Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

I have a 08 g37s coupe with nav and wanting to upgrade my sound system

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 09:55 PM
SquadRobo
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 08 g37s coupe with nav and wanting to upgrade my sound system

I have a coupe with Bose and nav and looking to upgrade my system anyone with ideas to help would be nice. I was thinking about putting an aftermarket TV in but have not found anything that I could use to keep the factory screen. Thanks for the help
Old 04-12-2017, 12:08 AM
HotSawce
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by SquadRobo
I have a coupe with Bose and nav and looking to upgrade my system anyone with ideas to help would be nice. I was thinking about putting an aftermarket TV in but have not found anything that I could use to keep the factory screen. Thanks for the help
Depends on a few things, mainly your budget. First and foremost, add a subwoofer in the trunk. This will make the biggest difference than anything. Just put my two 10's in today . When it comes to upgrading the other speakers, the cheapest and simplest thing you could do would be to simply replace the 5 mid-range speakers and tweeters, while keeping the factory amp. This can be done because these speakers are ~4ohms and they would be getting enough power. The improvement will be limited though. Instead of that, if your budget and effort willing to put in permits, you can do a complete overhaul, do away with all of factory equipment, add a new amp, and add a 2-way component system in the front. This will yield the greatest improvement. Let me know if you have more questions!
Old 04-12-2017, 06:03 AM
SquadRobo
Registered Member

I plan on adding a amp and subs

Thanks for the reply I am planning on adding a amp and sub. And interior speakers will get replaced also my thing is with the 08 it doesn't come with a USB and I have a double din TV that does but I have not found a bracket and harness that will work to be able to use the factory screen and climate controls
Old 04-12-2017, 07:47 AM
monytx
Registered Member

Received 116 Likes on 109 Posts
It's gonna be a real pain in the *** to replace the bose. I'd just add a sound processor, and an amp with subs. BTW I have a subwoofer box for two 2 10s for the coupe. It sits all the way against the back.
Old 04-12-2017, 09:06 AM
Kris9884

Received 202 Likes on 186 Posts
I have one 8" JBL in a very slim box measured for the optimum square foot that the sub calls for and it sounds amazing. The coupes trunk is very well sealed and a little sub goes a long ways. I couldn't imagine having 2 10's or 12's, it would just rattle the car apart. We already have random rattle issues as it is. If it were me, I would just grab a 10" at the most and replace the speakers in the car. The stock head unit is just fine. If you replace the screen, you're going to have a world of headaches, its tied into almost all the climate control and options in the car. Plus they just look tacky man, don't ruin it...
Old 04-12-2017, 10:58 AM
SquadRobo
Registered Member

Thanks

Thanks guys for the Input I was think just get a nice 10 to fit in the back of the trunk. What kind of sound processor did you use.
Old 04-12-2017, 11:16 AM
HotSawce
Registered Member

Originally Posted by monytx
It's gonna be a real pain in the *** to replace the bose. I'd just add a sound processor, and an amp with subs. BTW I have a subwoofer box for two 2 10s for the coupe. It sits all the way against the back.
Why do you say that? I don't think it should be that hard at all. Certainly not compared to adding a processor, adding new amp for more powerful speakers and replacing everything. Getting some new 2.5" or 3" drivers should be a relatively simple drop in replacement.

And you don't need a processor for the subs. I simply tapped in to the speaker wire for our factory subs and used it as a speaker level input for sub's amp, and it works great.
Old 04-12-2017, 11:26 AM
HotSawce
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Kris9884
I have one 8" JBL in a very slim box measured for the optimum square foot that the sub calls for and it sounds amazing. The coupes trunk is very well sealed and a little sub goes a long ways. I couldn't imagine having 2 10's or 12's, it would just rattle the car apart. We already have random rattle issues as it is. If it were me, I would just grab a 10" at the most and replace the speakers in the car. The stock head unit is just fine. If you replace the screen, you're going to have a world of headaches, its tied into almost all the climate control and options in the car. Plus they just look tacky man, don't ruin it...
Idk man. Hard for me to agree with you. I was coming from 2 12's sealed in my G35 sedan, which I can say was more than enough bass. I have now moved to two 10's, getting 600 watts each, which sits perfectly in the back as well. It's just right. I am a bass head haha. I wouldn't be able to do 1 10, unless it was getting all 1200 watts. Adding a single 10 will certainly add some missing bass to the system, and may be enough for those only wanting a little, but if you love bass, you gotta go two 10's all day.

