Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unfortunately it's time to say goodbye

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 05:00 PM
AUR11

Received 78 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by crookncastle
wow sorry to see and hear about your loss. good no one suffered any physical injuries. i am curious as to who determined it was the alternator that caused the fire? and how did they determine that?
Fireman stated that he had seen this in other vehicles and the alternator can catch if it gets too hot if it starts to seize up and the bearings don't spin. I researched it and it is common and older FX's had this issue. Additionally I see that Nissan is recalling a lot of vehicles for power steering leaks which can lead to fires. I posted the photo on Infiniti's facebook page and am calling them tomorrow, just to make sure this doesn't potentially happen to others.

Good news is that my fiance is going to go ahead and cosign for a car for me so we can get me something now and I am sure I won't be unemployed much longer.

As far as what I am getting, she suggested that I buy a 10/11 M3 with around 40k miles from carmax and get the 6 year 125k warranty since its like 2k bucks. I liked the idea and have started the search for a sedan with the 6 speed manual. I have some time and the mustang to drive for now so I'll be able to get exactly what I want by being patient. So, I guess I'll be another to switch to the dark side. After everything and the money we have set aside for a car, I should only owe about 8k on an M3 and would effectively keep my car payment the same as what it was when I had a loan on the G. And luckily that doesn't impact us financially in our current situation since we have no debt and she has an extremely well paying job. Thanks everyone on here for being a great community to be a part of and I will still be on here from time to time.
Old 03-26-2017, 05:46 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
Glad to hear everything is working out for you. Hate to see anyone jump but if this were to have happened to me I could guarantee another Nissan/Infiniti product would never see my driveway. M3 is a pretty good reason to jump ship so don't feel bad lol
Old 03-26-2017, 05:54 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
You're temporarily unemployed, and your car just caught fire. So your fiance still has her old Mustang Vert that you can drive, all the while co-signing for you on a car loan with the suggestion that you buy a M3? A M3?!?

Holy cow. Marry her.
The following 4 users liked this post by Rochester:
Crazyirish (03-27-2017), Lego_Maniac (03-27-2017), r2dmax (03-27-2017), twin_snails (05-18-2017)
Old 03-26-2017, 06:08 PM
AUR11

Originally Posted by Rochester
You're temporarily unemployed, and your car just caught fire. So your fiance still has her old Mustang Vert that you can drive, all the while co-signing for you on a car loan with the suggestion that you buy a M3? A M3?!?

Holy cow. Marry her.
Our wedding is Oct 21st She's pretty awesome, she also drives a 6 speed 1 series herself and doesn't believe in 4 cylinders or front whee drive cars. And she's also pretty damn hot to boot. Also my bday is coming up and yesterday she surprised me with a present of driving a Ferrari F430 with an instructor on an autocross course. I am pretty damn lucky!
The following users liked this post:
Coltrane1 (03-28-2017)
Old 03-26-2017, 06:31 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Wow, this story has taken a rather surprising turn, sounds like you may turn that frown upside down much sooner than I would have imagined.

Happy Birthday to you!
Old 03-26-2017, 07:34 PM
AUR11

Thanks! Yes, things are turning out to be more positive and I now have the chance at getting one of my dream cars.

On a side note, I will be posting up for sale Carsmo *****, GTR map light lenses, oem all weather mats, oem mats, and oem luxury mats that I never used, GT Spec M brace, oem trunk mat, oem cargo net, new in box SPC toe/camber bolts. I also have the duck feet wheels with tires with around 50-60% tread left. Also have the rear fortune auto coils with swift 8k springs, and front swift springs for an X mounted on oem struts, the chrome grille, the chrome trunk piece, and the 18" spare that fits over the big brake kit.

Unfortunately only 3 anniversary vert 19" wheels were saved but are going to stay on the car and my FA coils and SPC control arms and cusco strut bar were destroyed. Too much work to remove the rear swift springs and FA struts and the oem big brake kit so they will be going with the car. Whoever finds this car in a salvage yard will have all sorts of potential goodies to pull off of it along with a pristine black interior that still smells new (well its a little smokey smelling now)
Old 03-27-2017, 09:05 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Bruh...no disrespect but...

