Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Help OEM Backup/Reverse Cam upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 07:07 PM
Datez

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation OEM Backup/Reverse Cam upgrade

Alrighty folks, I don't know if I have been looking in all the wrong places and reading all the wrong threads, but I have gotten pretty frustrated with this.

I recently purchased a 2008 G37S coupe, WITHOUT the nav/backup cam feature. My windows are blacked out and it has been an absolute pain trying to reverse with this odd-shaped beast. I have sourced a few different parting out G's with the OEM equipment I can purchase and install. Every single thread I've read/found, the owner resorts to an aftermarket product.

Now for the MILLION DOLLAR QUESTION(s)...(in my case at least):
1. Is it possible to install the OEM rear backup cam, given I purchase the OEM parts (wing with camera and trunk harness, and under dash video control unit)?

2. If so, do I need to install the Nav system as well, or can I get away with just the oem reverse camera?

3. What are all the parts I would need? Obviously the wing with the camera in it, the wiring harness from the trunk to the center console, and other than that, according to my reading, just the video control unit that's lays under the center console as well.

4. Will I need to replace my entire screen/keyboard to the one that was featured with the nav/cam package, or can I keep my standard screen?

I would appreciate it if we just left this discussion to OEM parts, no suggestions/recommendations for aftermarket products regardless of how well they work or good they look, UNLESS a part is absolutely needed to make this work.

Any help/advice or guidance would be extremely helpful and extremely appreciated, THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!
Old 08-01-2017, 07:36 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,251 Likes on 1,013 Posts
1) Yes it can be done. All I used was the camera and some wire. I opted not to use the CCM (Camera Control Module) as I did not really care for the guide lines;

2) You do not need to upgrade to a NAV system unless you were swapping in a newer model (2010+) system;

3) See #1;
4) You do not need to change anything.

This is how I did and it worked fine for my needs (even after I swapped to a '14 system):

Being that you have the RCA jacks in the center console like I did, all I did was run 1 wire from the VIDEO signal (Yellow) at the camera, ran it under the seat and carpet to the center console and tapped it to the VIDEO IN signal at the RCA jack.

I ran a wire from the camera (Red) and tapped it to the Reverse lights. When you put the car in reverse, the lights come on and the camera gets 12V., the camera (White) wire connects to a good ground. The camera (Black) wire is for a shield and to this day I just leave it unconnected.

Like I said, it worked for me. Only nuisance was having to hit AUX to switch video feed but you can get used to that fairly quick. I don't have that hiccup anymore. If you want the guidelines you will just have to incorporate the CCM into the equation. If you have the S pkg. you likely already have the Steering Angle Sensor which controls, with the CCM, the guide lines.

Sounds like a lot but really it is fairly easy.
Old 08-01-2017, 10:57 PM
Datez

Originally Posted by ILM-NC G37S
1) Yes it can be done. All I used was the camera and some wire. I opted not to use the CCM (Camera Control Module) as I did not really care for the guide lines;

2) You do not need to upgrade to a NAV system unless you were swapping in a newer model (2010+) system;

3) See #1;
4) You do not need to change anything.

This is how I did and it worked fine for my needs (even after I swapped to a '14 system):

Being that you have the RCA jacks in the center console like I did, all I did was run 1 wire from the VIDEO signal (Yellow) at the camera, ran it under the seat and carpet to the center console and tapped it to the VIDEO IN signal at the RCA jack.

I ran a wire from the camera (Red) and tapped it to the Reverse lights. When you put the car in reverse, the lights come on and the camera gets 12V., the camera (White) wire connects to a good ground. The camera (Black) wire is for a shield and to this day I just leave it unconnected.

Like I said, it worked for me. Only nuisance was having to hit AUX to switch video feed but you can get used to that fairly quick. I don't have that hiccup anymore. If you want the guidelines you will just have to incorporate the CCM into the equation. If you have the S pkg. you likely already have the Steering Angle Sensor which controls, with the CCM, the guide lines.

Sounds like a lot but really it is fairly easy.
1) So if I incorporated the CCM, is it just another plug that goes to the LCD screen, or would I have to do some wiring to connect to the screen and steering sensors?

2) Is there any way to get to automatically switch on when I go into reverse? (BTW, I forgot to mention, I don't know if it would even matter, but I have a 6MT).

3) Do you by any chance have a write up with pics or anything? I'm a visual learner... lolll

4) Regardless to any of your answers for the questions I just asked, your initial response has brought so much joy to my life. THANK YOU!
Old 08-01-2017, 11:27 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Absolutely nothing gets wired to the display. There is 1 existing VIDEO Signal wire from the RCA VIDEO jack to the AV unit. I tapped the camera wire under the console to this wire. The CCM is mounted in the trunk, not the center console.

