Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Tesla Style Screen Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2020, 10:44 PM
Redgoyabean
Registered Member

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by M113k_V36
Sooooo... I'm new here. I'm having troubles installing the 13.6 head unit, at the moment. The wiring went with no flaws whatsoever, but I'm having issues with the fitment. The head unit won't slide all the way back into the mounting position. It clips on the top, but it seems to be stuck near the bottom. I tried rewiring and pushing away any obstructions, but I can't seem to slide it in all the way. Anybody have any solutions? I'll get some images soon.
SMH, bro I went througt the very same issue with my 13.6in for some reason if I got the top by the vents in place the bottom would pop out n vise versa, I ended up sending it right back the very next day. I suggest you do the same. If not then good luck.
Old 03-02-2020, 11:51 PM
M113k_V36
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Redgoyabean
SMH, bro I went througt the very same issue with my 13.6in for some reason if I got the top by the vents in place the bottom would pop out n vise versa, I ended up sending it right back the very next day. I suggest you do the same. If not then good luck.
10 hours in and i'm still going. Can't deduct what the problem could be, since other people with the 13.6 installed don't have such fitment issues. Is it the quality of the plastic moldings, or is it the wiring being too bunched up from how short it is? I'm about to give up on this POS...
Old 03-03-2020, 05:36 AM
Redgoyabean
Registered Member

Originally Posted by M113k_V36
10 hours in and i'm still going. Can't deduct what the problem could be, since other people with the 13.6 installed don't have such fitment issues. Is it the quality of the plastic moldings, or is it the wiring being too bunched up from how short it is? I'm about to give up on this POS...
after 2hrs of trying nothing worked, I even attempted to install the unit with nothing connected in the back this way I was able to tuck all the factory connectors away so there was no way it would block the unit from being pushed back n that didnt work. That's when I sent it back.
Old 03-07-2020, 07:32 AM
Asafzabari
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Just got my 13.6'' 9.0 android fast boot screen from Phoenix

Hi All,
I am beginning to prepare mentally for the installation and I am also waiting for the shift **** to do it together, meanwhile can you help me understand the connection that I am not sure about them?
I have G37 '12 sedan with no nav and no bose system, here is the unit -

Here is the back of the unit( as you can see it is a little bit different from older models) -

So I am trying to understand what connects to the white plug and the B to E & I to L inputs -

Here are some inputs that I tried to figure out -

Here I have managed to figure all out ( I think), can someone advise about the rear camera? If I have aftermarket reverse camera (Yellow RCA) can I use the Camera input from the main harness and not use the AV-IN harness at all?

Thanks for your help.
The following users liked this post:
jpowersjr2 (03-08-2020)
Old 03-07-2020, 10:32 PM
Redgoyabean
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Asafzabari
Hi All,
I am beginning to prepare mentally for the installation and I am also waiting for the shift **** to do it together, meanwhile can you help me understand the connection that I am not sure about them?
I have G37 '12 sedan with no nav and no bose system, here is the unit -

Here is the back of the unit( as you can see it is a little bit different from older models) -

So I am trying to understand what connects to the white plug and the B to E & I to L inputs -

Here are some inputs that I tried to figure out -

Here I have managed to figure all out ( I think), can someone advise about the rear camera? If I have aftermarket reverse camera (Yellow RCA) can I use the Camera input from the main harness and not use the AV-IN harness at all?

Thanks for your help.
kinda hard to mess up. The harness from Phoenix has dedicated connectors so they only fit a specific connector. Theres a white box the under the factory screen with 2 connectors, mark both connectors n there specific inputs because if you mess that up you could run into problems. Make sure it fits b4 connecting everything, me n another member had fitment issues. I sent mine back.
Old 03-08-2020, 03:16 AM
Asafzabari
Registered Member

Fitment issues from Phoenix? Or other supplier?
Old 03-08-2020, 10:58 AM
Redgoyabean
Registered Member

Fitment issues from Phoenix? Or other supplier?
phoenix automotive
Old 03-08-2020, 06:16 PM
Asafzabari
Registered Member

damn... I hope mine will be okay. don't want to deal with returning...
Old 03-08-2020, 08:52 PM
Redgoyabean
Registered Member

damn... I hope mine will be okay. don't want to deal with returning...
make sure it fits also make sure you TEST every single function on the radio after the install (assuming it goes good) n if ANY ISSUES pop up then call them immediately. I had issues with the bluetooth on12" screen (which is why I sent that back n tried the 13.6"). If you call them while still with in you 30 day return policy n inform them about your issuei then even if you go past your 30 days n they haven't fixed the problem then you can return with a FULL REFUND. Also have them send you an email showing the return policy that's states what I mentioned above. That's what I did. Good luck.
Asafzabari (03-09-2020)
Old 03-11-2020, 11:11 PM
RogueJD
Registered Member

Hey all. So, here's my journey.

