Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

STI-R + install radar detector

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 12:01 AM
Fezzik

Received 57 Likes on 11 Posts
STI-R + install radar detector

Well. Since I have a vert, I dont like leaving my radar detector out when I have the top down to go into a store or restaurant for a little bit, or anything else. So i wanted performance. I was about to get the 9500ci but that cost a bit more and doesnt have all the features as this one. This has Ka band segementation to help get alerted quicker, GPS for redlight and speed cams and false positives like automatic doors. ALso RDR (fitlers out false positive). This radar detector just came out not too long ago. I consider it to be the best radar detector. I do not currently have laser shifters on the car as I am in IL and they are illegal and I am debating on what to do here. I figure i post up a few pics of the install.

This is a pic of everything before I installed the kit or sent my mirror to get the display put in.

I also had beltronics change the led display and control module to blue so it would better match the interior of the G37

This module I decided to double tape and put it on the BCM which worked great.

So a big relief was that the GPS fit perfectly in the A pillar. There are two wires run here. One for the display unit and the other for the GPS which you see the black square

For the G's the best place to go through the firewall is behind the battery. You can easily take off the battery cover and also the black plastic piece that sits snug agaist the window. The window piece snug against the window is in halfs (drivers and passengers) Once open you have access to this and I ran the wire through this rubber and the detector wire has a weather gromut to help keep water out. I punched a hole with a small screw driver and force the wire through

The actual radar box I had to mount on the lower bumper support beam so it actually is seen from the lower grill. I dont have a pic of this b/c it was dark and no light in a garage. this is not hard to install. Just get self tapping screws and install it.

I sent my mirror off to radar-mirror.com and a gentelman by the name of Scott Wheeler worked on getting the display into my mirror. this is the first time the STI-R + is being installed into a mirror. I got the mirror back and it looked like this.
STIr Plus NA Mirror.mp4 video by dapexruen - Photobucket

Looks good right? well there were some issues. One is that I ordered the blue light and it was a little dark in the mirror. Still readable but dark. Also there was some wavyness in the mirror. He said ship it back on his dime and he'll make it right. He did tell me to make the display brighter it would show a little of the gold from the led display. I didnt mind that (and after getting it back I cant even see it hardly) Once I got the mirror back, it still had wavyness. He said again ship it back on his dime and he'll look at it. He finally saw what the problem was. This guy does quality work, and he checked it out after everythign was wired and in place and BEFORE he snapped the back cover back on. He did this because if there was something wrong he didnt want to have to snap open the cover again. The problem was that The cover snaped back into place without any problems or resistance. But it barely puts enough pressure on the mirror itself to cause bowing. There is no room b/c the circuit board is in that area and with the display there is no room. However there is room on the bottom right of the mirror which i agreed to do. Scott next dayed it back to me and all is well and it works. Impecable customer service from Scott Wheeler at radar-mirror.com. I would do buisness with them again. here is apic of the final. Sorry this is a cell phone pic

Completely hidden. I have not figure out where I am going to put the control module yet. I have it sitting between the ashtray and shifter for now.
Old 05-01-2011, 12:13 AM
MyocyteX

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
That mirror is awesome!
Old 05-01-2011, 12:15 AM
equetefue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
excellent work there.
Old 05-01-2011, 12:15 AM
P Casey
Premier Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
good stuff ! great set up
Old 05-01-2011, 03:35 PM
Djfarhan
Registered Member

Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts
mm please do it for me :P
Old 05-01-2011, 04:54 PM
sunten1

That mirror is awesome!!!
Old 05-02-2011, 09:28 AM
CDONNS

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The radar receiver doesn't have to be visible. I mounted mine to the top of the bumper support beam and it is behind the lower part of my grill. As long as it's behind plastic and not metal you're good to go, the radar signal will still be picked up. Laser detection/jamming modules, however, will have to have clear sight and not be behind anything.

You may also want to put a little sealant around that extra hole in the grommet. Looks like a pretty tight fit but better safe than sorry I would say.

Also, FWIW, I mounted my display to the left of the steering wheel/dash. Just in front of the A pillar, above the vent. Then, I ran the mute button down to the center console by my right thigh/knee. Excellent places for both in my opinion for both stealth and convenience.

And, finally, how come you changed the position of the display in the mirror from driver side (video) to passenger side (pic). Wouldn't it be better on the driver side?
Old 05-02-2011, 12:45 PM
Presto

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
wow really nice work and clean install.
i use a cap to hide my radar detector lol.
Old 05-02-2011, 01:51 PM
Fezzik

Originally Posted by CDONNS
The radar receiver doesn't have to be visible. I mounted mine to the top of the bumper support beam and it is behind the lower part of my grill. As long as it's behind plastic and not metal you're good to go, the radar signal will still be picked up. Laser detection/jamming modules, however, will have to have clear sight and not be behind anything.

You may also want to put a little sealant around that extra hole in the grommet. Looks like a pretty tight fit but better safe than sorry I would say.

Also, FWIW, I mounted my display to the left of the steering wheel/dash. Just in front of the A pillar, above the vent. Then, I ran the mute button down to the center console by my right thigh/knee. Excellent places for both in my opinion for both stealth and convenience.

And, finally, how come you changed the position of the display in the mirror from driver side (video) to passenger side (pic). Wouldn't it be better on the driver side?
Well the only position for the reciever is underneath the bumper support beam b/c of the intercooler and oil cooler is located on top and also the intake piping is all there. So no room. Also if anyone is intrested if the reciever is behind something then it will not pick up laser but still work the same for radar. I['m not worried about laser cause once blaring, your caught. That'll change when laser tamers comes out with their product and I'll buy the zr4 to go with the sti-r plus

The seal is perfect. I did a smoke test and it didnt leak out. Not too worried about it.

The display had to be moved to the right b/c with it in the mirror on teh left it caused the mirror to bow and cause wavyness in the mirror. The only free spot is the right side.

Old 05-02-2011, 03:24 PM
CDONNS

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hmm, interesting. Good job, I like it.
Old 05-02-2011, 03:36 PM
Z gave way to G

That's bad a$$ Fezz!
Old 12-09-2011, 02:29 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
Sorry to bump an old thread.

What's involved in popping the mirror open? I'd love to permanently enable night mode (darkened mirror).
Old 12-09-2011, 05:40 PM
Fezzik

Plastic tool and even pressure. Kinda of like taking apart a monitor bezel.

JSolo. Where in Chicago are you located?
Old 12-09-2011, 08:12 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
I'm on the far north side, in the vicinity of niles, evanston, skokie, lincolnwood, glenview, and morton grove.

I actually have a special wedge here for splitting lcd bezels, so I might tackle this next summer. The last car I had had a self darkening mirror. That was great, but the light had to hit it just right for it to be picked up.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:56 PM
Fezzik

Cool. I live in Lincolnshire. The Mirror will need to be acid etched to allow the mirror th shine through. I sent my mirror off to radar-mirror.com and a gentelman by the name of Scott Wheeler

Quick Reply: STI-R + install radar detector