Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

For the Connected Car "CarPlay-Like" Experience

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 06:43 PM
JSylvia007

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by gromaudio
To all current VLine owners, GROM released an OTA (over the air) update for VLine units. Read more here:
https://gromaudio.com/newsletter/mar...ta-update.html

Please update your VLine. Note that the update takes 10-20 min, so do not turn off the car during this time.

Thank you!
Any chance that this device is easily rootable? I'm looking into getting a Huawei E397U-53 USB Modem that works on several Android distros, but the new version requires root access...
Old 03-19-2018, 01:03 PM
gromaudio
MYG37.COM Sponsor

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by JSylvia007
Any chance that this device is easily rootable? I'm looking into getting a Huawei E397U-53 USB Modem that works on several Android distros, but the new version requires root access...
We currently offer T-Mobile enabled dongle:
https://gromaudio.com/store/accessor...e-g-conl1.html
It works great via Wifi currently, but will be fully supported via USB also in VLine. Unfortunately root access will not be possible.
Old 03-19-2018, 01:40 PM
JSylvia007

We currently offer T-Mobile enabled dongle:
https://gromaudio.com/store/accessor...e-g-conl1.html
It works great via Wifi currently, but will be fully supported via USB also in VLine. Unfortunately root access will not be possible.
Yes, which is great for someone wanting to potentially change carriers or have a wifi access point active all the time using power...

Is there any way that you would be willing to work with your user base instead of continually saying "no"?

I for one have rooted multiple Android devices and am comfortable with the process, but I don't know much about this device. So some level of support would be nice.

It also allows us to tinker a little bit more and experiment on our own.
Old 03-19-2018, 06:19 PM
AdamBritt
Registered Member

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts
Agreeing with Jsylvia007. One of the tenets of Android is it's openness and customization. At the very least using a different mobile hotspot with Vline should be possible even if it requires root access.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:06 PM
gromaudio
MYG37.COM Sponsor

Originally Posted by AdamBritt
Agreeing with Jsylvia007. One of the tenets of Android is it's openness and customization. At the very least using a different mobile hotspot with Vline should be possible even if it requires root access.
There will be instructions posted on how to make your own image for VL1. So you can install any apps or launchers you want. Of course there we will be no support and no OTA or automatic system updates from us with that custom image.
Old 03-19-2018, 11:53 PM
JSylvia007

There will be instructions posted on how to make your own image for VL1. So you can install any apps or launchers you want. Of course there we will be no support and no OTA or automatic system updates from us with that custom image.
Not to sound like an ungrateful customer, BUT, is it just me or does it sound like every reply is a knee-jerk "just repeat what the customer wants, no matter if we plan to deliver..."
Old 03-21-2018, 01:53 PM
JSylvia007

And here's the slap in the face to all of us who pulled the trigger on V1...

https://gromaudio.com/store/vline/se...nt_system.html

Hey @gromaudio How about a trade-up program... my V1 unit has barely 30 hours on it...
Old 03-21-2018, 02:01 PM
gromaudio
MYG37.COM Sponsor

Originally Posted by JSylvia007
And here's the slap in the face to all of us who pulled the trigger on V1...

https://gromaudio.com/store/vline/se...nt_system.html

Hey @gromaudio How about a trade-up program... my V1 unit has barely 30 hours on it...
Please contact us at https://gromaudio.com/support.html

Last edited by gromaudio; 03-21-2018 at 05:20 PM.
Old 03-21-2018, 09:34 PM
GoodB0Y

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Although I totally understand how some would be upset with new hardware offered after purchasing what was thought to be cutting edge hardware... I think in this day and age it's pretty common for technology to change and electronics to be upgraded every year... Or sooner..

Think cars, phones, computers, tv's... All having yearly cycles of hardware changes... I know I've been disappointed several times... My tv and my stereo being two that really burned me... Grrrrr... But such is the way things are with almost everything these days...
Old 03-21-2018, 09:38 PM
alberto555552
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GoodB0Y
Although I totally understand how some would be upset with new hardware offered after purchasing what was thought to be cutting edge... I think in this day and age it's pretty common for technology to change and electronics to be upgraded every year... Or sooner..

