Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Inside door pics of Premium Audio cars

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 11:22 PM
KahnQuistador

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
Did you consider mounting the amps under the floor on the opposite side where you removed the Bose amps from? That's where I'm considering mounting the PDX-5 for a total stealth install and to not lose any more trunk space than I already do to the 4080.
I thought about it but decided to keep the Bose amps. The Bose runs the factory tweets, rear panel speakers and the center channel. I couldn't justify upgrading those speakers but found a way to use them.

The PDX amps are small and the loss of space is minimal.

Besides, it'll make taking it back to stock a snap. That was a design consideration.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:32 PM
KahnQuistador

Originally Posted by Pearl05G
Is this carpet??

Any particular reason why there is minimal deadening material used? Budget or preference?

Was there not enough space on the kick to mount there? Or was this method chosen by you?

Just curious as to some of the decisions, not trying to be rude here. The install looks clean overall.
It's not carpet, it's like the stuff used on sub boxes.

There's more dynomat then what's in the pics, it's pretty solid. I can always add more if needed.

The jury's still out on the mids in the kick panels. So far, they've not been a problem but I still might move them. The size of the mids was a bit of a problem. They're "self contained" in sort of a sealed module.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:52 PM
Pearl05G

Originally Posted by KahnQuistador
It's not carpet, it's like the stuff used on sub boxes.

There's more dynomat then what's in the pics, it's pretty solid. I can always add more if needed.

The jury's still out on the mids in the kick panels. So far, they've not been a problem but I still might move them. The size of the mids was a bit of a problem. They're "self contained" in sort of a sealed module.
The stuff boxes are wrapped in as in 'trunkliner' or 'backed carpet'? My primary concern is is condensation.If it is a foam of sorts for decoupling purposes then I can understand as that would also be weather friendly.

The reason why I questioned the kicks is in regards to the obtrusiveness. The 140/142s play quite excellent off axis and no 'aiming' is required. You may also slightly increase PLD pulling em back into the kicks.If depth of the kicks is a concern there are ways around that without glassing, although if overall real estate is an issue it would entail a bit more work.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:53 PM
Pearl05G

I thought about it but decided to keep the Bose amps. The Bose runs the factory tweets, rear panel speakers and the center channel. I couldn't justify upgrading those speakers but found a way to use them.

The PDX amps are small and the loss of space is minimal.

Besides, it'll make taking it back to stock a snap. That was a design consideration.
Where were the 102s mounted? Sorry if I had missed a pic of those. Have you tried running without the OEMs?
Old 05-06-2008, 11:59 PM
KahnQuistador

Where were the 102s mounted? Sorry if I had missed a pic of those. Have you tried running without the OEMs?
The tweets are where the factory mids were.

I haven't had time to play with it much, too covered up with work these days.

It's set up where I can easily remove the factory stuff if I want.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:03 AM
quart

very nice setup. your experience with our cars has helped I am sure more than one of us figure out what is in those doors. Maybe someday soon I canget to work on my install. This info will be very useful.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:10 PM
dillyyo

Is this carpet??

Any particular reason why there is minimal deadening material used? Budget or preference?

Was there not enough space on the kick to mount there? Or was this method chosen by you?

Just curious as to some of the decisions, not trying to be rude here. The install looks clean overall.

My exact thoughts Don. Especially the kick setup. Must say I have never seen a kick setup like that. I assume it was time and money. Personally, if I was going with a kick setup and wanted no obtrusiveness, would probably drop those 142's mounted right in the stock kicks. Just reinforcing them with glass, but OEM plastic kiskc are cheap to replace if you want to go back.

I would actually like to see the sail panel removed as hopefully it can be cut on the back side so that 102 fits.

Khan......do you have any pics of the door panel where you put the tweeter? I want to see the actual working depth on that panel to see if there is a possible chance of fitting in a dome midrange.

Last edited by dillyyo; 05-07-2008 at 10:23 PM.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:30 PM
Pearl05G

Originally Posted by dillyyo
My exact thoughts Don. Especially the kick setup. Must say I have never seen a kick setup like that. I assume it was time and money. Personally, if I was going with a kick setup and wanted no obtrusiveness, would probably drop those 142's mounted right in the stock kicks. Just reinforcing them with glass, but OEM plastic kiskc are cheap to replace if you want to go back.

