Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Cobb Accessport for Newbs

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 08:33 PM
gtracing

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Cobb Accessport for Newbs

Hey,

I've never dealt with the Accessport before, but i'm planning on purchasing one to do some minor tuning. I'm planning to leave my coupe mostly stock, i won't be doing any engine upgrades (so no intake, no exhaust due to strict govt regulations here, and definitely no HFC), but will mostly be concentrating on handling (sway, coilovers, etc). Is this unit for me? Where is the cheapest place I can buy it (keep in mind i live in Canada). Do you need to dyno tune this unit (like the Apexi S/V-AFC?) What are the modification requirements for the different stages 1 & 2? Last but not least, for the people who own this unit, is it worth it? I've read most of the Cobb Accessport review threads...but each thread only answers 1 or none of my questions...got fed up with searching so decided to start a new thread...

Happy Holidays
Old 12-29-2008, 12:12 PM
prutkows

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gtracing
Hey,

I've never dealt with the Accessport before, but i'm planning on purchasing one to do some minor tuning. I'm planning to leave my coupe mostly stock, i won't be doing any engine upgrades (so no intake, no exhaust due to strict govt regulations here, and definitely no HFC), but will mostly be concentrating on handling (sway, coilovers, etc). Is this unit for me? Where is the cheapest place I can buy it (keep in mind i live in Canada). Do you need to dyno tune this unit (like the Apexi S/V-AFC?) What are the modification requirements for the different stages 1 & 2? Last but not least, for the people who own this unit, is it worth it? I've read most of the Cobb Accessport review threads...but each thread only answers 1 or none of my questions...got fed up with searching so decided to start a new thread...

Happy Holidays
Bump. Anybody gonna help this guy out?
Old 12-29-2008, 12:24 PM
gtracing

haha 36 views and no one knows
Old 12-29-2008, 01:11 PM
RedG37SNC

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Take a look at the notes on the maps on COBBs website for the recommended configuration for each map. You could run stage 1 with a stock G configuration and get some mild gains and also use it for monitoring and data logging, however most people will want the AP to realize the true potential of their bolt ons so if you're not going to mod then it will have limited value for you.

As to whether it's worth it.. you can spend a ****load of money on bolt ons but without tuning you won't see the gains possible and this is a very convenient method of tuning. It still needs some development within the community to get more maps out, and COBB is also continuing to improve it and I believe they mentioned adding "Dyno like capabilities." Right of the bat I can say this is the first mod I've purchased I actually felt a substantial performance improvement with.

Last edited by RedG37SNC; 12-29-2008 at 01:21 PM.
Old 12-29-2008, 02:03 PM
gtracing

Yea, i realize that you have to tune every vehicle to get the full potential in the mods...like my previous car, stock dynoed at 91whp, with the mods i dynoed at 97whp, with a full on tuning i hit 116whp....which isn't bad for a 1.7L SOHC Honda motor...

but after spending a crap load of money on that car, i'm not planning to spend that much on this one...maybe just a quick ecu tune and that's it for engine performance....but $700 bucks for a few horsepower...not really sure if i can justify that as being best bang for buck...
Old 12-29-2008, 02:20 PM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
If you are not doing any other engine mods, I say spend the money on something else. What kind of gain do you expect with no other mods?....10HP? Just add HFC or intake alone and you will get the 10 or so HP that you MAY get with the Cobb AP with no other mods.

Just do the sways, coils, strut bar if you are not looking for engine mods.
Old 12-29-2008, 02:42 PM
gtracing

haha, yea, i'm expecting that 10whp gain...well hopefully 10whp gain...but like i said, due to strict aircare in BC, i'm not really wanting to change my intake or my HFC to make that sort of power...
Old 12-29-2008, 05:43 PM
w0ady

dont waste your $. if you're looking for handling improvements then stick to sways, coils, braces etc.
Old 01-02-2009, 02:55 PM
tristan1334

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Ebay is selling one for $625 shipped.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cobb-...spagenameZWDVW
Old 01-02-2009, 03:15 PM
SOLISIMO

Originally Posted by tristan1334
Ebay is selling one for $625 shipped.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cobb-...spagenameZWDVW
ebay is the last place Id buy the cobb. buy from here
Old 01-02-2009, 03:17 PM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
buy it from forged... kthxbye
Old 01-02-2009, 03:34 PM
tristan1334

Originally Posted by MaxToTheG37
buy it from forged... kthxbye
What's the website and how much is it shipped? I'm planning of getting one too. Thought ebay would be ok since Cobb still warranty it.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:11 PM
SOLISIMO

What's the website and how much is it shipped? I'm planning of getting one too. Thought ebay would be ok since Cobb still warranty it.
No sir, if its not an authorized dealer than they wont, The guys at Forged seemed to have this place on lock down and I mean that in a good way, and from what I hear their service is second to none
Old 01-02-2009, 04:18 PM
tristan1334

Originally Posted by SOLISIMO
No sir, if its not an authorized dealer than they wont, The guys at Forged seemed to have this place on lock down and I mean that in a good way, and from what I hear their service is second to none
Ok, you got me sold. I need the website or phone # and contact person. I should be able to do stage 2, correct? I have K&N's drop-ins, HFC and Y-Pipe. Thanks!
Old 01-02-2009, 04:25 PM
SOLISIMO

Ok, you got me sold. I need the website or phone # and contact person. I should be able to do stage 2, correct? I have K&N's drop-ins, HFC and Y-Pipe. Thanks!
I personally dont have one but when I do purchase one it will be definately from them

www.forgedperformance.com

Quick Reply: Cobb Accessport for Newbs