Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

For the Connected Car "CarPlay-Like" Experience

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 08:02 PM
gromaudio
MYG37.COM Sponsor

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Fastg37now
infiniti with no touch screen
We have nothing for Non Navi Infiniti yet. We are looking into it though.
Old 04-23-2018, 09:04 PM
alberto555552
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gromaudio
There is mention of Android Auto compatibility in our materials or web site. Can you clarify where did you see that VLine is compatible with AA ?
https://youtu.be/7km4ZhUkcls
That's the link to Grom Audio's YouTube channel demonstrating Android Auto compatibility
Old 04-23-2018, 09:12 PM
alberto555552
Registered Member

Originally Posted by alberto555552
That's the link to Grom Audio's YouTube channel demonstrating Android Auto compatibility
We have nothing for Non Navi Infiniti yet. We are looking into it though.
Also on the Grom Vline website headline it says apple car play android auto exoeriexpe
Old 04-23-2018, 09:45 PM
gromaudio
MYG37.COM Sponsor

Also on the Grom Vline website headline it says apple car play android auto exoeriexpe
Headlines are for search engines. We will remove it though. Thanks.
Old 04-23-2018, 09:47 PM
gromaudio
MYG37.COM Sponsor

Correct, this is standalone Android Auto mode. Has nothing to do with phone driven mode. You can launch it on any Android device.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:16 PM
GoodB0Y

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You (grom) have mentioned new hardware that will mirror our phones... Anything new to tell us on this subject? I'm interested in knowing if this new hardware will allow use of the touch screen and/or buttons...

Thanks and keep up the good work
Old 04-23-2018, 10:26 PM
alberto555552
Registered Member

Correct, this is standalone Android Auto mode. Has nothing to do with phone driven mode. You can launch it on any Android device.
Yes but I haven't been able to use the standalone mode, that's what I'm trying to get help with, on the play store the standalone android auto app says incompatible, how can I use android auto like it was shown in the video
Old 04-23-2018, 11:34 PM
gromaudio
MYG37.COM Sponsor

Originally Posted by GoodB0Y
You (grom) have mentioned new hardware that will mirror our phones... Anything new to tell us on this subject? I'm interested in knowing if this new hardware will allow use of the touch screen and/or buttons...

Thanks and keep up the good work
Yes AirPlay and Chromecast will be added shortly
Old 04-24-2018, 01:25 PM
alberto555552
Registered Member

So how do we use Android Auto standalone mode like the Youtube video? I cannot download the apk from play store or third parties
Old 04-25-2018, 10:55 PM
JSylvia007

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
In the interest of keeping everyone updated, I'm going to let folks know about my current audio setup.

I really don't have a need to stream, I happen to like my local radio stations, and I don't mind using them. I'd rather not stream something I can literally get for free, so I'm hoping to leverage a Software Defined Radio with the unit... Results below...

I purchased:

USB Software Defined Radio - https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B073JZ8CC2/
Antennas - https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B073JWDXMG

I as originally hoping that it would work with NextRadio, but it doesn't. There seems to be some phone model check, so it doesn't even try.

I next moved onto SDR Touch, and there's promise there, BUT, those antennas still have quite a bit of static. I've ordered another antenna, I'm going to see how that works.
Old 04-27-2018, 08:10 AM
Phasma
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
There’s a really big market for us non nav guys, we are patiently waiting, take my money!
Old 04-27-2018, 12:09 PM
SelbyL

Originally Posted by Phasma
There’s a really big market for us non nav guys, we are patiently waiting, take my money!
Agreed, I've been looking for an Android Auto like solution for the non-nav since I bought this car. Grom's current VLINE set up is at a price point that is also cheaper than the Metra Double Din kit and a good head unit. If Grom can make a solution for less than $700 with a touch screen I think Grom will have a bunch of really happy customers.
Old 04-28-2018, 08:13 PM
mattisz
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
VL2 HDMI Out?

HDMI out is potentially the most appealing part of this unit to me. I understand that the HDMI output is designed for rear screens/HUD.

My question is what information does the HDMI output on the VL2 transmit? Does it only transmit the VL2 functionality? Or can it output the factory navigation system to an HDMI display as well?

Essentially I am asking if the HDMI output on the VL2 will allow me to view the factory navigation system on a separate HDMI monitor? This would be the only system on the market to offer that functionality (as far as I can tell) and I would gladly cough up the money for that feature alone.
Old 04-30-2018, 07:25 AM
future62

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts
Yes AirPlay and Chromecast will be added shortly
How would these enable mirroring? The main thing I want is to be able to control and see my phone screen in the dash screen. Casting from the phone is OK for stuff like video but I want a 2 way communication.

Truthfully if you guys made a box that did nothing but that I think a lot more people would be interested. Would be cheaper and easier for you guys too. No development of the interface etc on your end, aside from configuring the screen mirror. Bonus points if you could supply a higher resolution screen that still worked with all the OEM stuff.
Old 04-30-2018, 04:20 PM
gromaudio
MYG37.COM Sponsor

Originally Posted by future62
How would these enable mirroring? The main thing I want is to be able to control and see my phone screen in the dash screen. Casting from the phone is OK for stuff like video but I want a 2 way communication.

Truthfully if you guys made a box that did nothing but that I think a lot more people would be interested. Would be cheaper and easier for you guys too. No development of the interface etc on your end, aside from configuring the screen mirror. Bonus points if you could supply a higher resolution screen that still worked with all the OEM stuff.
Mirroring has been there for many years now. Just think of Mirrorlink and WebLink. They still require apps to behave differently than normal phone apps due to many factors such us lack of swipes, contrast issues, button sizes and so on. You cannot have car enabled interface on your phone for any app out there, unless that app producer have made an effort. AirPlay has limited support for media apps, such as track control.

Quick Reply: For the Connected Car "CarPlay-Like" Experience