General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

Help High pitched noise at 75mph, 6th gear

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 04:48 PM
r0cketm0nkey

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
High pitched noise at 75mph, 6th gear

I've read about high pitched noise threads all over the forums, but most are related to G's 2010 and before. Since I have a 2012, I'm having trouble finding a definite answer...

So what's going on is this: at precisely 75-80 mph in 6th gear (not sure if it's on any other gear because it's revving too high for me to hear), I can hear this very audible, high pitched noise coming from around the passenger side. It's only audible if my foot is on the throttle, and gets louder the more I punch it. If my foot is not on the pedal, the noise dies down. The noise also subsides after 80mph.

From the threads I've read, I've narrowed it down to something electrical for sure. It can't be the ECU since that issue seems to have been fixed in 2011 and up, so most likely it's something about a throttle control module or something like that, located close to the firewall? I'm actually having trouble convincing my dealer to fix it or even diagnose it because they claim that they won't drive to 75mph because it's illegal. What do I do?

*My car is bone stock, btw.

Last edited by r0cketm0nkey; 09-22-2015 at 09:17 PM.
Old 09-22-2015, 05:22 PM
obg376mt

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
interested to know as well, as i have the same issue. Although i do have a 2009, do you have an aftermarket stereo or anything? i have read that its due to a grounding issue but i have not been able to isolate it myself as well. i vaguely remember the sound starting a long time after i put in my sub.
Old 09-22-2015, 05:46 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Had it since November of 2007. Still don't know the exact cause or a fix. Sorry.
Old 09-23-2015, 08:36 AM
Lt8Che
'Cuz Racemod-erator

Received 316 Likes on 204 Posts
Shot in the dark but transmission maybe?
Old 09-23-2015, 11:06 PM
r0cketm0nkey

Originally Posted by Lt8Che
Shot in the dark but transmission maybe?
Nah...it definitely sounds like a high pitched frequency interference type of noise.
Old 09-24-2015, 09:35 PM
FreshJive

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe a video of this noise may help. If possible get some to drive at said speed with you sitting in the passenger seat. Next time i'm in my 2012 i'll see if i too can hear the same noise.
Old 10-13-2015, 03:44 AM
r0cketm0nkey

Originally Posted by FreshJive
Maybe a video of this noise may help. If possible get some to drive at said speed with you sitting in the passenger seat. Next time i'm in my 2012 i'll see if i too can hear the same noise.
Finally have a chance to record the video. Listen to the high frequency noise when I go 75mph and beyond.

Old 10-13-2015, 10:47 PM
ay37
Registered Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
this is gonna sound crazy... but i had something funny happen to me today. the passenger side window was just every so slightly opened, and i didn't notice it until i got over about 60 mph... then i would hear this really high pitched sound and i thought something was wrapped around my front passenger axle/wheel area. if i increased my speed, it would go away. finally i noticed it was the window just cracked open a hair that caused it. with that in mind, it wouldn't be a bad idea to somehow put some tape over the windows where they meet the top of the doors/weather stripping and see if it makes a difference. i know it sounds ridiculous, and even the sound in your video doesn't match what i'm suggesting at all... but i'm tellin you, i had something happen to me like that today and there's no way i would have guessed it was coming from the window. so maybe it isn't sealed 100% on one of the doors and just at the right speed and angle, it can cause a high pitched sound like that then disappear at other speeds. honestly, even as i'm suggesting this, i don't even think that's your issue, hence why i say it sounds crazy lol
Old 10-13-2015, 11:40 PM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 232 Likes on 208 Posts
Originally Posted by v1mirage
this is gonna sound crazy... but i had something funny happen to me today. the passenger side window was just every so slightly opened, and i didn't notice it until i got over about 60 mph... then i would hear this really high pitched sound and i thought something was wrapped around my front passenger axle/wheel area. if i increased my speed, it would go away. finally i noticed it was the window just cracked open a hair that caused it. with that in mind, it wouldn't be a bad idea to somehow put some tape over the windows where they meet the top of the doors/weather stripping and see if it makes a difference. i know it sounds ridiculous, and even the sound in your video doesn't match what i'm suggesting at all... but i'm tellin you, i had something happen to me like that today and there's no way i would have guessed it was coming from the window. so maybe it isn't sealed 100% on one of the doors and just at the right speed and angle, it can cause a high pitched sound like that then disappear at other speeds. honestly, even as i'm suggesting this, i don't even think that's your issue, hence why i say it sounds crazy lol
My thought when watching the video was also wind noise, but my thoughts were from the door weatherstripping not sealing properly.
Old 10-13-2015, 11:49 PM
monytx
Registered Member

Received 116 Likes on 109 Posts
If I had to guess, I would say it's probably the ground on the amp for the speakers.. Aftermarket or not that would be my first guess.
Old 10-14-2015, 03:45 AM
r0cketm0nkey

Well..taping up the passenger door is easier...I just hope no one sees me driving around with painters tape all over my passenger door...
Old 10-14-2015, 05:22 PM
ay37
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Epiphany
My thought when watching the video was also wind noise, but my thoughts were from the door weatherstripping not sealing properly.
yep, i was trying to basically say it's some sort of weatherstripping. maybe the door, maybe the window. it's all really along the door i guess lol
Old 10-14-2015, 05:24 PM
ay37
Registered Member

Originally Posted by r0cketm0nkey
Well..taping up the passenger door is easier...I just hope no one sees me driving around with painters tape all over my passenger door...

haha who cares what they think... you're faster than 90% of the commuters
Old 10-25-2015, 06:22 PM
r0cketm0nkey

Tried sealing the door, no go. Sort of expected it, given it only happens in 6th gear. If I'm in 5th and going 75, the noise isn't there. Any other ideas?
Old 11-02-2015, 12:09 AM
crookncastle
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 62 Posts
i would suggest you take the shop foreman or the service manager on a road test and you show them the noise as you hit 80+mph on the freeway. then you can suggest to them to open up a tac case with nissan/infiniti technical support and have them make the decision to how to resolve this.

in addition can you hear the noise when you hit that speed and have the window or windows cracked open? do you by any chance have any aftermarket stereo upgrades, or entertainment center screens or other electronics mounted into the car?

Quick Reply: Help High pitched noise at 75mph, 6th gear