Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Adding a Subwoofer to your G37 sedan W/ BOSE

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 05:53 PM
nguyem01

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Nice write up!! I just wonder if I can replace the factory and install open air sub with extra amp?
Old 03-30-2018, 02:10 PM
Slow VQ
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Subscribed
Old 03-30-2018, 05:14 PM
Bostonreefer

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
subbed for when i get around to this in the warmer weather.
thanks for the write up
Old 09-15-2018, 01:45 PM
jaydee23
Premier Member

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts
I'm trying this now
the amp remote turn on is not working as you warned
When car is running it reads 12v
When car is acc it reads 7 volts
When car running and the remote is split between Bose and aftermarket it reads 6 volts
which is not enough to turn on the additional amp

Hmmmm
Ok
Did some searching
I'm trying to use a fosgate amp
Switched amps turn on works
Looks like I'll be using this 4 channel us acoustics bridged

oh
Folks report fosgate amps need the full 12v for turn on
Old 09-18-2018, 10:39 AM
RangerPivot
Registered Member

I've had a sub in the trunk for a while now and it works well. However for some of the music I listen to I really like using the DSS (Driver Staging thing) option but it almost completely cuts out the sub. I don't know exactly what DSS is doing but I assume it just moves most of the sound from the back to the front and slightly to the right. Has anyone found a way to compensate for this? Either pulling the amp inputs from the front speakers or getting a more powerful amp?
Old 06-20-2019, 02:40 PM
11 g37x pilot
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Gregor12
Alright ladies and gents… after searching different threads and even forums I finally got my system working the way it should. So now i am going to share it on here hoping I can help after seeing all the confusing posts and questions. Here are some pics and steps.

AFTER running your power wire and ground wire to the trunk, or wherever you want to keep your amp, you need to tap into the factory audio system.
(i already buttoned up all that before i started this thread so i will not be ripping apart the interior panels to take pics again lol. I will post how i got it through the fire wall though)

1st --- you need to expose the factory amps that are mounted to the ceiling of the trunk by removing the top cover/carpet. Use a sharp flat head screw driver to pop out the 3-4 clips holding it in. Once you remove the clips and drop the cover you will see the amps in the Left corner. the aluminum finned looking things!
Attachment 135844

NOW, unplug the right harness that you see in this photo by pressing in the small plastic lock (located in the middle of the clip on the bottom side) and pulling towards the back of the car. You will tap into this side so open up the black wrapping and pull it back to expose the wires.
Attachment 135845

2nd --- You’re going to need to tap into a total of 5 wires. Here are the wires you’re going to use for a signal along with the diagram. The letters on the left symbolize the color of the wires.
BR -Brown
V - Violet
SB - Sky blue
Y - Yellow
W - White
Attachment 135846
Attachment 135847

IMPORTANT if your amp is sensitive or needs at least 12 volts for a turn on signal to work, then #20 will not work because the BOSE amp only receives about 10.5 volts when the car is running for its turn on signal.

Using 18 gauge wire, I tapped into the factory harness using wire taps and then twisted the L(+-) and the R(+-) together so i would not get them confused.
Attachment 135848

3rd --- Get a regular set of RCA cables and cut one end off of the RCA’s. (i only needed about 5 feet so i “measured” 5ft from the end i was keeping)
Attachment 135849

NEXT strip each side of the RCA wires very carefully. you will find two small wires under each side of the cable. mine were wrapped around each other but i just separated them.Attachment 135850

THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT!! DO NOT MIX THIS UP

The insulated wire in the RCA cables are going to be positive and the non-insulated wire is negative. I used butt splices for the RCAS because i didn’t want to take the time to solder them into the factory harness.

one side of the RCA cable is LEFT (+ , -) and the other side is RIGHT (+ , -)
The left ( + , -) will connect to the Sky blue and violet (factory amp) wires that you tapped into.
The right (+ , -) will connect to the brown and yellow (factory amp) wires that you tapped into.
Attachment 135851

There are others way to go about adding a sub, but IMO this is the best way. The bose head unit sends a low input signal to the bose amp in the trunk which is also what most aftermarket amps look for at the RCA inputs. This is great because you dont need a line output converter. A line output converter, or LOC, is used whenever your taking high signals (speakers or full range) and converting them to low signals for an amplifier input which is then amplified and sent out to the sub (this way can sound like crap at times depending on your LOC or setup). AFter setting my amp and sub up the way I did, I was super happy with the results! Sounds clean, loud, and responsive.

Whenever you adjust the bass setting on your head unit this will also change the signal going into the amp so it will still work! I wanted full control so I added a bad **** but the head unit is a good way to adjust if you're not going from one extreme to the other.

If anyone finds typos, issues, or something else please let me know. I will also help anyone where i can. Just post and ask. Hop this helps out my fellow VQ brothers and sisters.

Phil
Thank you for your time to post this in detail
Old 06-21-2019, 07:52 AM
Landshark
Registered Member

Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by RangerPivot
I've had a sub in the trunk for a while now and it works well. However for some of the music I listen to I really like using the DSS (Driver Staging thing) option but it almost completely cuts out the sub. I don't know exactly what DSS is doing but I assume it just moves most of the sound from the back to the front and slightly to the right. Has anyone found a way to compensate for this? Either pulling the amp inputs from the front speakers or getting a more powerful amp?
the rear speakers are just "fill" - i originally tapped the rear speaker preamp signal (before amp), and later switched it to front speaker signals - the sub is louder now.
Old 07-02-2019, 09:07 PM
deborinquen

I thank you, Gregor12, for pointing me in the right direction. I installed a small (8 inch) power sub in my 2015 Q40 AWD. Though it's no competition sound system, I was able to keep all the Bose equipment and add the extra bump I was looking for. I spliced to the sub signal and the sub amp (remote) and it's working perfectly. I ran a large gauge wire (4 gauge) from the battery to the trunk just in case I decide to make further changes. Having the service manual and wiring experience (avionics technician) certainly helped.

