The M - Spot General discussion for the M35/M45

Question about transfer fluid & differential gear oil maintenance...

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 10:57 PM
Hedgehog25

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question about transfer fluid & differential gear oil maintenance...

I'm taking my M37x to a very well-reputed local mechanic tomorrow to have some minor brake work completed (remember the scraping sound I posted about a couple weeks ago?), as well as to have an alignment performed and fluids checked/re-filled. They'll be taking care of the oil change, as well (have decided to go with Pennzoil Ultra Platinum).

I just have a few quick questions regarding maintenance of the transfer fluid & differential gear oil; I checked the manual but couldn't find much of anything regarding these particular fluids. The car has approximately 40.5k miles on it; should I plan on having these fluids changed/filled tomorrow, or does Infiniti consider them to be "lifetime fills," much as they do the transmission fluid? I see that most of the members here recommend having the transmission fluid flushed at the 60k-70k miles interval -- should I just plan on having the transfer fluid and diff. gear oils changed at that particular service interval, as well?

Thanks...
Old 12-02-2014, 11:08 AM
SwissCheeseHead

Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts
I think a 60k drain and fill for both fluids should be fine. I would also consider a tranny flush done by the dealership only at around 60K as well (even though the FSM says it's maintenance-free)

Transfer and diff oil, from what I've seen can be a DIY job if you want to save some money.

Here's a link to the FSM. Pg 58 is for the transfer case, pg 120 for the front diff and pg 165 is for the rear diff.
http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/M/2011/DLN.pdf

Last edited by SwissCheeseHead; 12-02-2014 at 11:15 AM.
Old 12-02-2014, 02:56 PM
Hedgehog25

Originally Posted by SwissCheeseHead
I think a 60k drain and fill for both fluids should be fine. I would also consider a tranny flush done by the dealership only at around 60K as well (even though the FSM says it's maintenance-free)

Transfer and diff oil, from what I've seen can be a DIY job if you want to save some money.

Here's a link to the FSM. Pg 58 is for the transfer case, pg 120 for the front diff and pg 165 is for the rear diff.
http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/M/2011/DLN.pdf
Thanks! I'll just look into doing drain & fills for both of those fluids when I get closer to the 60k mark. What's your opinion on doing the transmission fluid flush at a Nissan dealership? The one in my city is supposedly one of the only Nissan dealerships in the southeast that is qualified to do all maintenance/repairs on the GT-R, so I would hope they could handle a transmission flush, LOL.
Old 12-02-2014, 05:24 PM
tech37

Originally Posted by Hedgehog25
Thanks! I'll just look into doing drain & fills for both of those fluids when I get closer to the 60k mark. What's your opinion on doing the transmission fluid flush at a Nissan dealership? The one in my city is supposedly one of the only Nissan dealerships in the southeast that is qualified to do all maintenance/repairs on the GT-R, so I would hope they could handle a transmission flush, LOL.
I would do all the fluids at the same time. Sure the Nissan dealer should be able to do that if they choose to do so. The only thing that I caution is that if you ever need Infiniti to reach out for you the first thing the regional service manager is going to ask for is your service records...

And another thing....i love using their loaner cars...beats waiting for service...lol
Old 12-02-2014, 10:50 PM
SwissCheeseHead

Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts
It would be a good idea to get a price comparison and go from there. If the price between the 2 is not too different, I would go with Infiniti for both the service record and the loaner.