Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

I think I finally found a good solution for android users with Non Nav G37's!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 12:22 PM
techneutral

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think I finally found a good solution for android users with Non Nav G37's!

I have been lurking in these forums for months trying to find a good solution to get android audio on my 2011 non nav G37. I have been hesitant to install any of the inline Sirius / XM adapters for fear of voiding my warranty. All of the Bluetooth adapters that plug into the usb port, seemingly don't work, aren't available anymore, or have terrible reviews. So I have been resorting to applications that send my audio over as a phone call, and carrying an old iphone when I want to listen to music. I know I am not the only one with this issue, because I see threads all over the forum asking for a solution, and no one has one. I hope I have finally found one. I want to preface this by saying I am in no way affiliated with GROM audio, and don't care if the product does well. I'm just hopeful that this cable will work, and due to the amount of threads I see on these forums, I thought I would drop this here in hopes that it might help someone else too. Apparently a couple of days ago, GROM Launched a kickstarter for a USB cable they are calling the Wirelinq that is supposed to allow android phones to function just like iphones through our usb port. Here is the link to their kickstarter which has all the information you would need.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...on/description

They are saying that they will have the cables for order outside of the kickstarter shortly after launch and since the good early bird special is already sold out, you probably don't have much to lose by waiting until others have it in their hands and can tell you whether it works right with our cars. I; however, am not patient or apparently all that wise, so I pledged money to the kickstarter. Unfortunately my phone is USB-C so I probably won't get my cable until March at the earliest, but I will be sure to provide an update to my post with whether this thing works, and if it's any good whenever it finally arrives.
Old 11-02-2016, 02:37 PM
*ICE*
Registered Member

Received 86 Likes on 54 Posts
I dont have any problem with GROM Bluetooth audio interface for the last 2 years. I do have an Android phone as well. A Galaxy S7 Edge. My process of streaming music on my phone to the car (non-nav) is simple.

- turn on BT on the phone, and connect it to the GROM unit.
- On my screen, I press the "RADIO" button a few time to switch to the "SAT" option.
- Then I press play on my phone and everything is stream nicely.
- If I get a phone call, the phone is still connected to the native BT option from the car which is only for "phone calls" and it works wonderful. (you need to disable the "phone option" on the GROM unit and only allow it for "Media" only).

this is my GROM Bluetooth unit btw.

https://www.amazon.com/GROM-Audio-Em...cf0e566245e28a
Old 11-02-2016, 03:22 PM
techneutral

Yeah the GROM bt3 seemed to be the one solution that I saw people having any kind of luck with, but I never felt fully comfortable with them because it sounded like I needed to splice into a wire as part of the install. So, I was always afraid that if I had any issues where they could possibly discover I had made a modification that it would void the warranty I purchased with my car. Also I'm kind of lazy and removing the stereo to install it sounded like a lot of work. Still until I saw this cable my eventual plan was to buy the BT3 and take my chances on voiding my warranty. It's good to know that it you've had good results with it for a couple of years though, because if this doesn't work for me I will most likely be buying and installing that.
Old 11-02-2016, 03:56 PM
*ICE*
Registered Member

Received 86 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by techneutral
Yeah the GROM bt3 seemed to be the one solution that I saw people having any kind of luck with, but I never felt fully comfortable with them because it sounded like I needed to splice into a wire as part of the install. So, I was always afraid that if I had any issues where they could possibly discover I had made a modification that it would void the warranty I purchased with my car. Also I'm kind of lazy and removing the stereo to install it sounded like a lot of work. Still until I saw this cable my eventual plan was to buy the BT3 and take my chances on voiding my warranty. It's good to know that it you've had good results with it for a couple of years though, because if this doesn't work for me I will most likely be buying and installing that.
Void the warranty? This is only for the audio and it's hidden under your center console so unless they take it apart and know what to look for, no one will know. I have never heard any warranty-related incident for inside of the car. Most issue will happens in the engine bay or drivetrain department. Your car is a 2011 model and it has been 5 years so I think all of your warranty has expired lol.

Splicing to the wire takes 1 minute. It's super simple and easy. Did you read up on the guide? Check out the links below.

http://gromaudio.com/docs/posi-tap.pdf

http://gromaudio.com/docs/nissan_installation_ptap.pdf

For me, this solution has been flawless since day 1 and I have 0 issue so far. I am streaming podcast over BT everyday on my commute btw.
Old 11-02-2016, 04:53 PM
techneutral

Sorry I wasn't trying to argue with you or say your solution is bad, in many ways it looks more convenient than the one I found for day to day use, in that it enables Bluetooth streaming. As for the warranty, it's no longer the factory warranty, there was very little original factory or certified preowned warranty left when I got the car, so I purchased an aftermarket warranty from the infiniti dealership that includes coverage for the interior systems, such as audio. At this point I have a little over a year left on the warranty.

With the GROM unit the quality of the actual product never really made me nervous rather I was always afraid that my car would have a totally unrelated issue, and my warranty company would use the GROM kit as an excuse not to pay for it.

Also thanks for linking the instructions, that is the first time I have seen the pdf for the positap connector and it looks like a more elegant solution than I pictured.
Old 11-04-2016, 09:01 AM
Landshark
Registered Member

Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts
you can buy an Infinity amp with built-in Bluetooth.

its a more expensive solution, but you do get better sound over the crappy Bose amp as a bonus ...

Infinity Kappa K5 5-channel car amplifier with Bluetooth® connection ? 75 watts RMS x 4 at 4 ohms + 350 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms at Crutchfield.com
Old 11-09-2016, 08:25 PM
braboftw

I think I'll add to the kickstarter too. my car 2011 g37 non nav has extended warranty until 2021.
Old 05-31-2017, 03:53 PM
braboftw

anyone got the cable yet from GROM?
Old 07-25-2017, 03:27 PM
braboftw

anyone got this cord to work? does not work for me. 2011 g37sx non nav
Old 07-27-2017, 04:17 AM
puff2ice
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
nope, it doesnt fit my phone.
Old 11-22-2017, 02:15 PM
yellowjacket83

Originally Posted by braboftw
anyone got this cord to work? does not work for me. 2011 g37sx non nav
I have a 2012 non-nav and was looking at this cable as well...did you end up sending it back or find a solution? I have the GROM BT3 and am not happy with it...was looking at the wirelinq as a better solution.