Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Possessed G37?

Old 09-11-2018, 10:50 PM
Awolf13
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Possessed G37?

I have a 2009 Infiniti G37. When I tried to start it tonight, I pressed the on button and the lights lit up but nothing happened. The key fob would not work to lock or unlock the car. All of a sudden, the hazards started flashing on and off. I tried to move the steering wheel around and somehow got the car to start, but the windshield wipers came on (I didn’t turn them on) and the lights were going on and off. The gear shift was stuck at first, but I was able to get it into drive and drove it around the corner. I then turned the car off and the lights staying on and the windshield wipers continued to run. The hazards would come on and go off again. Anyone know what on earth is going on? We unhooked the battery to get the lights and wipers off for the night so the battery wouldn’t die.
Old 09-11-2018, 11:10 PM
Awolf13
Registered Member

Edit

I should add that we had a bad thunderstorm tonight and there was a flash of lightening and a LOUD clap of thunder coming from the direction of my car. Would it getting struck by lightening have caused this?
Old 09-12-2018, 06:12 AM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Received 176 Likes on 165 Posts
Bcm maybe
Old 09-12-2018, 09:21 AM
Bostonreefer

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
sounds like water. damage to the electrical system
Old 09-12-2018, 01:27 PM
willard
Registered Member

Similar thing happened to me on Monday, I have a 2008 g37S mt, It wasn't raining much when I drove to work, then it was raining pretty hard while it was parked. When I got back to the parking lot all the lights where on still very bright,I have a brand new battery. The car wouldn't start it wouldn't say clutch on the dash, the trunk opened on it's own and the doors would lock on their own. The lights wouldn't turn off. I asked a coworker if he had jumper cables, he didn't but he came with me to help. He disconnected the battery and connected it again, that didn't seem to help but after a few more tries starting it, it started right up. The lights still wouldn't turn off, but they did after 20 minutes or so and I drove home an hour ride, it's working fine now. I'm looking for a used body control module, I'm going to have to do more research to see which one I need, their are a bunch of them on Ebay for $60-$100 but they don't seem to fit my car. I might take it to my mechanic to check it out, he's good with electrical systems. It's raining pretty hard now, so I'm going to take my other car to work today. Please keep us updated on how you make out with your car.
Old 09-12-2018, 05:17 PM
Awolf13
Registered Member

Originally Posted by willard
Similar thing happened to me on Monday, I have a 2008 g37S mt, It wasn't raining much when I drove to work, then it was raining pretty hard while it was parked. When I got back to the parking lot all the lights where on still very bright,I have a brand new battery. The car wouldn't start it wouldn't say clutch on the dash, the trunk opened on it's own and the doors would lock on their own. The lights wouldn't turn off. I asked a coworker if he had jumper cables, he didn't but he came with me to help. He disconnected the battery and connected it again, that didn't seem to help but after a few more tries starting it, it started right up. The lights still wouldn't turn off, but they did after 20 minutes or so and I drove home an hour ride, it's working fine now. I'm looking for a used body control module, I'm going to have to do more research to see which one I need, their are a bunch of them on Ebay for $60-$100 but they don't seem to fit my car. I might take it to my mechanic to check it out, he's good with electrical systems. It's raining pretty hard now, so I'm going to take my other car to work today. Please keep us updated on how you make out with your car.
I’m like 98% sure it’s the BCM. I just called around to a few mechanics and most of them wouldn’t give me a quote over the phone - the only one that did said $1200!!! That seems REALLY high but I haven’t had much time to research buying used and installing myself. Do you have any good resources you’ve found in your research? Unfortunately, we are new to town and I don’t have an established mechanic that I trust. Thanks so much.
Old 09-13-2018, 12:01 AM
willard
Registered Member

Check out this thread: https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...rograming.html
Replacing the part is easy, It's in the passenger side kick panel, should take basic tools. The problem is it seems like you have to take it to the dealer to reprogram it, the car won't start until you do. I'm going to call my mechanic this week and see what he recommends. I can always replace the part in the dealers parking lot and tell them I had it towed there for the reprogramming or have AAA tow it. Right now my car works fine, I drove my Honda to work tonight because it rained hard tonight and I didn't want to take any chances. I might open the kick panel myself and see if there is any indication it got wet, my mechanic said he looked at it while he was diagnosing my problem with the reverse lights and backup camera, he said it looked fine, no corrosion, it ended up being corroded wires at the switch on the transmission, he charged me for 3.5 hours plus $35 for a new switch, that's why I trust him, he could have charged a lot more. I'll keep you updated, please do the same.
Thanks
PS, I'm probably going to go to a Nissan dealer, I got a Infiniti dealer quote of $1200 for a 4 wheel brake job, and they were going to resurface not replace the rotors when I called them, Nissan quoted $730 for the same thing, I only ended up needing the fronts done. The gas station garage down the street replaced the rotors and pads for $380, this was before I went to the mechanic my body shop owner friend uses, he said he gave me a break because I am friends with the body shop, he knows I'm going to use him exclusively so I'm hoping for a good ongoing relationship with him.

Last edited by willard; 09-13-2018 at 12:24 AM. Reason: more info
Old 09-13-2018, 05:50 AM
Awolf13
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply. My husband will probably be able to replace the part if it would EVER.stop.raining and probably follow your lead and have it towed to the dealership. From what I’ve heard, it’s way better to buy the part new, but used parts on eBay are literally 1/10th of the price. Are you going with new or used?
The following users liked this post:
MStrike (10-27-2020)
Old 10-27-2020, 10:18 PM
MStrike
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Awolf13
Thanks for the reply. My husband will probably be able to replace the part if it would EVER.stop.raining and probably follow your lead and have it towed to the dealership. From what I’ve heard, it’s way better to buy the part new, but used parts on eBay are literally 1/10th of the price. Are you going with new or used?
Hey, sorry to bother you but I was wondering what ended up happening (did you get used or new)?
Old 10-28-2020, 09:34 AM
Awolf13
Registered Member

Originally Posted by MStrike
Hey, sorry to bother you but I was wondering what ended up happening (did you get used or new)?
Honestly, I can’t remember exactly what we did but I know we didn’t spend a bunch of money or take it to a dealership because i definitely would’ve remembered that. I feel like my husband tinkered around with it a bit and the car just went back to normal. We thought maybe it got struck by lightening or something.
The following users liked this post:
MStrike (10-28-2020)