Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Why should I pay $77/year to XM when . . .

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 01:28 AM
shrpshtr
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
I have an 08 and listen to Pandora directly through the iPod connection.
ill try that, thnx bb!
Old 06-20-2010, 05:52 AM
LiquidPlatg37S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought into the hype with my prev acura and still have a year left on my subsciption so i xfered it after my subscription is up i'm not gonna renew it too many option CD,Musicbox,USB,Bluetooth, oh and AM/FM...
Old 06-20-2010, 01:28 PM
jtla

Originally Posted by Chekov
In a way I agree. I was not inclined to pay for radio when I got my car. But during the three-month free period for XM I became impressed by the nav traffic feature and found myself using it quite often in Southern California’s crowded freeways. So when the free period was up I decided to stay on.
Exactly my point. I am sure anyone who lives in Southern California will consider the $48/yr for nav traffic well spent. But at $125/yr ($77+$48), I am not so sure about it. I mean, at that price you can almost buy a Garmin with lifetime traffic info. (Yeah, I know, it would not be as convenient as the integrated unit.)

I was awed by the number and variety of XM channels when I first got it. But after a while you found yourself settled down at a handful of channels and the music of those channels repeating, too. So, the value of XM Radio is a lot less to me than the nav traffic. Unfortunately, XM makes you pay for it in order to get nav traffic.
Old 06-20-2010, 01:52 PM
G2Envy

If you plan on keeping XM for a while you should consider their lifetime option. You could end up making your money back. I keep my cars for at least 10 years so after I found out how much I'd be paying on a yearly basis versus a lifetime, it was a no brainer.
Old 06-20-2010, 01:58 PM
CougarRed

Originally Posted by G2Envy
If you plan on keeping XM for a while you should consider their lifetime option. You could end up making your money back. I keep my cars for at least 10 years so after I found out how much I'd be paying on a yearly basis versus a lifetime, it was a no brainer.
Does the lifetime option apply to factory equipped XM ready stereos?

I thought I read where it only applied to separately purchased XM tuners, but I could be wrong.
Old 06-20-2010, 03:00 PM
CougarRed

Originally Posted by CougarRed
Does the lifetime option apply to factory equipped XM ready stereos?

I thought I read where it only applied to separately purchased XM tuners, but I could be wrong.
OK so I called XM and here's what they told me.

There's 2 basic radio plans. The regular 170 channel plan, and the 180 channel plan that includes the 10 "Best of Sirius" channels spread out over the following content: Howard Stern, Playboy, NFL, NASCAR & Martha Stewart.

1. $77/yr for 180 channels is still available. She said it's a "one time offer" (yeah right!). Otherwise, 180 channels is $16.95/month, and 170 channels is $12.95/month.

2. Weather and/or Traffic is available without the Radio for $9.95/month each or $19.90/month combined. (News to me.) If you add Weather or Traffic to a Radio subscription, it's $3.99/month each. If you add both to a Radio subscription, it's $7/month combined.

3. Lifetime subscription to 180 channels is $599.99. Lifetime subscription to 170 channels is $499.99. These do not include the Weather/Traffic features. The subscription lasts as long as you own the car and cannot be transferred except:

A. If the car stereo is stolen, or
B. The car is totaled.

Under these circumstances, you can apply your lifetime subscription to the next radio.

If the $77 plan is available forever, you'd have to drive the car 7.8 years to break even on the 180 channel lifetime plan, or 6.5 years on the 170 channel lifetime plan.

If the $77 plan is only available for 1 year and you have to pay full price for radio after that, then you'd have to drive the car 3.6 years on the 180 channel plan to break even, and 3.7 years to break even on the 170 channel plan.
Old 06-20-2010, 03:09 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by CougarRed
2. Weather and/or Traffic is available without the Radio for $9.95/month each or $19.90/month combined. (News to me.) If you add Weather or Traffic to a Radio subscription, it's $3.99/month each. If you add both to a Radio subscription, it's $7/month combined.
really?! that's awesome...I might call them and try to just get weather/traffic alone b/c that is the only part I would actually use
Old 06-20-2010, 03:14 PM
CougarRed

