Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

XM desperation rates

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 06:23 PM
madmax2k1
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just renewed my XM subscription for a year for $77. I'm pretty happy with the service overall, I just wish the sound quality was better, some music stations sound really bad.
Old 12-01-2009, 07:11 PM
RaulGCustom
SoCal Driven

Received 406 Likes on 400 Posts
you should call them and ask them WTF! LOL

Originally Posted by Jubbliepuff
yea... that's really strange.. I've noticed that too! It's been well over 3 months since i bought my car.. but my XM is still working. The only thing that's changed is that the XM traffic function was disabled... wonder what's going on..
Old 12-01-2009, 07:13 PM
RaulGCustom
SoCal Driven

Received 406 Likes on 400 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike
My cell phone does it for free (i suppose you could amortize the cost into my data plan).
What cell phone and what provider??
Old 12-01-2009, 07:21 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Verizon.

Samsung i910.

Real GPS, realtime updates. You can get GPS with your cell phone radio turned off via 3rd party software, including google maps. I have roughly a 500mb cache of mapping data.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:03 AM
bschurr
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by XMMAN
for the past month we have been giving an about 60 channel preview on every unactivated XM unit.. this is probabbly what you have been receiving.. the program will be ending soon and you will then no longer have service.
Thanks for the reply but I have the full enchalada not just 60 preview channels.

Is there a way that I can check the status of my subscription without jeopardizing my free situation?

I did buy the car off the showroom floor - perhaps they set it up with some special subscription because I never signed any XM paperwork upon delivery
Old 12-03-2009, 08:59 AM
whiddles
Registered Member

i have the free traffic also with the verizon droid.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:44 AM
CHI-TOWN G37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my iphone has free traffic and works well. XM was never popular in any of my cars and just too pricey for what it is. The stations we listened to just repeated and repeated songs so much that it became very boring and that was the end of it for us.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:57 AM
XMMAN

Originally Posted by bschurr
Thanks for the reply but I have the full enchalada not just 60 preview channels.

Is there a way that I can check the status of my subscription without jeopardizing my free situation?

I did buy the car off the showroom floor - perhaps they set it up with some special subscription because I never signed any XM paperwork upon delivery
All cars come to the dealership allready activated. When you purchase the vehicle the demo for 3 months automatically turns on in your name. If you want call customer care and see why yours is still on.

Originally Posted by whiddles
i have the free traffic also with the verizon droid.
Not to sound like the MOM here, but using your cell phone while driving is not a really safe idea. Unlike all other Navsystems, XM Navtraffic uses the factory G37 Navigation. You don't start cluttering your windshield with suction cups and your not risking your safety(and the safety of the people around you) fumbling around with your cell phone.

Originally Posted by CHI-TOWN G37
my iphone has free traffic and works well. XM was never popular in any of my cars and just too pricey for what it is. The stations we listened to just repeated and repeated songs so much that it became very boring and that was the end of it for us.
Depends on what stations you listen to. If you listen to top 20 style music of course your going to hear the same songs.. there is only so much new stuff put out. When you start really getting into the service though and taking the time to find out what each channel has to offer you really like it. I do alot of driving and I am a huge hip-hop/electronica fan. Since owning XM though I have started to like 80's music, classic rock, and my car drives would never end if i didn't have the movie soundtrack channel, the comedy channels, and (dare i admit it) the books on tape channel.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:12 AM
whiddles
Registered Member

[QUOTE=XMMAN;2814860].
Not to sound like the MOM here, but using your cell phone while driving is not a really safe idea. Unlike all other Navsystems, XM Navtraffic uses the factory G37 Navigation. You don't start cluttering your windshield with suction cups and your not risking your safety(and the safety of the people around you) fumbling around with your cell phone.

Lol i have the car dock and its hands free and voice activated as well
Old 12-03-2009, 11:28 AM
XMMAN

[quote=whiddles;2814862]
Originally Posted by XMMAN

Lol i have the car dock and its hands free and voice activated as well
good stuff! Where does the hands-free dock mount?
Old 12-03-2009, 07:18 PM
g37musings

Still have not renewed mine, may call them and see what kind of rate I can get from them.
Old 01-09-2010, 12:20 PM
pwlorraine

I've had sirius for three years on two other cars and am a big fan of the service. Sirius (or XM) is not a substitute for my ipod - more of an adjunct and a way to get exposed to new music and a great source for news and other programming. I tend to have CNBC on heading to work in the morning, like to catch car talk on NPR on the weekends when heading off to ski. For those of you too young to remember "radio" you used to have to change the tuning every hour of so if you were travelling - I like that I've still got the same mix of stations here in NY, in Quebec for skiing, or Toronto when visiting family. A friend of mine is in sales and his territory covers lots of NY - same comment.

I can't speak to the price - its in the luxury category but is well appreciated by me at least. I've got XM in the g37 vert I've bought - fidelity is better from my iphone running as an ipod (same as sirius was) - but I still use it a lot. There are enough stations that I've not hit too many problems with strong playlisting (hope cost cutting doesn't make this worse).

My one frustration with XM is their poor integration with sirius as a business - I have two sirius accounts and can't get third radio pricing for XM - its viewed as a new account. Also XM has the most appalling poor phone service - the last person I spoke with sounded like she had been shot full of novocaine or had a mouth full of peanut butter - it wasn't just unpleasant to listen to - it was nearly impossible to understand. I hope whoever she was she gets better. Fortunately this doesn't require much support to use.

Peter
Old 01-10-2010, 12:49 PM
whiddles
Registered Member

i have mine right now on top of the nav on the dash. its small and out of the way. its nice cause i can also record the street while lol
Old 01-10-2010, 02:30 PM
dnedawg

About a year and 1/2 ago or so Sirius and XM were saying they would be broadcasting some TV like channels in the near future. Kids programming if I remember. I know Sirius is now offering such a product, but now that the companies are one, does XM offer it?
Old 01-10-2010, 04:39 PM
pwlorraine

xm doesn't do it. There are only a few stations in the sirius package - a special version of nickelodeon, and a couple of other kids stations. You aren't missing much - I think you can easily beat this for kids entertainment with a view things played from your ipod/iphone.

Peter

Quick Reply: XM desperation rates