General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

Best Ester-Based Synthetic Oil?

Old 05-22-2011, 03:09 PM
ViPaDawG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Best Ester-Based Synthetic Oil?

So I've got an oil change coming up soon, and currently, I run Pennzoil Ultra 5W-30 w/ Mobil 1 filter or PureOne Filter, but every so often I get knocking. I hate when I hear it because it really makes my car sound like it's broken, and I hate it. I was thinking of trying out an Ester-Based Synthetic this time around to see if it helps at all.

Searching through the forums I saw some people using Motul or Redline, since they seem to sell Ester based synthetic formulations.

Anyone have a recommendation as to which is better? And where the best/cheapest place to get the oil is? I know it's typically more expensive, but I do want to try it out once before going back to PU.

Any insight is appreciated. Thanks!
Old 05-22-2011, 07:30 PM
YaMajesty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i use PU too, but i haven't noticed any knocking. maybe i don't know what to listen for... what does it sound like?
Old 05-22-2011, 07:31 PM
GTLAW
Banned

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
go with redline
Old 05-22-2011, 07:38 PM
ViPaDawG

Originally Posted by YaMajesty
i use PU too, but i haven't noticed any knocking. maybe i don't know what to listen for... what does it sound like?
it sounds like your car has a diesel engine. you would most likely notice.
Old 05-22-2011, 10:15 PM
Fezzik

Received 57 Likes on 11 Posts
I use redline and I'm superchargedcwith no problems
Old 05-22-2011, 10:57 PM
Steveo47

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
i like motul, i use 300v right now, was using 8100 xmax before
Old 05-23-2011, 01:22 AM
VRG37S

Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts
I just switched to Redline this weekend, I was running Eneos. The Redline seemed to be a little quieter on startup. Motor runs smoother too through out the RPM band IMO... Overall i'm very satisfied with the swap. Plus the Redline is an ester based full synthetic, so it makes me believe that this motor truly does operate better with that extra ingredient in the oil Plus I was told that the Eneos isn't actually a full synethetic, it's a semi-synthetic..
Old 05-23-2011, 08:39 AM
4drScreamer

So when is it best to switch to ester based full synthetic oil? Right away or after a certain mileage? I've used PU from the start and am at 17000 miles. The dealer mentioned to me they use ester based oil, but I've been happy with the PU.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:40 AM
KLB

Why do you think knocking is caused by your oil?
Old 05-23-2011, 09:00 AM
CougarRed

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by VRG37S
I just switched to Redline this weekend, I was running Eneos. The Redline seemed to be a little quieter on startup. Motor runs smoother too through out the RPM band IMO... Overall i'm very satisfied with the swap. Plus the Redline is an ester based full synthetic, so it makes me believe that this motor truly does operate better with that extra ingredient in the oil Plus I was told that the Eneos isn't actually a full synethetic, it's a semi-synthetic..
I thought you were running Pennzoil Ultra. Now you say Eneos. Which is it? Both of which are excellent oils, by the way, that other G owners have used successfully.

Are you only using premium octane fuels as the manual says? Others have reported funny noises when they use 87 gasoline.

What year is your G? TSB ITB08-028 was issued in June 2008 and repairs the ticking/tapping/knocking noise from the VVEL actuator. If you search, there were a whole bunch of threads on the engine knocking issue a couple of years ago, for example this 7-pager. I believe this problem was cleared up before the 2010 model year.

EDIT: I see you have a G37 with a 5AT. The only year that was available was in the 2008 Coupe. The TSB I listed above applies to the 2008 G37 Coupe. You might have your dealer perform the TSB work.

Last edited by CougarRed; 05-23-2011 at 10:00 AM.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:30 AM
ViPaDawG

Originally Posted by KLB
Why do you think knocking is caused by your oil?
If you go through the forums, you can see that Ester oil is the recommended one by Nissan for this VQ37 engine. The ester bonds to the VVEL flaps (?) and keeps them lubricated. Regular Synthetic oil doesn't lube and bond like the Ester does, and so that lack of lube causes the knocking sound.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:48 AM
CougarRed

Originally Posted by ViPaDawG
Regular Synthetic oil doesn't lube and bond like the Ester does, and so that lack of lube causes the knocking sound.
Complete and utter horse manure. There are tens of thousands of G37 engines doing just fine (i.e. making no weird noises) without oils high in ester.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:34 AM
VRG37S

Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts
Nope, I never stated anywhere that i was using pennzoil ultra.

Originally Posted by CougarRed
I thought you were running Pennzoil Ultra. Now you say Eneos. Which is it? Both of which are excellent oils, by the way, that other G owners have used successfully.

Are you only using premium octane fuels as the manual says? Others have reported funny noises when they use 87 gasoline.

What year is your G? TSB ITB08-028 was issued in June 2008 and repairs the ticking/tapping/knocking noise from the VVEL actuator. If you search, there were a whole bunch of threads on the engine knocking issue a couple of years ago, for example this 7-pager. I believe this problem was cleared up before the 2010 model year.

EDIT: I see you have a G37 with a 5AT. The only year that was available was in the 2008 Coupe. The TSB I listed above applies to the 2008 G37 Coupe. You might have your dealer perform the TSB work.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:09 PM
tharbemiko

I always thought our engines should be loud? I just changed my oil recently to nissan ester and WOW....it still sounds like a diesel -__-. I don't mean to hijack the thread, but for those who use ester-based oils, have you ever experienced any bad oil consumption?
Old 05-23-2011, 12:31 PM
CougarRed

Originally Posted by VRG37S
Nope, I never stated anywhere that i was using pennzoil ultra.
I confused you with ViPaDawG. My sincerest apologies to both of you.

ViPaDawG has the 2008 G Coupe to which the "knocking" TSB applies.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best Ester-Based Synthetic Oil?