Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Upgrading stock speakers

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 11:47 AM
Lances Infiniti

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Upgrading stock speakers

Has anyone upgraded the stock speakers on the g37? I want a good amount of bass and quality sound without adding a sub. Any suggestions?
Old 09-19-2015, 09:36 PM
flyng_fool
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Lances Infiniti
Has anyone upgraded the stock speakers on the g37? I want a good amount of bass and quality sound without adding a sub. Any suggestions?
Thats going to hard to do unless you can find some shallow mount 10" speakers. Any 6 1/2" speakers aren't going to put out a lot of bass. I just swapped mine out and while the bass is a bit better, it's nothing special. They do have some subwoofer packages that don't take up a lot of room. This is the one I think I'm going to go with.

Amazon.com : Belva BPKG112 600W Complete Bass Package with 12" Sub in Ported Box, Monoblock Amplifier and Amp Kit : Vehicle Subwoofer Systems : Car Electronics Amazon.com : Belva BPKG112 600W Complete Bass Package with 12" Sub in Ported Box, Monoblock Amplifier and Amp Kit : Vehicle Subwoofer Systems : Car Electronics
Old 09-20-2015, 02:36 PM
blazeplacid

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts
6 1/2" speakers are not meant to be sub woofers. The 10" "woofers" in the doors of the bose set up are ok at best.

Bose set up or not....anything is better in the doors.

This site will have what you need either way

PVC Speaker Adapters - CNC Machined - In Stock or Custom Made
The following users liked this post:
Upscale Speed (09-21-2015)
Old 09-20-2015, 04:02 PM
flyng_fool
Registered Member

I just made my own speaker adapters. Took me all of 15 minutes and maybe $5 worth of material.
Old 09-22-2015, 10:01 PM
Upscale Speed
Premier Member

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
Has anyone replaced the Bose speakers with aftermarkets and amplified them while retaining the stock HU? If so can you please provide details on how you did that and what the result was?
Old 09-23-2015, 08:45 AM
blazeplacid

Originally Posted by Upscale Speed
Has anyone replaced the Bose speakers with aftermarkets and amplified them while retaining the stock HU? If so can you please provide details on how you did that and what the result was?
This can be done with a line out put converter. Some LOC are as simple as tapping into wires behind the head unit and running a single pair of RCA cables. Some can be very complex.

You keep all the factory head unit functions and basically "bypass" all of the factory audio processing.

The chain would go

factory head unit ---- LOC --- amp ---- speaker
The following users liked this post:
Upscale Speed (09-23-2015)
Old 09-23-2015, 03:59 PM
SchoonerVanHlmt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have been looking at the 8" Free Air Shallow Mount Pioneer TS-SW2002D2. The Crutchfield rep told me the 10" Stock Bose Door Woofer is actually 9.4" and 1.3ohms. You can wire this 8" dual voice coil in a 1ohm or 4ohm configuration. You may have to modify a mount for these...

Not sure if this will improve the sound or not with the stock Bose Amps... But I might try these soon..

Here is the link:
Pioneer TS-SW2002D2 600W 8-inch TS Series Shallow Mount Dual 2 ohm Subwoofer at Onlinecarstereo.com

I really don't want to replace my amps nor place a box in my truck as I use it very often and need the space.
Old 09-23-2015, 04:30 PM
blazeplacid

Those subs are not free air.

I don't think you are going to find anything that will suit your needs.

Any decent speakers will need a good amp to power them.
Old 09-23-2015, 05:15 PM
Upscale Speed
Premier Member

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
How has installed a quality LOC to the headunit and what wires were tapped? Did you use t-taps?
Old 09-23-2015, 07:26 PM
Landshark
Registered Member

Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by blazeplacid
This can be done with a line out put converter. Some LOC are as simple as tapping into wires behind the head unit and running a single pair of RCA cables. Some can be very complex.

You keep all the factory head unit functions and basically "bypass" all of the factory audio processing.

The chain would go

factory head unit ---- LOC --- amp ---- speaker
why the LOC? cant you get the low level HU signals before they hit the Bose amp and send those to an amp with low level inputs?
Old 09-24-2015, 12:41 PM
flyng_fool
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Landshark
why the LOC? cant you get the low level HU signals before they hit the Bose amp and send those to an amp with low level inputs?
It depends. If the gain is too low on the stock HU then you'll need something to boost the signal.
Old 09-24-2015, 06:52 PM
Landshark
Registered Member

Originally Posted by flyng_fool
It depends. If the gain is too low on the stock HU then you'll need something to boost the signal.
it seems to be enough for the Bose amp, right?
they are preamp signals. you send them to your "power amp", either Bose or aftermarket.
Old 09-25-2015, 12:57 PM
flyng_fool
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Landshark
it seems to be enough for the Bose amp, right?
they are preamp signals. you send them to your "power amp", either Bose or aftermarket.
Yes, but some manufacturers set their output voltage at 1V and others set it at 2.85V. So for some amps it's not quite enough gain. I honestly don't know about the Bose HU.
Old 09-25-2015, 02:26 PM
blazeplacid

the rear speakers are very under powered.

I could barely get a signal from them. I had to use the front signal.

I always try my best to bypass or just not use any part of the factory audio.
Old 09-25-2015, 02:44 PM
Landshark
Registered Member

Originally Posted by flyng_fool
Yes, but some manufacturers set their output voltage at 1V and others set it at 2.85V. So for some amps it's not quite enough gain. I honestly don't know about the Bose HU.

worked for my powered sub - i tapped off the rear right and left signal from the HU at the Bose amp connector.

and to the OP, i think adding a powered sub will be MUCH easier than tearing the entire car apart to replace all the speakers and add an aftermarket amp. with some tweaking of the HU bass & treble, and messing with my iPod EQ, i'm happy enough with the sound.

if space is the concern, most powered subs can be easily removed by undoing the connector and removing it, if you are anticipating filling the trunk up on a shopping trip, etc.

Quick Reply: Upgrading stock speakers