dealership.
Old 12-29-2008, 01:44 PM
Wezbian
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I guess it is up to us, the G37 community to break off our gas doors so that it becomes a recall item! Or is that called fraud?
Old 12-29-2008, 02:49 PM
CHI-TOWN G37

^ Ok, you first!
Old 12-29-2008, 03:08 PM
nogoodname
Banned

^^ no you 1st...lol....this could easily be the most random repair for the G in 08
Old 12-29-2008, 03:16 PM
AndrewDDS

Originally Posted by nogoodname007
^^ no you 1st...lol....this could easily be the most random repair for the G in 08
Do they give out awards for that?!?! Cause if they give out awards for "Most Random Repair for an '08 G Coupe", then I think the prize should be $157 and a trophy with the busted one on top.

Quick Reply: Fuel Door Blew Off!