TL;DR: Day one of install was a bust. Many issues.

I have a 13 G37s (not X), Bose, Nav, Backup Cam, parking sensors, coupe (non-convertible). Ordered from Rhino Radios in the beginning of February. Just received today on 11 March (Midwest, US) - Was told that the Corona Virus put a hold on things - understandable. 13.6 model, exact same looking as RedGoyaBean's pics from a few posts up (maybe a slightly different wiring harness, but all the other stuff looks the same). Great packaging, pristine unit condition. Everything appeared to be present, but later found out that I'm missing the USB adapters (minor, I never use the factory USB anyway).

Install went fine, despite having absolutely no instruction manual. Had to find old videos and writeups for the 12.1 inch model. Didn't try for fitment yet, can't get past a few issues.

First time I fired it up, I reconnected the car battery cable, and nothing worked. Turned ignition to "on". Dash was normally-illuminated, then it went very dim. Headlights and brake lights came on and stayed illuminated despite not manually turning anything on. A fan under the hood started whirring up. Could not turn the ignition to "off". Everything was unresponsive, and I couldn't even get the OBD sensor to connect to the diagnostic port to see if any codes came up.

Reset back to stock head unit - 2+ hours down the drain. Reconnected battery cable; everything ran just perfectly. Zero issues.

Re-installed the new 13.6 head unit. Things were looking up. Everything seemed to work except the backup cam. ...I was a little peeved. Hot swapped the RCA jacks, thinking I had the wrong one plugged in - no-go.

Pulled everything back out. Checked to see if connections were solid, re-plugged in the new unit, re-connected the battery cable. Most things still worked, except the backup cam.

Tried to turn the car off... It just wouldn't. The engine cut off, but the dash and radio stayed illuminated at full brightness. Closed doors, opened doors, locked the car, unlocked the car - I mean, I spent like 30+ minutes trying things. Radio stayed on, Dash stayed on. Started the car and - Oh! Now the radio doesn't work. Can't pick up a signal. It was fine before! I didn't touch anything since last mostly-successful test.

Car still wouldn't shut off. I finally just pulled the battery cable again, buttoned the car up, and came upstairs to have a quick drink, and write this reply.

I'll give it a go tomorrow after work I guess.
Old 03-12-2020, 02:51 AM
Asafzabari
Registered Member

Help needed with Phoenix 13.6'' tesla screen

Today I decided to install the unit but I think that something is not right.
I tried to explain the issue in the pics -
  1. Does anyone knows what is the connector with the 2 green wires?
  2. is it okay to not have a connector to the USB OEM one?
  3. If I don't have Bose system, I guess I don;t need to connect that connector but will it cause issues?
  4. Phoenix USB cable, no connector to the OEM one.
  5. I have 1 big empty connector and 1 small one, I guess that is okay?
  6. is that the AC connector? it comes from the Phoenix harness.
  7. In the video one of the Ac vents doesn't lock, I guess when I install it it won't move due to the back pressure or should I replace the unit?
  8. I was promised to get a black mate unit and got a gloss one

is it okay to not have a connector to the USB OEM one?

Does anyone knows what is the connector with the 2 green wires?

is that the AC connector?

Bose system connector?

Phoenix USB cable, no connector to the OEM one.
Please help :/
Old 03-12-2020, 06:37 AM
Redgoyabean
Registered Member

Originally Posted by RogueJD
Hey all. So, here's my journey.

TL;DR: Day one of install was a bust. Many issues.

I have a 13 G37s (not X), Bose, Nav, Backup Cam, parking sensors, coupe (non-convertible). Ordered from Rhino Radios in the beginning of February. Just received today on 11 March (Midwest, US) - Was told that the Corona Virus put a hold on things - understandable. 13.6 model, exact same looking as RedGoyaBean's pics from a few posts up (maybe a slightly different wiring harness, but all the other stuff looks the same). Great packaging, pristine unit condition. Everything appeared to be present, but later found out that I'm missing the USB adapters (minor, I never use the factory USB anyway).

Install went fine, despite having absolutely no instruction manual. Had to find old videos and writeups for the 12.1 inch model. Didn't try for fitment yet, can't get past a few issues.