And OP, again, you don't need a processor for the subs. You would only need one for 1 of two reasons. 1) You want to sum up a bunch of channels to create a full - range channel. This would apply if you planned on getting an amp as well to power aftermarket speakers. This amp would need a full range signal and our factory amp has none I don't believe. 2) You would want a processor if the factory system experiences bass roll off at higher volumes. I don't believe ours does that either because we have dedicated subwoofers. This only usually occurs when systems use the speakers that play the mid-range to play the bass as well so at higher volumes, they aren't as likely to distort.

And OP, yeah, don't try adding a screen or anything. That is going to be ridiculous headaches.

Last edited by HotSawce; 04-12-2017 at 11:39 AM.
Old 04-12-2017, 05:24 PM
SquadRobo
Registered Member

Thanks guys... I saw that metra has a aftermarket bezel for a non nav g37s that has inputs for all the facorty climate stuff which would be ideal for me but it doesn't offer one for a nav system. I think I'm leaning more to just adding 2 10s with amp I'm sure there are boxes that will fill the back of the trunk that can leave a Lil space to have small stuff in the trunk. For the interior speakers what brand of speakers do you recommend for a clear but loud sound
Old 04-12-2017, 05:27 PM
HotSawce
Registered Member

Originally Posted by SquadRobo
Thanks guys... I saw that metra has a aftermarket bezel for a non nav g37s that has inputs for all the facorty climate stuff which would be ideal for me but it doesn't offer one for a nav system. I think I'm leaning more to just adding 2 10s with amp I'm sure there are boxes that will fill the back of the trunk that can leave a Lil space to have small stuff in the trunk. For the interior speakers what brand of speakers do you recommend for a clear but loud sound

For the box, I would go with this:
https://www.supercrewsound.com/G37Coupe.html

Cheap, but pretty good quality. And for those wanting an oem look, it fits the contours of the trunk quite nicely, at least compared to standard rectangular box. I just finished installing mine yesterday, in fact, it leaves about half of the trunk left.
The following users liked this post:
jpowersjr2 (04-12-2017)
Old 04-12-2017, 05:31 PM
HotSawce
Registered Member

In regards to the speakers, again, it depends what your budget is and how much effort you want to put in. If you want to just do drop in replacements, you certainly won't get more output (loudness) in fact, it may be a tad less, but you might get some improved clarity. Adding a new amp & processor, and new speakers will yield the best results but it'll be far more costly and time-consuming. Do you have the skills to do the installation yourself or would you need to pay for it?

All in all, which route do you want to go with? That greatly affects which speakers you should be looking at.
Old 04-13-2017, 06:03 PM
SquadRobo
Registered Member

I dont really have a budget per se I do not mind paying for quality. I can do the install myself. Its been a while since I really been into the audio scene so dont really know what's the best out. As far as sub and amp I am looking at a jl10w7 and jl amp. My second to last car I had had the 13w7
Old 04-13-2017, 11:22 PM
HotSawce
Registered Member

damn, well the W7 is an incredible sub. With the box I linked you to, you definitely can't do 2 of those, as it's about 1 cuf before total before displacement and the W7 wants about 1.25 cuf sealed. You could probably get away with 1 of those in that box (just tell them to make 1 cutout and that will sound very nice. Or you could do something like two IDQ 10's. Excellent sound quality, maybe a bit less than the W7 and will probably yield more output because there's two.
Old 04-14-2017, 10:39 AM
Kris9884

Received 202 Likes on 186 Posts
Originally Posted by HotSawce
Idk man. Hard for me to agree with you. I was coming from 2 12's sealed in my G35 sedan, which I can say was more than enough bass. I have now moved to two 10's, getting 600 watts each, which sits perfectly in the back as well. It's just right. I am a bass head haha. I wouldn't be able to do 1 10, unless it was getting all 1200 watts. Adding a single 10 will certainly add some missing bass to the system, and may be enough for those only wanting a little, but if you love bass, you gotta go two 10's all day.
Haha probably just me getting old (30). I had 2 12's when I was younger in my Lexus but when I bought the G, the previous owner already had a sub/amp installed. It's only an 8" JBL, but its crisp and does the job. I may go full crazy and jump to a 10" if I see a good deal lmao.
Old 04-14-2017, 11:22 AM
monytx
Registered Member

Received 116 Likes on 109 Posts
Originally Posted by HotSawce
Why do you say that? I don't think it should be that hard at all. Certainly not compared to adding a processor, adding new amp for more powerful speakers and replacing everything. Getting some new 2.5" or 3" drivers should be a relatively simple drop in replacement.

And you don't need a processor for the subs. I simply tapped in to the speaker wire for our factory subs and used it as a speaker level input for sub's amp, and it works great.
From what I remember, we have a ton of speakers, and getting to them is the hard part and a lot of work. A sound processor shouldn't be too bad to install though.