Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

07 G35x Catalytic converter rattle

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 09:06 PM
SRTst

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 G35x Catalytic converter rattle

Kinda new here. Mostly browsing forums for info on recently acquired G. I'm posting here since the exhaust seems to be shared component between the two platforms.

I have a rattle that almost sounds like an exhaust leak. I've gone thru removing covers off the exhaust manifolds to inspect them for cracks as I can't find any leaks. They looked perfectly fine. Sound is present during cold starts and at WOT.

After carefully inspecting the exhaust during number of cold starts, I determined that the sound is coming from the catalytic converters. I removed the rusted out heat shields 2nd day I got the car so thats not it. Seems to be something internally wrong with it.

Is this a common issue on these cars? I'm thinking to either get a HFC to replace it, since coming across good condition OEM cats seems to be hard. I would love to find someone who removed their original ones with very low mileage but that is proving tough.

Other option is to pick up a cheap resonated test pipe on ebay then weld in some aftermarket cats in there as I can do that myself. I'm not looking for performance improvement as I come from building some much faster cars than my G, which I find is a perfect balance of performance and comfort. I definitely don't want it much louder but I want that ugly rattle gone.

Thanks!
Old 12-20-2014, 11:19 PM
alfredo24pr

Received 95 Likes on 79 Posts
What I would do is get some decent replacement for the OEM cats instead of loosing my head trying to figure out how to fix that problem.

I haven't really tested out ebay replacements, so I can't recommend any.
Old 12-26-2014, 11:38 AM
Adam West
Registered Member

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
The catalytic converter rattle is somewhat common on these cars from what I've seen on the forums here. I've had both the driver side and passenger side catalytic converter honeycomb material become loose inside the metal body causing it to rattle around. The dealer replaced one of them under full warranty, but the other has yet to be replaced. Yup, it's pretty annoying, but was never serious enough to throw a CEL for an efficiency problem.
Old 12-28-2014, 09:32 AM
afonda4real

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I will recommend you just save up a little and replace the OEM cats with FI HFC, you can go resonated or non resonated depending on how loud you want your car to be. Browse through the site, they got a lot of good reviews from members who currently have it. Won't recommend a "cheap" eBay part, might even be worse.