Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Adding a Subwoofer to your G37 sedan W/ BOSE

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 09:28 PM
smitty37g

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i know this is a semi older thread... But I have a question? I understand the connection for the sup amp, but what if i wanted to power the rear speakers??

I have a 4 channel amp, I will be running 2 channels mono for the sub, and the other 2 channels for the rear door speakers?? (sedan), does anyone know which wires for the rear doors at the factory amp? or have the wiring diagram for the door speakers??
Thanks
Old 04-15-2016, 11:11 PM
Gregor12
Registered Member

Received 111 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by smitty37g
i know this is a semi older thread... But I have a question? I understand the connection for the sup amp, but what if i wanted to power the rear speakers??

I have a 4 channel amp, I will be running 2 channels mono for the sub, and the other 2 channels for the rear door speakers?? (sedan), does anyone know which wires for the rear doors at the factory amp? or have the wiring diagram for the door speakers??
Thanks
What's your email. I'll send you the PDF with the wiring diagrams and color coding.

As for tapping in for the rear door speakers I guess you could just straight up by pass the factory amp. Then you could use the factory head unit for signal input and then run your own wires to the door. Be careful though, a lot claim the stock wire can't handle aftermarket power

Phil
Old 04-15-2016, 11:18 PM
smitty37g

That what i was thinking. Tapping the wires before the factory amp.. not sure if i can run the wires to the doors... but if the factory wires can handle it.. 8m changing the speakers..
Thanks for the info.. ill pm you my email address.
Old 04-17-2016, 12:47 AM
MJaga
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Gregor12

Using 18 gauge wire, I tapped into the factory harness using wire taps and then twisted the L(+-) and the R(+-) together so i would not get them confused.

Thanks for this great info. I'm looking into buying some 18 gauge wire for this, is there any particular brand/type that anyone would recommend or advise to stay away from? Thanks in advance.
Old 04-17-2016, 01:10 AM
Gregor12
Registered Member

Originally Posted by MJaga
Thanks for this great info. I'm looking into buying some 18 gauge wire for this, is there any particular brand/type that anyone would recommend or advise to stay away from? Thanks in advance.
No problem, just get some 18G speaker wire! Anything will work really. The wires are all low signal wires anyways. I don't think They carry enough power to actually cause issues. What kind of sub and amp are you adding?
Old 04-17-2016, 01:41 PM
lobuzz311
Registered Member

Received 97 Likes on 67 Posts
You can get spools of good quality speaker wire of various gauges from monoprice for next to nothing. I've done quite a few home and car audio installs using it without a hiccup.
The following users liked this post:
MJaga (04-17-2016)
Old 04-17-2016, 01:42 PM
lobuzz311
Registered Member

Received 97 Likes on 67 Posts
And whatever you do, don't buy Monster brand ANYTHING!
The following 2 users liked this post by lobuzz311:
MJaga (04-17-2016), thatsgr8 (05-11-2017)
Old 04-17-2016, 01:44 PM
MJaga
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Gregor12
No problem, just get some 18G speaker wire! Anything will work really. The wires are all low signal wires anyways. I don't think They carry enough power to actually cause issues. What kind of sub and amp are you adding?
This time I'm upgrading to a Kenwood KAC-5001PS mono amp and 2 10" Rockford Fosgate P1S4's in a Zenclosure box. Doing this on a budget and not really looking for anything fancy.

Last year I had a local shop throw in an old Sony Xplod with an even older 12" MTX Thunder 4000 sub. Since the amp had high level inputs, it looks like they tapped into the high level signal at the rear deck speaker. I was going to reuse their taps with a LOC, but this seems to be the better route. I'd rather feed the purest signal to the amp I can.

I wasn't entirely happy with the sound that came from their set up. It was also my first time ever running a system without an aftermarket head unit, so maybe my expectations are unreal. We'll see how this turns out when I get a chance to throw it together later this week.
Old 04-17-2016, 01:49 PM
MJaga
Registered Member

Originally Posted by lobuzz311
Never have, thankfully. And have read enough about it being overpriced, that I never will!
Old 04-18-2016, 12:39 AM
kennyz424

Received 1,498 Likes on 1,271 Posts
Originally Posted by lobuzz311
So true! It'll be your worst investment!
Old 04-18-2016, 07:18 AM
smitty37g

Question, How did everyone run the power wire for the amp???
I cant find a hole in the pass side firewall, but there are a couple of holes in the trunk, so I can run it under the car. I don't really want to drill any holes and find a rubber grommet to fit.
Old 04-18-2016, 07:23 AM
smitty37g

I'm using a crunch amp and a sony xplode sub. probably kenwood or pioneer speakers for the door. I am thinking of getting a free air sub instead to put where the factory crappy sub is.
Old 04-18-2016, 10:02 AM
TBau651

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Question, How did everyone run the power wire for the amp???
I cant find a hole in the pass side firewall, but there are a couple of holes in the trunk, so I can run it under the car. I don't really want to drill any holes and find a rubber grommet to fit.
If you remove most of the plastic pieces around the battery cover there is a factory rubber grommet that is carrying other various wires in through the passenger side. I poked a hole in the grommet and pushed the power wire through, the wire will come out behind the glove box liner panel (There are some good DIY's out there for removing the glove box and liner) I used a silicone sealer around the hole in the grommet once I got the wire in. Then run the wire up the passenger side under the plastic pieces near the kick plates. If you remove the bench part of the back seat there is a hole that goes into the trunk on the pass. side. Getting the power wire to feed into the trunk was the hardest part, I ended up using a coat hanger with a hook on one end to help fish the wire through.
The following users liked this post:
Skateinthesun (04-21-2021)
Old 04-18-2016, 10:08 AM
smitty37g

Ok. Sweet.. did u have to remove the battery?? Or jusy the plastics?
I know how to remove the glove box..

Thanks for the info
Old 04-18-2016, 03:17 PM
Gregor12
Registered Member

Ok. Sweet.. did u have to remove the battery?? Or jusy the plastics?
I know how to remove the glove box..

Thanks for the info
Just the plastic around the battery. No need to remove the glove box either. Just pass it under the door jam trim or whatever it's called.

Quick Reply: Adding a Subwoofer to your G37 sedan W/ BOSE