Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Help Number of Song limit on a Compact Flash

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 04:43 PM
timdubois

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Number of Song limit on a Compact Flash

I just bought my G37 (09) Sedan with Nav. It has the CF input for audio input. The book says it can only take up to 512 files. Does this really mean that you can only put up to 512 songs? Will it just not read the rest or will it cause an error? Can I not just get an 8GB CF and load 1000 or so songs?
Thanks for any input!
Old 05-22-2009, 04:46 PM
jnguyen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by timdubois
I just bought my G37 (09) Sedan with Nav. It has the CF input for audio input. The book says it can only take up to 512 files. Does this really mean that you can only put up to 512 songs? Will it just not read the rest or will it cause an error? Can I not just get an 8GB CF and load 1000 or so songs?
Thanks for any input!
only 512 songs. The others will not be read or display on the screen at all so just get a CF that fits about 512 song and get a few of those
Old 05-22-2009, 04:47 PM
TopTech

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it won't recognize anything over 512. i use 4GB cards. if you have short tracks and low bitrates you can maybe fit 512 on a 2GB card. i don't even use the MusicBox. might as well not even have it.
Old 05-22-2009, 04:50 PM
timdubois

Thanks for the info, it saved me some $$$ on what size CF to buy. I agree on the MusicBox - kind of useless. Oh well...
Old 05-22-2009, 04:53 PM
STOOF

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
oh crap i didnt know this.

i have an 8gb card in mine but dont have that many songs on it. lol i guess it was a waste getting one that big.
Old 05-22-2009, 04:54 PM
oOmikeyboy
Florida G35 Club, Premier Member

I never use the musicbox or the CF slot. Both are severely hindered.. makes me sad. Ipod and Cd's, and the radio is all that i use.
Old 05-22-2009, 05:04 PM
soundmike

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Looks like I'm in the minority, i use the Musicbox and the CF almost exclusively. And occasionally XM.

Getting an 8GB probably ain't too bad, you can always save higher bitrate MP3's on it. I only use a 2GB where i rotate the songs every now and then, so i haven't hit the file limit.

I have 256bit MP3's on the CF and it sounds much better than XM (obviously), on par with CD's and noticeably better than those i ripped into the Musicbox.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:28 PM
AndBeyond

I guess I've hit the 512 song limit on the CF because the last few folders I added to the card do not show up on the screen. I have about 40 folders on the card, and each folder holds the songs from a full CD, so I probably exceeded 512 songs. That's a bummer because I bought an 8MB card, and I've only used about 2MB on it. I guess I could save them in a much higher bit-rate to improve sound quality, but they sound pretty good already at roughly 200 kbps with VBR, certainly better than the MusicBox.

I have an 80GB iPod classic too, but it's full, so I've been using the CF card for newly acquired music. I wish the iPod interface cable would properly charge the iPod, but instead it seems to drain the power, perhaps because it doesn't turn the iPod off when you turn the radio off. Moreover, the radio seems to switch on it's own to the iPod a few minutes after starting the car, as if I just plugged the cable into it, even though it was plugged in all along.

It is also annoying that the CF card doesn't seem capable of playing the songs in album order, even though I include the track number at the beginning of the file name. The songs appear in random order within each folder. Have you all found the same?

One other annoyance -- the Random/Repeat setting seems to change on it's own. I usually set it to "CF Card Random", and invariably, within a few songs, it seems to change itself to "Folder Random" or "Folder Repeat". What's up with that? Is there a phantom in my car?

In general, I really enjoy the stereo in my '09 G37X, but these anomolies are a bit disappointing and distracting. Are there fixes or workarounds for any of these things?
Old 05-28-2009, 02:35 PM
WhosUrBuddiee
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Pretty much just use my ipod and xm
Old 05-28-2009, 03:24 PM
SkyMG37x
Registered Member

Originally Posted by AndBeyond
I guess I've hit the 512 song limit on the CF because the last few folders I added to the card do not show up on the screen. I have about 40 folders on the card, and each folder holds the songs from a full CD, so I probably exceeded 512 songs. That's a bummer because I bought an 8MB card, and I've only used about 2MB on it. I guess I could save them in a much higher bit-rate to improve sound quality, but they sound pretty good already at roughly 200 kbps with VBR, certainly better than the MusicBox.

I have an 80GB iPod classic too, but it's full, so I've been using the CF card for newly acquired music. I wish the iPod interface cable would properly charge the iPod, but instead it seems to drain the power, perhaps because it doesn't turn the iPod off when you turn the radio off. Moreover, the radio seems to switch on it's own to the iPod a few minutes after starting the car, as if I just plugged the cable into it, even though it was plugged in all along.

