Sponsored by:

Automatic car washes

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 10:38 AM
g37Frost
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Automatic car washes

Before I bought my G last summer, I'd been driving an Intrepid for over 11 years. I routinely put that car through automatic car washes with no noticeable deleterious effects. Other than the headlights (which showed that yellowing in the plastic that most older used cars do), the car looked very clean and pictures I took that day were not otherwise too different from the ones I took the day I bought it.

However a couple weeks ago I came across something—I think it was an episode of CNET On Cars—that said automatic car washes leave microabrasions in the clearcoat, with the implication that over time these would start becoming apparent and sully the finish of the car.

What do you guys do? Do you avoid automatic car washes, or is this something to even worry about?
Old 10-17-2016, 10:40 AM
ChinkyChoy
Premier Member

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts
the touchless automatic car washes are ok other than that I wash my car in my at home. I wont even use the selfwash bay brushes I just bring a bucket and my own wash mitt or something and use their power washer
The following users liked this post:
g37Frost (10-17-2016)
Old 10-17-2016, 10:55 AM
the93owner
Registered Member

Received 335 Likes on 261 Posts
Originally Posted by ChinkyChoy
the touchless automatic car washes are ok other than that I wash my car in my at home. I wont even use the selfwash bay brushes I just bring a bucket and my own wash mitt or something and use their power washer
I do the same thing lol. If I have the time and the weather is nice, I hand wash it at home. If it's cold, I will go through a touchless car wash. I will never go through a regular car wash. Heard too many stories about paint being scratched and mirrors being broken.
g37Frost (10-17-2016)
Old 10-17-2016, 11:15 AM
MaQG37
Registered Member

Received 208 Likes on 166 Posts
Originally Posted by g37Frost
Before I bought my G last summer, I'd been driving an Intrepid for over 11 years. I routinely put that car through automatic car washes with no noticeable deleterious effects. Other than the headlights (which showed that yellowing in the plastic that most older used cars do), the car looked very clean and pictures I took that day were not otherwise too different from the ones I took the day I bought it.

However a couple weeks ago I came across something—I think it was an episode of CNET On Cars—that said automatic car washes leave microabrasions in the clearcoat, with the implication that over time these would start becoming apparent and sully the finish of the car.

What do you guys do? Do you avoid automatic car washes, or is this something to even worry about?
I wouldn't use automatic car washes, even touch-less (the soaps they use expedite the breakdown of waxes etc). If the car is dirty and you don't have time, just wait until you do. Your car will thank you later.

If the car has light dusting, look into rinse-less washing.
g37Frost (10-17-2016)
Old 10-17-2016, 11:25 AM
Ra_BiiGGa

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
pay for a handwash or bird sh*t... those r my only 2 options. once my wife drove my car through a regular car wash trying to surprise me it took me 2.5sec to notice the difference. but if you constantly wax and condition your cars exterior coat, a regular car wash once in a while wont kill you.
g37Frost (10-17-2016)
Old 10-17-2016, 02:18 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
If you have to resort to a touchless wash, be sure to select the most bare-bones option, all those sealers, waxes, clear coat BS just add more harsh chemicals to the mix. And whip through the dryer so you can hand dry w/ a bottle of filtered water to spray as you dry.
Old 10-17-2016, 03:19 PM
TBau651

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
If you have to resort to a touchless wash, be sure to select the most bare-bones option, all those sealers, waxes, clear coat BS just add more harsh chemicals to the mix. And whip through the dryer so you can hand dry w/ a bottle of filtered water to spray as you dry.
Some good tips here^^^. As always, thanks for the advice Blnewt!!
Old 10-17-2016, 03:57 PM
main_shoby
Registered Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I have Cquartz UK 3x coat on my car. I goto touchless car washes and dont let the it blow dry my car, I go pass it without stopping. When i get out, I use my garry dean's detailer juice detailer. Just spray over a panel and then wipe it dry using waffle weave towel.
My car is pretty swirl free

Bottom line, you can go there if you have proper setup and products to go with it.
Old 10-17-2016, 04:10 PM
the_wolff
Registered Member

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
I'm in the northeast, and a couple days after a snowstorm I'll run through one for the undercarriage wash to knock the salt and brine off.
Old 10-18-2016, 09:22 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
As said, basic-setting touchless car washes in the winter, as needed because of temps and convenience. But otherwise, hand wash is always the best.

As for the headlight lenses... if they fade, that's entirely on you for not taking care of them. My wife's Honda is 9 years old, with huge headlight lenses on that old CRV. Two or three times a year, I clay and wax the lenses. Nine years and 100k miles later, they still look crystal clear new. I do the same with my G... six years old, and they also look new.

It really doesn't take much effort. Start on Day One with your next new car, and you won't regret it.
Old 10-18-2016, 11:16 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Automatic car washes??? We have one at work, but I am too low to even fit. I would also be wary of your wheels getting trashed by the track systems at auto washes. I always wash by hand which gives me time to see everything so it ends up a lot cleaner.

I never heard the one about micro abrasions, but a lot of dirt usually sticks to the brushes if you go through one of those washes. I would be more worried about that causing scratches. That definitely happens.

Touchless automatics like Rochester was talking about are probably decent if they don't have tracks for your wheels. In a pinch in the winter I have also used the pressure washers that allow you to select soap, water, wax, etc. to get the salt off.
Old 10-18-2016, 12:11 PM
MaQG37
Registered Member

Received 208 Likes on 166 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
As said, basic-setting touchless car washes in the winter, as needed because of temps and convenience. But otherwise, hand wash is always the best.

As for the headlight lenses... if they fade, that's entirely on you for not taking care of them. My wife's Honda is 9 years old, with huge headlight lenses on that old CRV. Two or three times a year, I clay and wax the lenses. Nine years and 100k miles later, they still look crystal clear new. I do the same with my G... six years old, and they also look new.

It really doesn't take much effort. Start on Day One with your next new car, and you won't regret it.
Headlight UV coating and material can differ from manufacturer. I apply Collinite 845 (heavy duty wax) on my headlights, and they've faded. I had to correct it with a DA polisher and now I apply a paint sealant + collinite 845 on top. I wouldn't say its entirely on me, maybe the environment I live in.
Old 10-18-2016, 01:23 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by MaQG37
maybe the environment I live in.
That too. Although our Honda has high miles and years on it, it is garage-parked both at home and when she takes it to work. And my G is low miles, garaged away from the elements and the sun as well.

I've been using Mequar's Ultimate Synthetic Paste Wax for a number of years now.
Old 10-18-2016, 01:45 PM
VenomGT9
Registered Member

Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts
Just say no to automatic washes, transmissions, fish feeders...etc
Old 10-18-2016, 01:49 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
I've been using Mequar's Ultimate Synthetic Paste Wax for a number of years now.
That's good stuff. I used to use that before we got Auto Armor at work. Now I put that on once and I usually never have to wax again unless I start going nuts with the clay bar on rail dust.

Quick Reply: Automatic car washes