With the CCM, wires will have to be added and tapped, the existing harness does not have the additional wiring. The steering angle sensor sends the signal via CANBUS, essentially 2 wires which you could probably tap at the XM or TEL module- not 100% certain. You would need to check the AV FSM to be certain what wires would need to be redone.

I tapped the Reverse lights for camera power. 6MT or 5/7AT doesn't matter- if the reverse lights are on the camera has power. You would still have to switch the display to AUX to get the image- as far as I know there is no relay to automatically trigger the switch. I personally liked it this way as I could choose if I needed the rear view image or not.

I do not have any writing or schematics related to this project. I just have my notes from my NAV swap project and they would not be of help here. As mentioned, it seems like a lot of hassle but really it took me less than a day and I was taking my time. With the incorporation of the CCM, that might take more time at the drawing board.

If you have any questions or need help, feel free to ask.

Last edited by ILM-NC G37S; 08-01-2017 at 11:30 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 08-02-2017, 02:26 PM
Datez

Absolutely nothing gets wired to the display. There is 1 existing VIDEO Signal wire from the RCA VIDEO jack to the AV unit. I tapped the camera wire under the console to this wire. The CCM is mounted in the trunk, not the center console.

With the CCM, wires will have to be added and tapped, the existing harness does not have the additional wiring. The steering angle sensor sends the signal via CANBUS, essentially 2 wires which you could probably tap at the XM or TEL module- not 100% certain. You would need to check the AV FSM to be certain what wires would need to be redone.

I tapped the Reverse lights for camera power. 6MT or 5/7AT doesn't matter- if the reverse lights are on the camera has power. You would still have to switch the display to AUX to get the image- as far as I know there is no relay to automatically trigger the switch. I personally liked it this way as I could choose if I needed the rear view image or not.

I do not have any writing or schematics related to this project. I just have my notes from my NAV swap project and they would not be of help here. As mentioned, it seems like a lot of hassle but really it took me less than a day and I was taking my time. With the incorporation of the CCM, that might take more time at the drawing board.

If you have any questions or need help, feel free to ask.

So when I go to the parts car to get my parts, all I will need, to do it your way, is the rear wing with the camera in it, and the wires connected to the back of the camera? I will also need some extra new wire to run the length of the trunk to the center console. Anything else?

I think my last two questions are:

1. Is every g trunk already drilled for the camera wiring, or will I have to drill a hole?

2. Since I will be using the AUX button to control the camera on the screen, will I be able to still use the AUX in for music (I have Bluetooth receiver hooked up to it)? And if I am still able to use it, will it cut out the music every time I reverse or want to see the camera view?
Old 08-02-2017, 03:50 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

That is correct. I just bought the chrome wing and camera off eBay. I paid around $75 for a complete unit and got lucky that the chrome was in excellent condition. If your donor car has all of the harnesses I would get as much as I could.

Here is a picture of a extra camera that I have (separate project). There are only 4 wires of which I only used 3:

OEM Backup/Reverse Cam upgrade-20170802_153854-0-.jpg

As you are only piping in a video signal the audio channels should not be affected. Being that you are already in AUX, I would guess that once the camera is powered on the image will automatically come up.

Also, there will be no drilling involved at all. The hardest part of the wiring, for me, was running the wire under the carpet to the center console as Infiniti used some type of tar-like adhesive to glue the carpet down. A minor annoyance...
Old 08-02-2017, 06:35 PM
Datez

That is correct. I just bought the chrome wing and camera off eBay. I paid around $75 for a complete unit and got lucky that the chrome was in excellent condition. If your donor car has all of the harnesses I would get as much as I could.

Here is a picture of a extra camera that I have (separate project). There are only 4 wires of which I only used 3:

Attachment 168749

As you are only piping in a video signal the audio channels should not be affected. Being that you are already in AUX, I would guess that once the camera is powered on the image will automatically come up.

Also, there will be no drilling involved at all. The hardest part of the wiring, for me, was running the wire under the carpet to the center console as Infiniti used some type of tar-like adhesive to glue the carpet down. A minor annoyance...

ok, so for that plug on the end of the wires in that picture, did you cut that off and extend the wires, or did you install the male/female corresponding plug onto your harness?
Old 08-02-2017, 07:38 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

I just chopped it off and spliced wires accordingly. My car had the extra connector for the 3rd brake light (decklid mounted) which wasn't being used so I repurposed those wires (12VDC and GND) and just ran 1 wire for the VIDEO Signal.

When running wires through the flex connector (decklid to body) be sure to leave some slack so to prevent flex stress and wire fatigue from opening/closing of the decklid.
Old 08-18-2017, 12:09 PM
JZ310
Registered Member

Sounds like youre skeptical about it all. Would you be interested in an ALL OEM kit from a 370z? They do not have a screen, but the screen pops up on the rearview mirror. I have a brand new kit if you're interested.