Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Non-Nav Stereo RDS only displays in a 1" x 1" area?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 03:29 PM
Master Chief

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Non-Nav Stereo RDS only displays in a 1" x 1" area?

Does anybody know how I can get the Song/artist to display somewhere else on the 7 inch display instead of the current 1 inch X 1 inch orange writing section the upper left on the display?

It seems retarded that I have a 7 inch display and to see the song info I have to wait for the scrolling of each single word. I see the station number in huge letters in the middle of the display, which I would prefer to be in the upper corner where the current Artist/song info is scrolling. I have checked the user manual and fiddled with the radio and see no way for the rds to utilize this rather big screen.

Again, this is the non-navigation premium stereo. I am referring to FM stations as my XM free trial has run out and I forget how that was displayed. I am thinking that XM utilized the display, which is why I am posting this question now since I have only started listen to FM radio recently.
Old 01-17-2010, 03:35 PM
IvoryG

Hit the status button.
Old 01-17-2010, 03:56 PM
Master Chief

Status does absolutely nothing to the Song/artist. It only cycles the a/c settings & mileage settings, and then blanks both out on the bottom half of the screen. It does nothing else. The artist and song are always in the left upper 1" x 1" part of this 7 inch screen with the station number in the middle in rather large numbers which is plain stupid.

Even in the view where you can scroll stations it remains the same. At least when the stations view is present, it makes sense that the song/artist are only displayed in the 1" x 1" section as there is nowhere else for it to display. When I am only viewing 1 station I expect the song and artist to display in the middle of the screen without having to scroll a 2 word short title and artist like it is currently doing in that 1x 1 area.
Old 01-17-2010, 04:32 PM
IvoryG

Oh sorry. It works for the ipod. I have never used my radio or even put a cd in my car.
Old 01-18-2010, 02:57 PM
beestea

Originally Posted by Master Chief
Does anybody know how I can get the Song/artist to display somewhere else on the 7 inch display instead of the current 1 inch X 1 inch orange writing section the upper left on the display?
Its not just the non-nav... the navigation version of the car has really inefficient use of the display area as well when it comes to displaying song information. The RDS data has to "rotate" through all of the info at what seems like 1-2 words at a time. I think that is the only place to see the RDS data. Other sources (ipod, mp3 cd, compact flash) all have their limitations as well. Ipod seems to make the best use as the data will show up on the bottom of the status screen, but its still not really ideal (it won't scroll through data that doesn't fit on the screen, etc).

I chalk it up to lazy software designers