Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

DIY - Fiberglass Subwoofer Enclosure and Amplifier Install

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 11:45 AM
Graham
Premier Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sub ****, is definitely a must. My GF hates the thump of a sub, plus like you said, some stuff you want to be bassy other's you just want that good impact punch.
Old 10-18-2008, 08:28 PM
Nighthawk26

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice work... and great bargin hunting. Nice gear, and all that completed for $500 bucks! Good for you! Wife would kill me though, wouldn't be able to get a second set of gold clubs in the car with that! Already can't take my MR2 out caue of no trunk space!
Old 10-18-2008, 09:03 PM
PSYH
Post Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Doesn't that get in the way of accessing your spare tire?
Old 10-18-2008, 09:59 PM
cullan

Originally Posted by psyh
Doesn't that get in the way of accessing your spare tire?
No, not at all. Once the carpet is on it, the enclosure fits snuggly and does not move. It is relatively easy to pull out. It can be removed and unhooked from the amp in less than a minute.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:08 PM
goredcar
Registered Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Bass **** location

Originally Posted by cullan

I installed the remote bass **** this afternoon. I am a happy camper. Time to give the car a wash. I am tired of seeing sawdust on her...
A great looking installation... I am planning the same thing except that I have no fiberglass skills so I bought the enclosure. I am curious to know where you mounted your bass control ****... I can't see an obvious location for it...
Old 10-27-2008, 05:16 PM
cullan

Originally Posted by goredcar
A great looking installation... I am planning the same thing except that I have no fiberglass skills so I bought the enclosure. I am curious to know where you mounted your bass control ****... I can't see an obvious location for it...
Good question... I put mine in the same location as in this thread

https://www.myg37.com/forums/showthr...ight=bass+****

I put it there because I really don't want any noticable holes once I remove it. This is best for me because I am leasing the car and don't want to have to pay $75 for some stupid plastic piece at the end of my lease. It is not the most convenient place in the world, but it still usable while driving.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:24 PM
goredcar
Registered Member

Thanks cullan... that looks like a good stealth location.

By the way... I really like your idea to stealth mount the amp... the trunk is already so small that I do not want to compromise the pass through by mounting it there. Any issues with heating with the amp enclosed? I have 600W Pioneer amp and it gets warm when I have been running it for a while.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:28 PM
cullan

Still haven't had any problems yet, but I really haven't taken it on any long drives. I am guessing that heavy use for an hour or two may cause some overheating but I really just don't know yet. If I find that it does overheat I'll cut a small hole in the side of the plastic shroud and mount a 12V computer style fan. That's pretty easy to do and is very inexpensive.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:32 PM
goredcar
Registered Member

I wonder if there is a thermal shut down if they get hot. I wouldn't be surprised...
Old 10-27-2008, 05:38 PM
cullan

I would certainly hope that any amp you are considering using would have thermal protection. That is pretty standard for any decent amplifier. It is a fire hazard otherwise.

In my last vehicle I had a large PPI 4 channel amp running under similar circumstances. After about an hour and a half of very very high usage it would shut down. After it cooled a bit it would come back on.

I know that certain amps have thermal rollback... meaning that it will actually lower the volume some until it cools off. Certain JL amps have this feature.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:54 AM
goredcar
Registered Member

Need help with dash panels

I put it there because I really don't want any noticable holes once I remove it. This is best for me because I am leasing the car and don't want to have to pay $75 for some stupid plastic piece at the end of my lease. It is not the most convenient place in the world, but it still usable while driving.
Well I finally got to the installation this weekend... not what I would call "easy" to pull all that plastic out of the trunk. Anyway... all is good now, but I do not have the bass conrrol **** mounted as I have no clue how to get the plastic dash panels off. I am not averse to drilling a hole in the third unused "switch" position beside the trunk release, but I just don't know how to get it out. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Even the lower unused position would be fine... I can get this connector part way out, but not all the way
Old 11-03-2008, 01:07 PM
cullan

I was going to use the unused switch area as well. Turns out that it really isn't possible unless you want to reshape the plastic backing though. It seems like more trouble than it's worth. You'll see what I mean when you pull the dash off.

Pulling the lower dash panels off on the drivers side is easy.

First, open the driver's door and pull off the panel that is between the door and the left side of the dashboard. It is held in with pressure sensitive clips. Just pull with mild force. It's just a cover.

Second, use a socket (10MM I think) to unscrew the two bolts that hold the hood release. It will hang down after it's been unscrewed and released.

I think those are all the peices that hold the lower dash on. Now just pull gently on the sides of the dash. It is held in with pressure clips. It actually comes off relatively easily.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:15 PM
finagle69

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

yay, that's me!
Old 11-03-2008, 08:07 PM
goredcar
Registered Member

Cullan... thanks for the tips on dash removal. I think that I will go with the same setup as you and finagle69 used. It discrete and still usable... and it is not something that I will be fiddling with all the time.

Today was the first day that I had to really listen to the system and it is way better than stock. On some music the bass is a little too much and the only way to control it is with reducing bass. I am surprised that on a car that comes with 2 stock subs there isn't a sub control along with bass and treble... and I won't even mention the "A" word, but my wife takes every opportunity to let me know she has a sub control on her car
Old 11-04-2008, 01:10 AM
aznutx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
one great diy... nice work and thanks for the details

Quick Reply: DIY - Fiberglass Subwoofer Enclosure and Amplifier Install