Think cars, phones, computers, tv's... All having yearly cycles of hardware changes... I know I've been disappointed several times... My tv and my stereo being two that really burned me... Grrrrr... But such is the way things are with almost everything these days...
I feel the problem is that for us 2013 and up infiniti G37 owners the product was on pre order for almost a year, by the time we actually got our compatible unit, which we paid in advance for, the new unit was already available for pre-order to be released soon after. We should have been given the option to cancel this order and have credit applied to the new release, or keep it if we were so inclined.
Old 03-21-2018, 09:44 PM
GoodB0Y

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by alberto555552
I feel the problem is that for us 2013 and up infiniti G37 owners the product was on pre order for almost a year, by the time we actually got our compatible unit, which we paid in advance for, the new unit was already available for pre-order to be released soon after. We should have been given the option to cancel this order and have credit applied to the new release, or keep it if we were so inclined.
Seeing as the v1 was put on presale in May of last year... I totally agree...
Old 03-22-2018, 08:30 AM
future62

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts
Yea this is the thing. Like the day they shipped out the V1s they announced the V2s. I sent mine back. If they make something that can mirror my phone wirelessly (thus not requiring tethering or another data bill) I'm in. I feel like the hardware requirements are lower, the data security issues are lower, and the user experience would be a lot better. Put my phone in the dash screen (and maybe offer me a higher res screen too). Very simple.

Otherwise they can keep it. Terrible way to treat customers.
Old 03-22-2018, 01:44 PM
gromaudio
MYG37.COM Sponsor

Just to clarify. The preorder for NIS9 has started on Dec-7 and was fulfilled in the first week of March. Preorder for newer model has started on Mar-18.
It is normal practice for companies to develop new products on regular basis to stay competitive. Since we support many different vehicles it will always be a car make/year that fall into "old" model sooner than others.
Old 03-24-2018, 01:45 AM
enigmacarpc
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just to clarify. The preorder for NIS9 has started on Dec-7 and was fulfilled in the first week of March. Preorder for newer model has started on Mar-18.
It is normal practice for companies to develop new products on regular basis to stay competitive. Since we support many different vehicles it will always be a car make/year that fall into "old" model sooner than others.
Just to clarify we started getting the pre-order in August I was told they would ship in September, so being that you couldn't get your product in order and had at least 5 delays, your reasoning is flawed.

How dare you say sooner or later your product falls into an old model, we just got the V1s and the V2s are coming out in a couple of months, at least with other technologies like TVs and phones we get a heads up and know if I buy a TV for Black Friday that the new model will be out shortly and thats on me, what your company pulled was getting rid of the last of your stock with the current 2010 and up G37 users, knowing you had a new model.

Your company had all the ability to start the V1 sales and alert us to the fact if we waited the V2 model would be released shortly.

Your company is horrible, the communication is beyond frustrating and the product isn't even ready for release, its full of bugs.

I will be writing my full review shortly.
Old 03-24-2018, 03:57 AM
gromaudio
MYG37.COM Sponsor

Originally Posted by enigmacarpc
Just to clarify we started getting the pre-order in August I was told they would ship in September, so being that you couldn't get your product in order and had at least 5 delays, your reasoning is flawed.
The pre-orders for NI9VL1 have started early December 2017, with anticipated ship date end of January. We had to move shipping to the end of February due to the unforeseen delay. The VLine NIS9VL1 has been shipped in batches, with some units going out end of February and the others early March.

Originally Posted by enigmacarpc
Your company is horrible, the communication is beyond frustrating and the product isn't even ready for release, its full of bugs.
Very sorry that you are not happy with the product, contact our support for an RMA.

Last edited by gromaudio; 03-24-2018 at 02:37 PM.

Quick Reply: For the Connected Car "CarPlay-Like" Experience