Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Music Box 2010 G

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 04:03 PM
Lickskillet

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Music Box 2010 G

I am new the music box option. Am I reading right in my manual that the only way to load the drive is through CDs? I was told I could transfer all my music off my phone to the Music Box vial USB cable
Old 07-11-2018, 04:12 PM
roflcopter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CDs are the only way I know how. The USB connectivity is only good for getting song names if your Gracenote database is too old, and it's a horrible, convoluted process. What I did to get around it was leave an old iPod in the car, with 10gigs of music on it. Re-purposes a now-useless piece of tech, and the menu system for iPod integration is better than playing music directly from a USB stick. My music box isn't that large anyway (not sure if there are different sizes)
Old 07-11-2018, 04:27 PM
Lickskillet

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thank You
Old 07-11-2018, 05:18 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by roflcopter
CDs are the only way I know how. The USB connectivity is only good for getting song names if your Gracenote database is too old, and it's a horrible, convoluted process. What I did to get around it was leave an old iPod in the car, with 10gigs of music on it. Re-purposes a now-useless piece of tech, and the menu system for iPod integration is better than playing music directly from a USB stick. My music box isn't that large anyway (not sure if there are different sizes)
I did this for years. With both my cars before the G. But honestly, it's just better to breakdown and get an iPhone and plug it in when you get in, and out when you get out.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:20 AM
Landshark
Registered Member

Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts
had similar HD "music box" in my Evo - i put 3-4 CD's on it for an "emergency" if i somehow had no other source of music ... never used it.

just load up a cheap ipod with music, leave it in the armrest, and forget about it. no plugging/unplugging of your phone to deal with every time you get in or out of the car.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:37 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Landshark
no plugging/unplugging of your phone to deal with every time you get in or out of the car.
Yes, because that's a huge inconvenience

Get in car. Press start, shift to neutral. While car settles into idle, put phone in useless cupholder and plug into usb. Drive off.
Old 07-13-2018, 07:41 AM
Landshark
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Yes, because that's a huge inconvenience

Get in car. Press start, shift to neutral. While car settles into idle, put phone in useless cupholder and plug into usb. Drive off.

don't remember saying it was a *HUGE* inconvenience.

not having USB cables hanging all over my car is a plus, too.

i have an Android phone anyway, so plugging it in wouldn't do anything but charge it.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:25 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

not having USB cables hanging all over my car is a plus, too.
It's hardly hanging all over the car

I have mine rolled and zip tied coming out of the center console. Black USB cord. it's maybe 8" long.
Old 07-14-2018, 06:17 AM
Landshark
Registered Member

It's hardly hanging all over the car

I have mine rolled and zip tied coming out of the center console. Black USB cord. it's maybe 8" long.

zipties and cables ... always a good look.

maybe you can duct tape a bottle of Grey Poupon to the dash, too, your Majesty.
Old 07-14-2018, 09:36 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

It's zip tied inside the center console, you know, cord management, you can't see anything, other the 8" of black cord, just like you can't see the iPod you permanently leave in your center console plugged into the usb outlet
Old 07-15-2018, 07:20 AM
Landshark
Registered Member

just like you can't see the iPod you permanently leave in your center console plugged into the usb outlet

i don't use an iPod - they sound like ***. i have my old rooted Galaxy Note 3 in there using Viper4Android audio processing to fix the crap Bose EQ.

no EQ presets in IOS sound any good, and any IOS app i tried with custom EQ or audio processing didn't play nice with the headunit.
Old 07-15-2018, 09:01 PM
G37sPhoton
Registered Member

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
opcorn:
Old 07-15-2018, 09:03 PM
G37sPhoton
Registered Member

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
:boobies:
Old 07-25-2018, 02:03 AM
Absinthe
Registered Member

Received 81 Likes on 70 Posts
i don't use an iPod - they sound like ***. i have my old rooted Galaxy Note 3 in there using Viper4Android audio processing to fix the crap Bose EQ.

no EQ presets in IOS sound any good, and any IOS app i tried with custom EQ or audio processing didn't play nice with the headunit.
The audio passing through the 30 pin connector was analog, the lightening connector is digital and relies on an outboard DAC. If your G is new enough to have the USB input, your using the DAC's in the head unit which are Burr Brown and pretty high up the industry standard. It sounds more like the EQ settings you've used in the iPhone to combat the "Bose (lack of) Sound" aren't cutting it. If your fighting the Lightening connector into an older G you have to get creative. Was hoping the GROM V-line solution would be viable but for my money the application was hokey and cheap and afforded no real advantages over my current setup. Never attempted an Android solution as all the company phones I've had were iPhones
Old 07-25-2018, 02:06 AM
Absinthe
Registered Member

Received 81 Likes on 70 Posts

I moved the phone connector into the glove box. Whichever phone you use is much more protected from heat in the glove box. Often when I return to my car on a summer day the phone (or iPod) had shut down due to overheating. It would take anywhere from 5-15 minutes with the console lid open and the AC on full blast to bring the phone back to life. Since moving it to the glove box I've never had an issue