Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Navigation map update?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 01:06 PM
aexis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Navigation map update?

Can you update the base maps on the nav to a more current version? Have an 08 and says it's 07-08 maps and it does not find some newer places. If possible how much costs/time takes? Can dealers do it right away or need to order or something? Also what are the current maps 09-10 or should i wait for the 2010 model to come out for those maps? Thanks a lot!
Old 01-06-2010, 01:22 PM
x95stacey

Originally Posted by aexis
Can you update the base maps on the nav to a more current version? Have an 08 and says it's 07-08 maps and it does not find some newer places. If possible how much costs/time takes? Can dealers do it right away or need to order or something? Also what are the current maps 09-10 or should i wait for the 2010 model to come out for those maps? Thanks a lot!

Go to NAVTEQ - Maps for your Navigation System to order. It's $129. After you purchase, you will be given an activation code that you give to the dealer. They will then load the new map onto the hard drive.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:26 PM
lmulion03

and I believe the dealer charges a fee for installing as well.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:52 PM
aexis

Thanks,

I see that the 09-10 maps are out for the G coupe, only question left is is this the "09" G37 maps or the upcoming 2010 maps? Its hard to tell with the map wording as 09-10 is often lag a year behind

Basically did this map just come out for 2010 or is it a year old?
Old 01-06-2010, 01:54 PM
whiddles
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
this is such a rip off. they need to come up with a way that we can get updates threw XM. If we can get traffic data why not street names lol?
Old 01-06-2010, 05:00 PM
Namir
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by whiddles
this is such a rip off. they need to come up with a way that we can get updates threw XM. If we can get traffic data why not street names lol?
Because then they wouldn't be able to charge you 150 dollars
Old 01-07-2010, 10:07 AM
whiddles
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i know really. it would be nice to get a break on this car. damn we paided 35+k for them. Do BMW and lexus use the same nav paks as we do?
Old 01-07-2010, 12:33 PM
Namir
Registered Member

Originally Posted by whiddles
i know really. it would be nice to get a break on this car. damn we paided 35+k for them. Do BMW and lexus use the same nav paks as we do?
I don't think so and I know for a fact that Lexus charges for map updates as well. I would assume BMW does as well since they charge you for every damn thing on those cars.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:08 AM
eusedhe

Originally Posted by lmulion03
and I believe the dealer charges a fee for installing as well.
yep - my dealership charges $99 to do the update and they say it takes several hours to complete
Old 01-20-2010, 10:56 AM
pwlorraine

BMW and Audi charge for nav updates. I'd usually update every 2-3 years but that was easy - just slip the new DVD in. I think the dealer has to pull the hard drive on the infiniti to directly load the new nav data. I'm betting the drive uses some standard connector and you could use any of the disk clone software packages out there if you had access to a second drive but I wonder if the software on the disk needs to have an id number set to match your specific car to work.

Peter
Old 01-20-2010, 01:49 PM
jbrady3324

Originally Posted by pwlorraine
BMW and Audi charge for nav updates. I'd usually update every 2-3 years but that was easy - just slip the new DVD in. I think the dealer has to pull the hard drive on the infiniti to directly load the new nav data. I'm betting the drive uses some standard connector and you could use any of the disk clone software packages out there if you had access to a second drive but I wonder if the software on the disk needs to have an id number set to match your specific car to work.

Peter
Only if those smart Infiniti engineers could leverage the compact flash for map updates
Old 06-16-2010, 04:16 PM
DetroitG37Joe

I just called Suburban Infiniti of Troy in MI and they told me they charge $125 to upload the nav software. That's lame, labor costs more than the $99 special on the software itself!
Old 12-08-2010, 09:46 PM
Boomer-Bob
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I just noticed the 2011 maps are out from Navteq. I think they are asking $149 currently. What's a fair deal for install in So. CA?

NAVTEQ - Maps for your Infinti Navigation System

Seems like a lot to pay for and update. My kid has a top line GPS with free traffic that cost less.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:04 PM
gogetter
Registered Member

Check the latest service bulletins. The map/nav update is done at the dealer and updated through the CF port. The software is already loaded in the C-lll. Then its loaded from the c-lll to your car. Knowledgebase - Infinitihelp.com Forums
Old 12-13-2010, 05:01 PM
Boomer-Bob
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by gogetter
Check the latest service bulletins. The map/nav update is done at the dealer and updated through the CF port. The software is already loaded in the C-lll. Then its loaded from the c-lll to your car. Knowledgebase - Infinitihelp.com Forums
Hi GoGetter;

Thanks for the reply. I'm looking for a recommened dealer / price for the install in So. CA. I hear the price charged for the install varies by dealer and software updates are discounted sometimes. I'd like to try for the deal price this time. Too often I buy and then find out about the deals.

Quick Reply: Navigation map update?