Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

For the Connected Car "CarPlay-Like" Experience

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2018, 03:48 PM
Micheal Gordon

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I placed it in my glovebox, incase this issue . Also routed the usb cable toward the cigarette lighter box like another member here. I'll definitely update if there is any issues.

edit: I found the ***** in ebay, Carsmo doesnt make them anymore

​​​​​​https://www.ebay.com/itm/Aluminum-Ra...gAAOSw8GtZQcsg
The following users liked this post:
paclypse71 (12-22-2018)
Old 01-07-2019, 01:10 AM
paclypse71

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't get the VL2 in my 2014 Q60 to recognize an iPod or iPhone connected to the USB 2 port in the Local Music app. I use the same iPhone connected to USB 1 for CarPlay without issues. When connected to USB 2 the devices will only charge. Any help GromAudio?
Old 01-08-2019, 02:43 PM
gromaudio
MYG37.COM Sponsor

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
USB2 port is only for keyboard, mouse, USB sticks, etc. USB2 will not accept iPod or iPhone. Only USB1.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:08 AM
Micheal Gordon

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
when is the update being release ?
and i had a problem the other day , where i would get no audio from the unit?
Old 01-17-2019, 08:56 PM
gromaudio
MYG37.COM Sponsor

Originally Posted by Micheal Gordon
when is the update being release ?
and i had a problem the other day , where i would get no audio from the unit?
We will start shipping VL2 with 8.1 next week. Update from 5.1 to 8.1 is still in works and should be completed in 2-3 weeks. Thank you for bearing with us while we work on it!

Per your other problem, please make sure to contact tech support at https://gromaudio.com/support.html if the issue will happen again.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:04 PM
pburger
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by gromaudio
It should be fixed in FW16.
On Jan 11, I had another blank screen startup event. So, it is NOT fixed in v16. It is such a PITA to pull that connector off and then put it back.

Any ideas?
Old 01-18-2019, 03:19 PM
gromaudio
MYG37.COM Sponsor

Originally Posted by pburger
On Jan 11, I had another blank screen startup event. So, it is NOT fixed in v16. It is such a PITA to pull that connector off and then put it back.

Any ideas?
Let us look into this again. Was it cold during that day ?
Old 01-18-2019, 05:06 PM
pburger
Registered Member

Let us look into this again. Was it cold during that day ?
Not really cold at all. I live in Houston, TX. It was about 60°F at the time. It was Friday, Jan 11 at around 6:30pm.
Old 01-25-2019, 06:42 PM
knyghtfire
Registered Member

Ok....I’ve had my V2 for a while now and I’m starting to get a little frustrated. Using it for Apple Carplay works just like it should. “I wish it was wireless instead of wired....but....baby steps”. The main problem that is frustrating is tethering. It connected to Bluetooth automatically which is great. But it doesn’t connect to the internet....I have to manually go into the settings and click Bluetooth, click on my phone, and click “internet” access.....EVERY TIME! I’ve even tried using personal hotspot with my phone....same thing....it doesn’t connect and I have to manually connect to my wifi. This is weird because it connects to my home wifi just fine. I’m currently using an iPhone 10. I saw a few people say they have had connection issues but their solutions haven’t worked for me. Anyone else have these types of issues? Or are you just dealing with it?
Old 01-26-2019, 11:44 AM
pburger
Registered Member

Here's a few points about tethering:

When you turn on the Personal Hotspot on your iPhone, it will broadcast the SSID of your WIFI for a few minutes, but then stops. I think it does that so the battery doesn't drain. The VLINE WIFI can't see you phone via WIFI once it stops broadcasting. You can turn off Personal Hotspot and then turn it back on again EVERY TIME YOU GET IN THE CAR, and that should work. As Sweetie Brown says, "Ain't nobody got time for that!".

So, I use Bluetooth tethering on my iPhone. I have WIFI turned OFF on the Vline, and Bluetooth turned on. When I start the car, it takes about 30 seconds or so for the Bluetooth to come on on the Vline (I look for the Bluetooth symbol in the upper right corner of the display - I didn't time it, but it's about 30 seconds). Then it takes 30 seconds for the iPhone to connect the personal hotspot (I look for the blue bar across the top of the iPhone screen - I timed this from the time the bluetooth appeared on the Vline and it takes EXACTLY 30 seconds for the blue bar on the iPhone to appear). When I was getting all of this figured out last year, I installed an app on the Vline called "Bluetooth Auto Connect", but I'm not sure if this is required or not. I don't want to uninstall it at this point.

One glitch: If I am on the phone when I get in the car, the bluetooth audio will connect to the car (or to the Vline) as soon as the VLINE boots up, and while that connection is active, it won't automatically connect to the bluetooth personal hotspot on the phone. I'm not sure why. I can manually connect by going to the Bluetooth settings, use for internet, etc. It's a minor inconvenience.

I've been toying with the idea of just getting a dedicated cellular hotspot for the car. In that case, I would use WIFI and it would automatically connect. But my phone is free to me, so I can't justify the expense right now.

I hope this helps.
Old 01-30-2019, 12:01 AM
gromaudio
MYG37.COM Sponsor

Originally Posted by knyghtfire
Ok....I’ve had my V2 for a while now and I’m starting to get a little frustrated. Using it for Apple Carplay works just like it should. “I wish it was wireless instead of wired....but....baby steps”. The main problem that is frustrating is tethering. It connected to Bluetooth automatically which is great. But it doesn’t connect to the internet....I have to manually go into the settings and click Bluetooth, click on my phone, and click “internet” access.....EVERY TIME! I’ve even tried using personal hotspot with my phone....same thing....it doesn’t connect and I have to manually connect to my wifi. This is weird because it connects to my home wifi just fine. I’m currently using an iPhone 10. I saw a few people say they have had connection issues but their solutions haven’t worked for me. Anyone else have these types of issues? Or are you just dealing with it?
We do not recommend using Bluetooth tethering as it is highly spotty in the car. Using Wifi hotspot is the only good way to get internet. Try reconnecting to your iPhone if it does not connect automatically. And make sure to update to the latest OTA.
Old 02-17-2019, 05:56 PM
JSylvia007

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
We do not recommend using Bluetooth tethering as it is highly spotty in the car. Using Wifi hotspot is the only good way to get internet. Try reconnecting to your iPhone if it does not connect automatically. And make sure to update to the latest OTA.
How do we get our hands on the firmware upgrade to take us to Android 8.1? I can't seem to find it anywhere on the websites or reference anywhere.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:11 PM
gromaudio
MYG37.COM Sponsor

8.1 update will be delivered via SD card. It will show up on a web site in few days. We will start shipping it late next week.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:13 PM
JSylvia007

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
8.1 update will be delivered via SD card. It will show up on a web site in few days. We will start shipping it late next week.
Will we need to use the SD Card, or can we download and apply via USB ourselves? Will you please post the location here when it's available?
The following users liked this post:
Micheal Gordon (02-19-2019)
Old 02-28-2019, 06:51 PM
knyghtfire
Registered Member

OMG $63CAD to update to 8.1.....that’s a bit steep no? But anyone who buys a Vline2 now gets 8.1 included? And it’s the same hardware, so why am I paying more? I don’t understand how early adopters pretty much gave you guys the money needed to work on this project.....yet we are the ones who get screwed!

Can I return my unit and get a replacement sent out?

Quick Reply: For the Connected Car "CarPlay-Like" Experience