First time I fired it up, I reconnected the car battery cable, and nothing worked. Turned ignition to "on". Dash was normally-illuminated, then it went very dim. Headlights and brake lights came on and stayed illuminated despite not manually turning anything on. A fan under the hood started whirring up. Could not turn the ignition to "off". Everything was unresponsive, and I couldn't even get the OBD sensor to connect to the diagnostic port to see if any codes came up.

Reset back to stock head unit - 2+ hours down the drain. Reconnected battery cable; everything ran just perfectly. Zero issues.

Re-installed the new 13.6 head unit. Things were looking up. Everything seemed to work except the backup cam. ...I was a little peeved. Hot swapped the RCA jacks, thinking I had the wrong one plugged in - no-go.

Pulled everything back out. Checked to see if connections were solid, re-plugged in the new unit, re-connected the battery cable. Most things still worked, except the backup cam.

Tried to turn the car off... It just wouldn't. The engine cut off, but the dash and radio stayed illuminated at full brightness. Closed doors, opened doors, locked the car, unlocked the car - I mean, I spent like 30+ minutes trying things. Radio stayed on, Dash stayed on. Started the car and - Oh! Now the radio doesn't work. Can't pick up a signal. It was fine before! I didn't touch anything since last mostly-successful test.

Car still wouldn't shut off. I finally just pulled the battery cable again, buttoned the car up, and came upstairs to have a quick drink, and write this reply.

I'll give it a go tomorrow after work I guess.
What's up broski, I had the very same issues with lights in the dash staying on n its actually a simple fix. Plug everything up n then 1 by 1 start to disconnecting connectors. I forgot which connector it was exactly but everytime u disconnect 1 plug shut the car off. Eventually you'll find the harness that's keeping everything illuminated. I really hope it helps but to be honest I would get in the car with nothing plug into the unit n try fitment first, even if you get everything to work, if the unit has the same fitment issues as mine then all your time spent trying to get it working will be simply wasted. Lmao i spent about 30min trying to figure out why my dash wouldn't go out as well. Another piece of advice, return the unit n get it from Phoenix automotive. I say that for 2 reason 1- they have a sale going on right now n 2- their customer service is pretty good n compared to rhinoradio there 20x better n more response. I had rhinoradio send me a pic of the 13.6" unit b4 Phoenix automotive had the unit n some lady sent me a pic of the unit in a box on her kitchen flr SMH nooooooo. Understand these companies get the units from China but some companies are ppl just trying to make some cash n other companies like Phoenix automotive are an actual company with ppl who are constantly in communication with the actual manufacture from China. So if you try n call rhinoradio it's going to take some time to hear back n when you do its probably wont be someone who can help you troubleshoot but Phoenix has actual techs who can help n if they cant figure it out then they contact China n try to work out a solution. Let me know if theres anything else I can help you with n good luck .
RogueJD (03-12-2020)
Old 03-12-2020, 06:56 AM
Redgoyabean
Registered Member

Today I decided to install the unit but I think that something is not right.
I tried to explain the issue in the pics -
  1. Does anyone knows what is the connector with the 2 green wires?
  2. is it okay to not have a connector to the USB OEM one?
  3. If I don't have Bose system, I guess I don;t need to connect that connector but will it cause issues?
  4. Phoenix USB cable, no connector to the OEM one.
  5. I have 1 big empty connector and 1 small one, I guess that is okay?
  6. is that the AC connector? it comes from the Phoenix harness.
  7. In the video one of the Ac vents doesn't lock, I guess when I install it it won't move due to the back pressure or should I replace the unit?
  8. I was promised to get a black mate unit and got a gloss one

is it okay to not have a connector to the USB OEM one?

Does anyone knows what is the connector with the 2 green wires?

is that the AC connector?

Bose system connector?

Phoenix USB cable, no connector to the OEM one.
Please help :/
ok ima try n help you with what I can remember, it's been a while since I was playing with the tesla unit for the G n I actually dont even owe my G anymore but here we go. Unfortunately I cant remember what the connector in the first pic was for, I would simply send a pic to Phoenix or plug everything up n see what's left I also cant remember anything on the connector with the green wires but 1 thing I know is almost everything has a matching connector for it, if you have the 13.6in unit that might be the wire causing most units to stay illuminated but I would connect everything n then see what's remaining. Process of elimination. In you third pic showing the back of the unit, yes that's for you ac controls n needs to be connected. Once again process of elimination n only 1 plug can fit so it's kinda hard to mess that up. Forth pic, if you look towards the bottom left of the pic you'll see a small kinda tan connector, that's your bose connector, the white connector in you hand should be plugged into something coming from the car. In you last pic you obviously have the usb connector that connects into the back of the unit n you should connect it if you want some type of charge for your phone or have CarPlay in your unit. Let me know if theres anything n I'll try n help. Good luck
Old 03-12-2020, 10:55 AM
RogueJD
Registered Member