Originally Posted by hispeed-lowdrag
really?! that's awesome...I might call them and try to just get weather/traffic alone b/c that is the only part I would actually use
If you can get the $77/year deal for the radio, then $7/month more for Weather+Traffic, it's less than $19.90/month for Weather+Traffic stand alone.
Old 06-20-2010, 03:27 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Considering that the many members on this forum often purchase mods that are cosmetic only that offer nothing tangible in return, I’m somewhat surprised that the few extra bucks needed to have XM is such an issue here. For example, a set of $4,000 aftermarket rims for a G that’s kept six years is $58 per month right there (72 months minus 3 free ones=69), and you can’t listen to your rims nor get traffic readouts from them.
Old 06-20-2010, 03:46 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Considering that the many members on this forum often purchase mods that are cosmetic only that offer nothing tangible in return, I’m somewhat surprised that the few extra bucks needed to have XM is such an issue here. For example, a set of $4,000 aftermarket rims for a G that’s kept six years is $58 per month right there (72 months minus 3 free ones=69), and you can’t listen to your rims nor get traffic readouts from them.
For me it's paying for something I will NEVER use. I know that i wont listen to XM simply because I have 100+ GB of music on my iPod that I leave connected to the G. Whereas my $4000 wheels are always being used and I always get to see them and show them off. Big difference in the usefulness of mods (cosmetic or not) and XM radio
Old 06-20-2010, 04:31 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

For me it's paying for something I will NEVER use. I know that i wont listen to XM simply because I have 100+ GB of music on my iPod that I leave connected to the G. Whereas my $4000 wheels are always being used and I always get to see them and show them off. Big difference in the usefulness of mods (cosmetic or not) and XM radio
Well, let’s play in your ballpark. Considering the time you cannot actually “see” your rims that includes when you’re sleeping, eating, working, other leisure time or actually driving the G, that should be around 20 hours per day. So let’s give you credit for 4 hours per day where you can actually see them which may include other people just admiring them. That may add to 2 months credit over the six years. That lowers your total rim cost to about $56 per month. A great bargain for sure.
Old 06-20-2010, 04:41 PM
jtla

If you are going to pay $10 x12 for traffic only, you might as well get the $77 + $48 a year deal. That's 5 bucks for the XM.

Considering that the many members on this forum often purchase mods that are cosmetic only that offer nothing tangible in return, I’m somewhat surprised that the few extra bucks needed to have XM is such an issue here.
Hahaha, I was thinking about the same thing. I, however, happen to be one who enjoys (well, maybe accepts) the G just the way it is.
Old 06-20-2010, 05:08 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Well, let’s play in your ballpark. Considering the time you cannot actually “see” your rims that includes when you’re sleeping, eating, working, other leisure time or actually driving the G, that should be around 20 hours per day. So let’s give you credit for 4 hours per day where you can actually see them which may include other people just admiring them. That may add to 2 months credit over the six years. That lowers your total rim cost to about $56 per month. A great bargain for sure.
This is turning into a stupid back and forth, but when you are "sleeping, eating, working, other leisure time" you wont be listening to XM either...

I'm happy with the money I've spent on my mods and don't miss XM in any way. Like I said, 100+ GB of music is fine for me.

Originally Posted by jtla
If you are going to pay $10 x12 for traffic only, you might as well get the $77 + $48 a year deal. That's 5 bucks for the XM.
Yeah I did the math right after that and realized it was not really a deal. So wont be doing it obviously lol
Old 06-20-2010, 05:48 PM
xixonmn

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
5 years ago, it would make sense to pay $100-$200/yr for XM subscription if most radio stations in your area suck. I have it in my older car but I canceled the subscription and start streaming radio/music using my 3G smart phones.
Old 06-20-2010, 06:14 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Well, to each his own I guess, as I understand there’s no point in having it if you’re not going to use it.
But after buying a $40K+ car, that bit of extra cost seems reasonable to me. Look at all the other such expenses that are normal for our lifestyles. In my case, and maybe for many others, I’m paying:

• $35/month for internet service
• $130/month for satellite TV
• $29/month for home security service
• $11/month for Netflix
• $83/month for auto insurance
• $300/month for homeowners insurance
• $24/month for LA Times subscription

There’s probably more I can’t think of right now. But another $11/month for XM/traffic doesn’t seem so bad for this convenience that I find so useful.

Quick Reply: Why should I pay $77/year to XM when . . .