Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Module Problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 01:39 AM
photopro
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Module Problems

09 37x, 107k miles ...
summary; last week got some strange symptoms; seat belt unbuckled causes the dome light to come on, key lock in car alarm goes off when car is on, door open light comes on. Dealer says a module that they haven't tracked down yet is giving a bad signal to the body control module, causing the error with the seat belt. So far they are into me for $400, and no solution. I took it back for tomorrow to be looked at. I remembered my wife jammed her key in the key slot on the dash last year breaking the spring loaded door. I wonder if this has something to do with it? Problem just started last week. i keep you updated.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:53 AM
photopro
Registered Member

FYI: problem found. Technician said there is a wiring harness that runs from the front to the back that has 3 wires with a short. The wiring harness is listed at $900 but is no longer made. the tech will bypass the shorted wires and install replacements to fix the problem. Total cost is approx. $800-900. Considering that i have had the car 6 years, and had no major problems (cat replacement under warranty, wheel bearing under warranty, and then 2 paid by me, brake light switch) and its paid for thats not a bad deal. Hopefully that solves the problem, i keep ya'll posted for those that read the threads for info.
Old 03-14-2019, 02:10 PM
photopro
Registered Member

FYI; dealer says the seat had to come out to repair the shorted wires. Shorted due to moisture/water. I noticed my floor on the drivers and passengers side is wet and it should not be, no one has been on the passenger side. I wonder if this is the dreaded sunroof leak? I am going to check to see if Infiniti has a TSB out for that. If not they should have and i will write them. Car is usually garaged but the last 6 months has been parked outside, but that shouldn't make a difference.
Old 03-14-2019, 02:34 PM
BeeW
Registered Member

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by photopro
FYI; dealer says the seat had to come out to repair the shorted wires. Shorted due to moisture/water. I noticed my floor on the drivers and passengers side is wet and it should not be, no one has been on the passenger side. I wonder if this is the dreaded sunroof leak? I am going to check to see if Infiniti has a TSB out for that. If not they should have and i will write them. Car is usually garaged but the last 6 months has been parked outside, but that shouldn't make a difference.
Good luck and update us with the response! Many of us have tried and failed... Infinity doesn't want to acknowledge that they really screwed up their design here. There are 4 possible leaks for this problem... Sunroof, AC condenser outlet tube, wire harness grommet, poor/cracked weld in firewall.
While you're at it, I'd check the wire harness grommet, its only sealed by gravity and water/dirt running through there eventually gets under it and causes a leak right onto all of the computers in the passenger footwell. (The grommet is under the windshield cowl/trim on the passenger side. Just remove the battery cover and pop the clips till you get there).
Old 03-16-2019, 03:06 PM
photopro
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply. i checked the passenger side and it was dry however the driver side was soaked. Pulled the mat to dry out and to see if it was winter water. Yesterday during a light to moderate rain there was water dripping on my left foot, and the parking brake rod was wet. Also its been fairly windy here lately and i can hear on noise the drivers side. the water drip got my sneaker wet so its a bad leak. I am going to try to locate it today but i will probably need more time, a sunny day so i can test with water. i ran a weed whacker line down the driver side drain on the sunroof and it seemed to go down quite a way before bottoming out. Also it was fairly dry so i dont think thats the problem. havent run the ac that much, mostly the defroster. I had a windshield replacement this past fall (hate those crap aftermarket windshields!) and i dont know if thats the problem. i will keep ya'll posted.
Old 03-20-2019, 09:42 AM
photopro
Registered Member

The problem was the installation of the crap windshield from Safelite. Ran some water tests and had water running down the same module again. I had to vacuum the water out of the module area and the fuse box. Fuse box was particularly tough as there was water in some of the tiny wire connections and i had to use a tip of a paper towel to dab the water out. PITA!! Took it back to Safelite and they were polite but tried to give me a little song and dance about it NOT being from the windshield. They wanted to run some water/leak tests, to which i said go ahead but if the module goes again you will owe me for 2! i had to show them the dampness from their test. They were booked up so i had to take it to another location and they pulled the windshield and found a big air gap on the bottom of the windshield. Reset it and it seems ok, no more wind noise. Technician gave me his managers number and said to expect a call today. If they want to play hard ball I will sue for not only damages but for my time running back and forth to the dealer. I just hope it doesnt happen again because i will have to go through the same thing again. I am so sick of crappy workmanship. The same outfit spilled something on my wifes Charger and i have not been able to rub it out. Also the dealer wrote the problem on the invoice but never said "hey, you know you got a lot or water in there you may want to check how it got in..." I'll keep you updated on the reimbursement process.