Newbie Corner New Members Corner! - If you're new to MyG37.com, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your G37!

Computer Re-Learn After Air Filter Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 12:30 PM
vihurricane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Computer Re-Learn After Air Filter Replacement

So, my dealer is trying to convince me that I should perform a computer re-learn after they replace the air filter in my car. He's stating that it will help the car to regain some of the performance that it lost in dealing with a clogged filter. This costs $170.

Has anyone done this, at the dealership or on your own? And was it worth the trouble/cost?
Old 02-03-2017, 02:06 PM
The Pope
Registered Member

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts
This sounds like a simple ECU Reset which you can do for Zero $'s. It's basically unhooking the battery for a period of time (I'd guess 15-30 min's, but I'm not sure) to reset the ECU. You'd loose all of your radio presets and a few other thing if you do it this way.

But there's another way it can be done without unhooking the battery. Here the link to doing it without unhooking the battery: https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...isconnect.html

I'f I'm mistaken, I'm sure that others will chime in and correct me.
Old 02-03-2017, 03:51 PM
kickintheglass
Registered Member

Received 113 Likes on 79 Posts
$170? My god your service manager must think that you're a moron
There's also a youtube video of an owner demonstrating the timing if you don't want to disconnect the battery.
Old 02-03-2017, 03:57 PM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by vihurricane
So, my dealer is trying to convince me that I should perform a computer re-learn after they replace the air filter in my car. He's stating that it will help the car to regain some of the performance that it lost in dealing with a clogged filter. This costs $170.

Has anyone done this, at the dealership or on your own? And was it worth the trouble/cost?
Are you unable to release two clips to remove/replace the air filters?
It is less than a 5 minute job for both of them

Name:  IMG_4151_zpstfyq5n6v.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  251.9 KB

Telcoman
Old 02-03-2017, 04:03 PM
saywat?
Registered Member

Received 276 Likes on 238 Posts
Originally Posted by kickintheglass
$170? My god your service manager must think that you're a moron
There's also a youtube video of an owner demonstrating the timing if you don't want to disconnect the battery.
well the fact that op asks shows that he believes it lol. to help op the answer is no
Old 02-04-2017, 09:47 AM
Landshark
Registered Member

Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by telcoman
Are you unable to release two clips to remove/replace the air filters?
It is less than a 5 minute job for both of them

Telcoman

holy crap, the G37 has the EASIEST to change air filters of any car i've owned. my last car was a PITA - you really had to wrestle with it.

probably one of the main reasons i never got a CAI for this car (and the fact i didn't want to pay $400+ for 2 extra hp )

OP - the fact that you brought your car to the dealer to replace your air filter shows him you don't know much about car maintenance/repair, and thus he tried to swindle you with that B.S. "computer relearn". read you owners manual, and the DIY section here, and learn to do some things yourself ... and save a LOT of money.
Old 02-04-2017, 11:52 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Well OP at least you asked this BEFORE paying the money
Old 02-05-2017, 09:35 AM
vihurricane

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I should point out that I've changed the air filter in my car before and know how to do so. It's the computer relearn part that threw me off. I was just wondering if there was any value in that or if it was just another attempt at a swindle by the service manager.
Old 02-05-2017, 10:36 AM
Landshark
Registered Member

Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by vihurricane
Thanks to everyone for the replies. I should point out that I've changed the air filter in my car before and know how to do so. It's the computer relearn part that threw me off. I was just wondering if there was any value in that or if it was just another attempt at a swindle by the service manager.
the computer will adjust by itself.

if you buy a cold air intake with a different MAF housing diameter, or one that situates the MAF near a major bend in the piping, you might need a tune, but just replacing a panel filter with the same or similar won't require you to do anything extra.

i threw in some R2C black hex panel filters (no oil, clean and reuse) in my G, and everything is fine.
Old 02-09-2017, 04:16 PM
vihurricane

Originally Posted by Landshark
the computer will adjust by itself.

if you buy a cold air intake with a different MAF housing diameter, or one that situates the MAF near a major bend in the piping, you might need a tune, but just replacing a panel filter with the same or similar won't require you to do anything extra.

i threw in some R2C black hex panel filters (no oil, clean and reuse) in my G, and everything is fine.
Thanks. I appreciate the advice. I'm going to install the filters myself. I may perform the ECU reset procedure that the Pope posted just in case. Can't hurt.