I took many pictures and plenty of notes if anyone else is interested. However, Gregor12, certainly helped me get the ball rolling and for that I am grateful.

deborinquen
San Antonio, TX

Last edited by deborinquen; 07-02-2019 at 09:16 PM.
Old 07-31-2019, 09:00 PM
Evin

Just wanted to say thanks for this. Just spent the evening installing my sub. I've been without since I traded in my z for the g. Will be ordering posi taps to get things tidied up. My rcas when splitting them were both covered with an extremely hard plastic so I have them in there but it's not as secure as I'd like. Ran into an issue of no sound to the sub and it's because the taps I bought, ones you originally suggested, couldnt cut through the wire properly. Got a 12" sundown sa12 with 1200 watts going to it. 2 cubic feet box ported and tuned to 32hz. This Thing pounds.
Old 07-20-2020, 01:42 PM
Andre76357

Alright ladies and gents… after searching different threads and even forums I finally got my system working the way it should. So now i am going to share it on here hoping I can help after seeing all the confusing posts and questions. Here are some pics and steps.

AFTER running your power wire and ground wire to the trunk, or wherever you want to keep your amp, you need to tap into the factory audio system.
(i already buttoned up all that before i started this thread so i will not be ripping apart the interior panels to take pics again lol. I will post how i got it through the fire wall though)

1st --- you need to expose the factory amps that are mounted to the ceiling of the trunk by removing the top cover/carpet. Use a sharp flat head screw driver to pop out the 3-4 clips holding it in. Once you remove the clips and drop the cover you will see the amps in the Left corner. the aluminum finned looking things!
Attachment 135844

NOW, unplug the right harness that you see in this photo by pressing in the small plastic lock (located in the middle of the clip on the bottom side) and pulling towards the back of the car. You will tap into this side so open up the black wrapping and pull it back to expose the wires.
Attachment 135845

2nd --- You’re going to need to tap into a total of 5 wires. Here are the wires you’re going to use for a signal along with the diagram. The letters on the left symbolize the color of the wires.
BR -Brown
V - Violet
SB - Sky blue
Y - Yellow
W - White
Attachment 135846
Attachment 135847

IMPORTANT if your amp is sensitive or needs at least 12 volts for a turn on signal to work, then #20 will not work because the BOSE amp only receives about 10.5 volts when the car is running for its turn on signal.

Using 18 gauge wire, I tapped into the factory harness using wire taps and then twisted the L(+-) and the R(+-) together so i would not get them confused.
Attachment 135848

3rd --- Get a regular set of RCA cables and cut one end off of the RCA’s. (i only needed about 5 feet so i “measured” 5ft from the end i was keeping)
Attachment 135849

NEXT strip each side of the RCA wires very carefully. you will find two small wires under each side of the cable. mine were wrapped around each other but i just separated them.Attachment 135850

The insulated wire in the RCA cables are going to be positive and the non-insulated wire is negative. I used butt splices for the RCAS because i didn’t want to take the time to solder them into the factory harness.

The left ( + , -) will connect to the Sky blue and violet (factory amp) wires that you tapped into.
The right (+ , -) will connect to the brown and yellow (factory amp) wires that you tapped into.
Attachment 135851

There are others way to go about adding a sub, but IMO this is the best way. The bose head unit sends a low input signal to the bose amp in the trunk which is also what most aftermarket amps look for at the RCA inputs. This is great because you dont need a line output converter. A line output converter, or LOC, is used whenever your taking high signals (speakers or full range) and converting them to low signals for an amplifier input which is then amplified and sent out to the sub (this way can sound like crap at times depending on your LOC or setup). AFter setting my amp and sub up the way I did, I was super happy with the results! Sounds clean, loud, and responsive.

Whenever you adjust the bass setting on your head unit this will also change the signal going into the amp so it will still work! I wanted full control so I added a bad **** but the head unit is a good way to adjust if you're not going from one extreme to the other.

If anyone finds typos, issues, or something else please let me know. I will also help anyone where i can. Just post and ask. Hop this helps out my fellow VQ brothers and sisters.

Phil
Was wondering where you went through the firewall for your power and/or ground. And also if you found a good ground in the back where that was?
Old 03-22-2022, 11:06 AM
Rambow1509

Adding a amp to factory head unit

Attachment 135844

Attachment 135845

BR -Brown
V - Violet
SB - Sky blue
Y - Yellow
W - White
Attachment 135846
Attachment 135847

Attachment 135848

Attachment 135849

Attachment 135851

Phil

Hey it looks like a light Grey wire you used because the white one is behind your fingers in the. Picture
Old 03-31-2022, 10:22 AM
Darryl123

Hi, I followed the instructions but I don't really get any sound from sub. As soon as I turn up the gain the sub clips. I have tried 3 amps and same problem can't get it to pump. Thinking maybe my wireing is not correct as you mentioned: THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT!! DO NOT MIX THIS UP.
​​​​​

Last edited by Darryl123; 03-31-2022 at 11:33 AM.