It is also annoying that the CF card doesn't seem capable of playing the songs in album order, even though I include the track number at the beginning of the file name. The songs appear in random order within each folder. Have you all found the same?

One other annoyance -- the Random/Repeat setting seems to change on it's own. I usually set it to "CF Card Random", and invariably, within a few songs, it seems to change itself to "Folder Random" or "Folder Repeat". What's up with that? Is there a phantom in my car?

In general, I really enjoy the stereo in my '09 G37X, but these anomolies are a bit disappointing and distracting. Are there fixes or workarounds for any of these things?
You may not have hit the 512 song limit, but rather the folder limit. From the owner's manual:
Folder Levels:

With navigation system:
Folder levels: 8, Folders: 255 (including root folder), Files: 512 (Max. 255 files for one folder)

Without navigation system:
Folder levels: 8, Folders and files: 999 (Max. 255 files for one folder)
Old 06-04-2009, 12:09 PM
Sam K

The following web page says that the Music Box will only recognize Compact Flash cards up to 2gb but some of you guys are using cards larger than 2gb.

http://g37-tech.com/wiki/Music_Box_FAQ

I'd like to get a 4 or 8gb card and use a higher bitrate for my MP3s. So can I get a 4 or 8gb card and put 512 tracks on it or will it only recognize the first 2gb of storage on the card?
Old 06-04-2009, 12:22 PM
SkyMG37x
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Sam K
The following web page says that the Music Box will only recognize Compact Flash cards up to 2gb but some of you guys are using cards larger than 2gb.

http://g37-tech.com/wiki/Music_Box_FAQ

I'd like to get a 4 or 8gb card and use a higher bitrate for my MP3s. So can I get a 4 or 8gb card and put 512 tracks on it or will it only recognize the first 2gb of storage on the card?
That link says any size flash card will work but with the limitations listed. The owner's manual only references the file limit (512 with NAV, 999 without NAV), so I'm assuming this reference to 2GB is based on the file limit. You should be fine with a larger card, you just won't be able to use all of its memory capacity.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:45 PM
Sam K

Originally Posted by SkyMG37x
That link says any size flash card will work but with the limitations listed. The owner's manual only references the file limit (512 with NAV, 999 without NAV), so I'm assuming this reference to 2GB is based on the file limit. You should be fine with a larger card, you just won't be able to use all of its memory capacity.
As long as I can put on 512 songs on a 4gb card and it will recognize all of them, then I'll be happy. I just don't want to get a 4gb card, put 512 songs on it that use say 3gb of the card, only to find out that the music box won't read anything on the card past the first 2gb. That's my concern. The link isn't really clear about that part.

Here's what it says.
What size memory cards work with the Music Box?
Any size flash card will work, however the reader can only see up to 512 songs. Anything over this limit will not be readable.

How many files can fit on the memory cards?
There are two limitations with the compact flash cards. First you are limited by the size of card you purchase. Second, the MB only recognizes 2GBs. And finally, the MB will only read 512 files on the card. So if you have more than 512 MP3 files on your CF, then it will only read the first 512.
The first question/answer gives the impression that I can put 512 songs on a larger card and it will recognize all of them no matter how much space they use. But the second question/answer says it will only recognize 2gb. So what happens if 512 songs take up more than 2gb? Will it be able to read all of them?
Old 06-04-2009, 02:19 PM
SkyMG37x
Registered Member

^ I guess I'll let someone chime in that's used a larger card and loaded it up.

The question I have is where that website got its info since the owner's manual has some specifications that don't list the 2GB limit. From the owner's manual:

Supported file systems
CompactFlash card: FAT12, FAT16, FAT32
Supported Versions
MP3: Version MPEG1, MPEG2, MPEG2.5
Sampling frequency 8 kHz - 48 kHz
Bit rate 8 kbps - 320 kbps, VBR*4

WMA: Version WMA7, WMA8, WMA9
Sampling frequency 32 kHz - 48 kHz
Bit rate 32 kbps - 192 kbps, VBR
Folder levels
With navigation system:
Folder levels: 8, Folders: 255 (including root folder), Files: 512 (Max. 255 files for one folder)

Without navigation system:
Folder levels: 8, Folders and files: 999 (Max. 255 files for one folder)
Old 06-04-2009, 10:15 PM
w0ady

theres no SIZE limit, just file #.

i use xm and the music box mostly.

Quick Reply: Help Number of Song limit on a Compact Flash