ok ima try n help you with what I can remember, it's been a while since I was playing with the tesla unit for the G n I actually dont even owe my G anymore but here we go. Unfortunately I cant remember what the connector in the first pic was for, I would simply send a pic to Phoenix or plug everything up n see what's left I also cant remember anything on the connector with the green wires but 1 thing I know is almost everything has a matching connector for it, if you have the 13.6in unit that might be the wire causing most units to stay illuminated but I would connect everything n then see what's remaining. Process of elimination. In you third pic showing the back of the unit, yes that's for you ac controls n needs to be connected. Once again process of elimination n only 1 plug can fit so it's kinda hard to mess that up. Forth pic, if you look towards the bottom left of the pic you'll see a small kinda tan connector, that's your bose connector, the white connector in you hand should be plugged into something coming from the car. In you last pic you obviously have the usb connector that connects into the back of the unit n you should connect it if you want some type of charge for your phone or have CarPlay in your unit. Let me know if theres anything n I'll try n help. Good luck
The connector in the first pic is basically a data connection - USB style. It will remain unconnected.
The second pic with the two wires goes to a small black box that was shipped with the kit. I'm not exactly certain, but it's basically a little computer box that "translates" certain data the vehicle outputs into data that the head unit can understand. - I may be way wrong about what it does (I had to purchase a similar unit for a different install; that was the explanation I was given), but I'm sure that's what the cable plugs into.
Pic 3 - yes, that is the AC connector. It is the only larger female connected on the new wiring harness.
Pic 4 - No, that's not the Bose connector. That's an AUX connector for video (I think). The Bose connector is the yellow-y or green female connector (sorry, I'm colorblind) directly below what you're holding.
USB Connector - Yea, I didn't get the adapter either. Basically, that cable is supposed to have an adapter that plugs into one the normal USB sides. It would allow you to use the USB port in the center armrest console. The other USB connector often gets routed to the glove box, or wherever you like.

EDIT: Also - DANGER - be very careful. I see in the pic of your wiring harness that you have your AC controls plugged into the harness. IMPORTANT: You will notice that on your factory head unit there is a little white box. Those cables that you currently have plugged into your harness need to go to that white box. Take the white box out of the mount (keep the mounts, you'll need those, too) and plug them in to the cables that seem to be coming from higher up in the console. You'll note that the stock harnesses have colored tape on the ends. Yellow-y (orange? Again, colorblind) goes to the white box. Light green-y goes to the harness. When in doubt, look at the wires in the factory harness and match them up to the wires in the new harness.

Last edited by RogueJD; 03-12-2020 at 11:01 AM.
Old 03-12-2020, 11:06 AM
RogueJD
Registered Member

What's up broski, I had the very same issues with lights in the dash staying on n its actually a simple fix. Plug everything up n then 1 by 1 start to disconnecting connectors. I forgot which connector it was exactly but everytime u disconnect 1 plug shut the car off. Eventually you'll find the harness that's keeping everything illuminated. I really hope it helps but to be honest I would get in the car with nothing plug into the unit n try fitment first, even if you get everything to work, if the unit has the same fitment issues as mine then all your time spent trying to get it working will be simply wasted. Lmao i spent about 30min trying to figure out why my dash wouldn't go out as well. Another piece of advice, return the unit n get it from Phoenix automotive. I say that for 2 reason 1- they have a sale going on right now n 2- their customer service is pretty good n compared to rhinoradio there 20x better n more response. I had rhinoradio send me a pic of the 13.6" unit b4 Phoenix automotive had the unit n some lady sent me a pic of the unit in a box on her kitchen flr SMH nooooooo. Understand these companies get the units from China but some companies are ppl just trying to make some cash n other companies like Phoenix automotive are an actual company with ppl who are constantly in communication with the actual manufacture from China. So if you try n call rhinoradio it's going to take some time to hear back n when you do its probably wont be someone who can help you troubleshoot but Phoenix has actual techs who can help n if they cant figure it out then they contact China n try to work out a solution. Let me know if theres anything else I can help you with n good luck .

Thanks for the info! I'll tinker around with fitment first, then try process of elimination for the plug. I haven't had poor experiences with Rhino Radios yet, but they are indeed slow to respond. I can't beat the deal, though. I didn't see the 13.6 unit for sale at Phoenix, but Rhino had them for less than 600 with their 10% promo, so I couldn't beat it.

Quick Reply: Tesla Style Screen Thread