Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Please help! I lost my remote / keyfob / smartkey / key / keyless entry

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 07:07 PM
STEVE-O

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please help! I lost my remote / keyfob / smartkey / key / keyless entry

FML! This is the 3rd smartkey that I have lost. Is there a way to locate it using radio communication? Can I search for them like I am searching for a "bug" (wireless spy listening device)? I have access to such equipment, but I need to know how the thing communicates. Can I search for its antennae like how a cops radar detector-detector works? What does the car send out when I hit the unlock on the trunk? Any help is much appreciated! The things are somewhere in the house...but so far, no nada.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:49 PM
Fezzik

Received 57 Likes on 11 Posts
highly unlikely. the key only emits a signal a few feet in distance. As for a detector i dont know of one.

You need to attach a remote (like for TVs) on your FOB
Old 08-31-2011, 12:56 PM
kchu221
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
LOL 3 keys?? my keys stay in my pocket and never leave cuz you can start the car without plugging it in... but i think you should just go to the dealer and order a new one... i think its around 300 for a new one...
Old 08-31-2011, 01:07 PM
Gamedog
Sam Rothstein

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Pretty sure OP has already found out that he can only resort to buying a new one if he hasn't found it yet =/

I slip my single house key inside of the key fob case that I bought from a vendor here:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/support...key-cover.html

Keeps the pockets less bulky and you know it'll always be there
Old 09-03-2011, 03:29 AM
Devil G

Originally Posted by kchu221
LOL 3 keys?? my keys stay in my pocket and never leave cuz you can start the car without plugging it in... but i think you should just go to the dealer and order a new one... i think its around 300 for a new one...
It's actually around 450+ if he has to get the key cut as well. Damn stealerships.
Old 09-15-2011, 02:59 PM
mudpaw

I had to purchase am intellikey and have it cut/programed last month. Cost at the Greenwood Indiana Infiniti dealer was $235.00.

They wouldn't touch the key I got off of eBay. Same p/n and revision status as the one from the dealer.
Old 09-16-2011, 03:00 AM
Soliditude

Originally Posted by STEVE-O
FML! This is the 3rd smartkey that I have lost. Is there a way to locate it using radio communication? Can I search for them like I am searching for a "bug" (wireless spy listening device)? I have access to such equipment, but I need to know how the thing communicates. Can I search for its antennae like how a cops radar detector-detector works? What does the car send out when I hit the unlock on the trunk? Any help is much appreciated! The things are somewhere in the house...but so far, no nada.

Bro, best thing you can do is get a new key from the dealer and then figure out a solid way not to lose your keys ever again, lol. But yeah, I don't believe you'd be able to do any of that gizzmo stuff on a key. Unless the button on it is pressed, there is really no signal its sending.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:27 PM
OLPEMI

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Guys, I lost my key too and couldn't go to work today. FML

I have a question. Can the dealership make me a new one without my car actually being there? Or will i need to tow my car to dealership and get it programmed there?

The above quotes say $300 / $450+ / $235..... ARE YOU KIDDING???? WOW.....
I guess I will find out tomorrow how much Dallas dealership cost....
Old 12-03-2011, 12:05 AM
KAMSFODO

Originally Posted by OLPEMI
Hey Guys, I lost my key too and couldn't go to work today. FML

I have a question. Can the dealership make me a new one without my car actually being there? Or will i need to tow my car to dealership and get it programmed there?

The above quotes say $300 / $450+ / $235..... ARE YOU KIDDING???? WOW.....
I guess I will find out tomorrow how much Dallas dealership cost....
Yes you will have to tow the car to the dealership,the programer has to be plugged into the obd2 port of the car to program your new key.
Old 12-03-2011, 12:15 AM
OLPEMI

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by KAMSFODO
Yes you will have to tow the car to the dealership,the programer has to be plugged into the obd2 port of the car to program your new key.

okay, thank you for the note
Old 12-03-2011, 09:42 AM
SwissCheeseHead

Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts
Note to self: Learn from others' mistakes. My damn key is getting surgically embedded into my chest LOL!
Old 10-29-2015, 12:20 PM
m3clubracer
Registered Member

Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by mudpaw
I had to purchase am intellikey and have it cut/programed last month. Cost at the Greenwood Indiana Infiniti dealer was $235.00.

They wouldn't touch the key I got off of eBay. Same p/n and revision status as the one from the dealer.
Dreyer & Reinbold sucks *****. The store on the North side won't even talk to you about parts until you give them a VIN number...for anything. I have hung up on the *** of a parts guy many times.
Old 10-29-2015, 03:18 PM
Landshark
Registered Member

Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts
my fob and house key is on a carabiner clip - attached to duffel bag handle i take to work, or to a belt loop if not at work.
Old 10-29-2015, 03:45 PM
Roblom
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
You can attach a bluetooth beacon on it, then you can track it. But first you have to find the current one or buy a new one.

Maybe this is something for you :-)
Old 10-30-2015, 11:29 AM
m3clubracer
Registered Member

Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts
I still have the first fob I use every day. Do the fobs use bluetooth? What kind of signal do they emit?

Quick Reply: Please help! I lost my remote / keyfob / smartkey / key / keyless entry