I would actually like to see the sail panel removed as hopefully it can be cut on the back side so that 102 fits.

Khan......do you have any pics of the door panel where you put the tweeter? I want to see the actual working depth on that panel to see if there is a possible chance of fitting in a dome midrange.
Something along the lines of this:

would have worked quite well. Although it could have just been a preference or a thought that aiming may be needed. From my understanding this wasnt a Dyn dealer that did the install and they werent very familiar with the capabilities. Kahn, please correct me if Im a bit off here.

The pic above is an '05, but the application could apply here as well.

BTW .. you never called. I *may* have some good news for you.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:37 PM
dillyyo

would have worked quite well. Although it could have just been a preference or a thought that aiming may be needed. From my understanding this wasnt a Dyn dealer that did the install and they werent very familiar with the capabilities. Kahn, please correct me if Im a bit off here.

EXACTLY! LOL Actually, I meant I had never seen kicks made the way those were made. The speakers have always been flush or reccessed in the panel. I am sorry about the lack of contact. I have been inudated with work and family, I am like a zombie. LOL

I will make a concerted effort to call you from the office tomorrow. I just put it as a task on my blackberry. should I call the house line or cell?
Old 05-07-2008, 10:40 PM
Pearl05G

EXACTLY! LOL I am sorry about the lack of contact. I have been inudated with work and family, I am like a zombie. LOL

I will make a concerted effort to call you from the office tomorrow. I just put it as a task on my blackberry. should I call the house line or cell?
Not a problem, just desperately trying to get you into the pre raised prices field. All products went up May 1st.

Call the shop phone ... 572-1969 if that doesnt work shoot for the cell. I may be up in Caldwell tomorrow.
Old 05-08-2008, 12:37 AM
KahnQuistador

I really wanted the mid mounting to be like your pic but the G37 kicks are a lot smaller and the parking brake presented a problem. My G35 would have been a lot easier to work with.

The more I listen to the mids pointed directly at me, the less I like it. An off axis mount would be better. I haven't had the time to play with the 3sixty software but I think I can take some of the edge off the mid by adjusting the EQ. I might disconnect the factory tweeters, too. Just covering them up improves the sound.

As soon as I get this latest flash fire at work put out, I'll play with the 3sixty.

This is still a work in progress. The install is the easy part. Getting the sound right takes a little time.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:47 AM
dillyyo

I really wanted the mid mounting to be like your pic but the G37 kicks are a lot smaller and the parking brake presented a problem. My G35 would have been a lot easier to work with.

The more I listen to the mids pointed directly at me, the less I like it. An off axis mount would be better. I haven't had the time to play with the 3sixty software but I think I can take some of the edge off the mid by adjusting the EQ. I might disconnect the factory tweeters, too. Just covering them up improves the sound.

As soon as I get this latest flash fire at work put out, I'll play with the 3sixty.

This is still a work in progress. The install is the easy part. Getting the sound right takes a little time.

Kahn

Did you use the stock wiring or did you run aftermarket? I have never used stock wiring in a setup, but if a low enough guage, I might be willing to take the negligable loss for the sake of ease.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:37 AM
KahnQuistador

Kahn

Did you use the stock wiring or did you run aftermarket? I have never used stock wiring in a setup, but if a low enough guage, I might be willing to take the negligable loss for the sake of ease.
The stock wiring appears to be at least 20 and maybe 18 AWG. Calculations start showing a 1W loss using 22 AWG at 150 per channel so I should be ok.

That's just an uncalibrated eyeball looking at it, though.
Old 05-08-2008, 02:26 PM
Xander

I ran 14 guage wire to the stock molex adapter for the time being until I have the time to do a full kick pod with the tweeter and mid in it and run active.

Your door setup looks pretty similar to mine except I have my crossovers mounted in my door, my mids positioned further down and forward so it matches upto the grill as much as possible, my adapter plates are painted not carpeted and a my tweeter is mounted on the door panel where the factory mid was. And I am not running rear speakers.

I have kept the factory Bose amp as well just for the factory center channel since I use the bluetooth a lot. But if I find out that I can use the other speakers for that its coming out.

I think eq'ing the center channel out of music is going to be a pain in the ***.

Last edited by Xander; 05-08-2008 at 02:29 PM.
Old 05-08-2008, 02:27 PM
Xander

nice install btw

Quick Reply: Inside door pics of Premium Audio cars