#Suga Momma

Post some pics of the M though.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:56 AM
AUR11

Originally Posted by RMB5190
Bruh...no disrespect but...

#Suga Momma

Post some pics of the M though.
Haha yep she has even joked about that. She's fortunate enough to have a very very very well paying job.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:30 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

She's just paying her stud fees
Old 03-27-2017, 01:16 PM
r2dmax

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Alternator fire?
Yeah, it's real, caused $3800 damage to my Audi A6 Quattro.. SMH

OP, sorry to see your car go up in smoke. It was a beautiful sedan. Also, your job situation. They say there's a silver lining in every cloud, so I hope yours comes soon!
Old 03-27-2017, 01:21 PM
r2dmax

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by AUR11
Thanks! Yes, things are turning out to be more positive and I now have the chance at getting one of my dream cars.

On a side note, I will be posting up for sale Carsmo *****, , oem mats, and oem luxury mats that I never used, GT Spec M brace, oem cargo net, new in box SPC toe/camber bolts.
Interested in these items. LMK prices, etc

Looks like your silver lining is showing! I'd DEFINITELY defect back to the dark side to get my dream car, enjoy.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:22 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by r2dmax
Interested in these items. LMK prices, etc
Vulture. LOL

I was kind of interested in that GT-Spec rear brace for a moment.
Old 03-27-2017, 04:21 PM
AUR11

I'll post a for sale thread sometime this week for all the items. As far as the brace goes, I believe it is discontinued or GT spec doesn't exist anymore, if I recall it was like 175 new? I'd do 115 plus shipping? Has some minor scratches from being under the car, but no bends or anything.

Also insurance came out today and confirmed the car is a total loss, he got to 11,038 in damage before even looking at brakes, suspension, tires, or what upper parts for the engine bay were needed. So he just stopped and said all I need to do is say look at the pictures.

My insurance gave me an initial offer of $17,028 but this did not include quite a few options or my wheels or the lip, spoiler, grill or big brake kit. The rep told me he says there is a 90% chance that I would be able to get around 19k total and is going back to say that I did not accept. Not bad for a 2010.

Also F*ck Infiniti consumer affairs. They showed no empathy for the fact that my fiance could have been injured or killed had this occurred on a highway or busier road. They just said that because I did not have my oil changed at the dealer they say the car was improperly maintained and that a fire is a risk from that. Sorry to say that I am done with Nissan/Infiniti after that conversation. It literally was maintained by the book with all factory fluids and even had more than they recommended and was even done by a nissan mechanic. They also stated that even though I had the car serviced at a Nissan dealer for the bigger stuff, it wasn't infiniti techs who did the work so they can't establish it was done correctly. Needless to say, my family, her family and all of our friends have decided to swear off Nissan/Infiniti products as well due to the fire. My uncle actually was negotiating on a new RS400 and called the dealer and told him he lost confidence in the brand due to what happened to my car. I know cars have their issues, but I expected better customer service. I didn't expect anything from them but to take the issue seriously as a concern and investigate whether this was something that could happen to another person.

Last edited by AUR11; 03-27-2017 at 04:28 PM.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:17 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 298 Likes on 236 Posts
Yikes, glad you're OK.

In your shoes, I'd go straight for a CPO S4 (B8.5), last generation to have 6MT option.

But if you have your house paid off, M3 is well deserved
Old 03-28-2017, 07:55 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Wow, talk about diverting responsibility. To dismiss you like that and claim that it was because of improper maintenance is just bull. You don't need hours of training to turn a wrench for an oil change.

Not the first time I've heard of the brand doing this to someone since I've joined this forum. Nissan/Infiniti keeps it up, they'll find themselves as irrelevant as Mitsubishi - irony implied.