Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Will Newest Ipod Touch works with G37?

Old 07-07-2010, 03:19 AM
G37SBS
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Will Newest Ipod Touch works with G37?

I saw mixed reviews about the Newest Ipod Touch (3rd Gen) with 08 G37.

Can someone please confirm whether the Newest Ipod Touch will work with 08 G37? Does it Turn on, shut off and charge automatically?

Do i also need the adapter? if so which kind?

Thanks
Old 07-07-2010, 10:53 AM
SM_Shadowman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You will need an adapter for charging. Two that have been mentioned on this forum are the schoche passport and the Griffin charge converter.

Check out:
List of iPod models - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Only the models which say they support firewire (or firewire for charging) in the connection column will charge with the '08 or '09 G37.

Otherwise it should work fine with the interface. Not sure about turning on and shutting off.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:53 AM
pdroth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by G37SBS
I saw mixed reviews about the Newest Ipod Touch (3rd Gen) with 08 G37.

Can someone please confirm whether the Newest Ipod Touch will work with 08 G37? Does it Turn on, shut off and charge automatically?

Do i also need the adapter? if so which kind?

Thanks

The newest iPod touch (and all iPods for that matter) will NOT charge in a 2008. Only the first generation Touch or original iPhone will charge. You need the Scosche adapter to enable charging and will have to click the incompatibility msg each time you plug it in. All other functions work normally though.

I've read that 2010 models have USB charging but there is no available upgrade for older model G.

If you want to read more on the topic:

Apple killing off Firewire on iPods
Old 07-07-2010, 03:42 PM
KhaldeanHabibi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my ipod video charges in my 08 g37 but my ipod touch didnt. i keep my ipod video in my car for weeks (i have a 80 gig with 3000 songs) and it seems to be just fine maybe a little hot becuase its always on but thats about it.

Last edited by KhaldeanHabibi; 11-12-2011 at 11:11 AM.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:11 PM
G37SBS
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SM_Shadowman
You will need an adapter for charging. Two that have been mentioned on this forum are the schoche passport and the Griffin charge converter.

Check out:
List of iPod models - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Only the models which say they support firewire (or firewire for charging) in the connection column will charge with the '08 or '09 G37.

Otherwise it should work fine with the interface. Not sure about turning on and shutting off.
so if i get that adapter it will charge without a problem right?

How can i find out whether it will turn on and off automatically or not?
Old 07-07-2010, 11:39 PM
SM_Shadowman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you're looking to buy an ipod to leave in the car, the latest iPod Classic - 7th generation 160GB is the best one to get. That one turns off and on with the car and charges without an adapter.

If you already have the touch, well then just try it. Otherwise if you want the touch because you occasionally want to take it out of the car and use it for apps & wifi internet, I don't know. I guess just hope someone else who has that model pipes in here with the answer for you.

FWIW, I think the iPod touch is more like the iPhone where you would normally go into sleep mode with it rather than fully turn it on and off. And my iPhone 3G *does* go into sleep mode while connected after I turn the car off. But I take it out with me and don't leave it there so I'm not sure how well it reconnects when turning the car back on.

I should add that since the latest OS update to my phone it has trouble connecting correctly now the first time. I usually have to plug and unplug it a few times to get it to work anymore. Luckily I just procured a used 5th gen iPod classic on the cheap, which is exactly the model I had before it broke. That generation charges but does not turn off with the car unless I manually turn it off. It does, however, turn itself on (if it isn't on already) when I start the car.