Dealership ruined my oem wheels. Will buy me new oem 18". Which one to get?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 02:23 PM
Onegabigirl

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The second picture is from a 2010 journey. That's the picture I took when I sold mine and picked up a set of 19". They are my favorite 18" wheels behind the anniversary wheels.

Originally Posted by the93owner
08-09 G37 coupe base wheels (18")

10+ G37 coupe base wheels (18")
NOTE that these look like the sport 19s but are not.

Old 04-16-2016, 04:25 PM
mjnoles1
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Here is an interesting twist to the dealership ruining my wheels.

I went into the dealership to get a rattle fixed and to get my car washed (before you yell at me for getting my car washed at the dealer, I bring in my own wash bucket, soap, microfiber washing mit, and chamois. They hand wash it, I go to the same guy as when I just let anyone do it that is when they screwed up my wheels).

Anyways, the car washer I go to comes to me and apologies that he no longer is able to wash my car. The service manager stated that I cannot get my car washed any longer at the dealership due to the wheel situation.

Is it me or did I do nothing wrong? I am not the one who sprayed degreaser on my wheels which took the finish off. Should I be punished for bringing the situation to the service manager? I did not even push for them to replace my wheels, they first tried to have someone refinish it, but, after a month the refinish started coming off. They then had the same guy try to refinish it again and without my knowledge the service advisor to "test" the durability had the car washer spray degreaser on the wheels and the finish came off again. So, then they informed me they would replace the wheels with new ones. I did not even inform them that their guys scratched the lip on one of the new wheels which reveals the black primer under the wheel. So, they replaced my wheels due to their error but now I guess I am punished for making them correct the situation?
Old 04-16-2016, 05:41 PM
vicsg37

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Just a question if you say you have your own bucket soup and microfiber towel why don't you just wash your own car? I'm sure they have coin operated car washes where you are from. Me personally I would have never went back on principal I would have posted a review on Yelp and moved on. Mess up my car once and that's it I'm not messing with you no more. Just some advice hope you don't take it the wrong way buddy cuz that's not my intent. Good luck!
Old 04-16-2016, 11:24 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by vicsg37
Just a question if you say you have your own bucket soup and microfiber towel why don't you just wash your own car? I'm sure they have coin operated car washes where you are from. Me personally I would have never went back on principal I would have posted a review on Yelp and moved on. Mess up my car once and that's it I'm not messing with you no more. Just some advice hope you don't take it the wrong way buddy cuz that's not my intent. Good luck!
That's pretty much my thoughts on that. As good as someone else may be in washing your car, they don't have the same motivation to do things correctly as you will.
Unless you live somewhere where car washing isn't allowed, like water strapped California, I'd just spend that quality time w/ your G
Old 04-17-2016, 01:08 PM
MaQG37
Registered Member

Received 208 Likes on 166 Posts
Originally Posted by mjnoles1
Here is an interesting twist to the dealership ruining my wheels.

I went into the dealership to get a rattle fixed and to get my car washed (before you yell at me for getting my car washed at the dealer, I bring in my own wash bucket, soap, microfiber washing mit, and chamois. They hand wash it, I go to the same guy as when I just let anyone do it that is when they screwed up my wheels).

Anyways, the car washer I go to comes to me and apologies that he no longer is able to wash my car. The service manager stated that I cannot get my car washed any longer at the dealership due to the wheel situation.

Is it me or did I do nothing wrong? I am not the one who sprayed degreaser on my wheels which took the finish off. Should I be punished for bringing the situation to the service manager? I did not even push for them to replace my wheels, they first tried to have someone refinish it, but, after a month the refinish started coming off. They then had the same guy try to refinish it again and without my knowledge the service advisor to "test" the durability had the car washer spray degreaser on the wheels and the finish came off again. So, then they informed me they would replace the wheels with new ones. I did not even inform them that their guys scratched the lip on one of the new wheels which reveals the black primer under the wheel. So, they replaced my wheels due to their error but now I guess I am punished for making them correct the situation?
If you're going to go out of your way to bring that to a dealer, why not do it yourself? And, if you want to protect your paint, you should be using at least 2 buckets, 2 grit guards, and waffle weave towels to dry.

You should never consider having the dealer wash your car, if you care about your paint whatsoever.
Old 04-17-2016, 01:48 PM
mjnoles1
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I do use two buckets and grit guards, that is why I bring my own buckets for this. I bring all the good stuff, all they need to do is the labor. The person that ruined my wheels is not the person I have been using since that situation.

Last edited by mjnoles1; 04-21-2016 at 11:17 AM.
Old 12-03-2016, 06:39 PM
4doorfury

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts
I know this thread is old but I had a question about the oem split spoke 18s mentioned in the 4th post. Do they clear the oem akebono brakes and if not can they be made to clear with spacers? Thanks in advance
Old 12-04-2016, 08:13 AM
Requin6

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
As posted earlier in this thread...

It appears as though this member has the akebono brakes. Just wondering if he is using spacers or not.

I am also interested to know since I picked up a set of these wheels to use with snow tires for my wife's journey sedan. Would love to be able to also use them on my BBK car if need be.
Old 12-04-2016, 08:18 AM
4doorfury

Was referring to these...

Old 12-04-2016, 10:57 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

IIRC the coupe 18s on the red sedan above will clear without spacers but just barely, like 2mm, so for piece of mind you might want to run a small 3mm spacer. The split spoke 18s definitely need a spacer but can't recall how much you'd need, again, IIRC they will clear at the barrel but will require a spacer to clear @ the spokes. Hopefully someone can chime in for certain as far as spacing size req'd there.
Old 12-04-2016, 01:49 PM
4doorfury

I hope they will clear with no more than a 5mm spacer. I don't like the wheels being 100% flush with fender
Old 12-04-2016, 01:59 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by 4doorfury
I hope they will clear with no more than a 5mm spacer. I don't like the wheels being 100% flush with fender
Do you have the staggered 7.5/8.5" set? If so, you can go up to about 20 mm and still be inside the fender in front, and in back you won't need as much spacing (and maybe none at all??)
Old 12-04-2016, 02:11 PM
4doorfury

I don't have the set yet I am trying to piece together all rears so I can rotate
Old 12-04-2016, 03:48 PM
Dembflyr
Registered Member

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Requin6
As posted earlier in this thread...

It appears as though this member has the akebono brakes. Just wondering if he is using spacers or not.

I am also interested to know since I picked up a set of these wheels to use with snow tires for my wife's journey sedan. Would love to be able to also use them on my BBK car if need be.
They clear. As Blnewt stated they are very close to the calipers. I'd say 2-3mm is a good guess. It hasn't caused any issues at all. I ran without spacers for over 6 months.
I am about to put these wheels back on as it seems winter is settling in. I now use 20mm spacers on them mostly for aesthetics, the extra clearance is nice to give room to keep the calipers clean.
The following users liked this post:
blnewt (12-04-2016)
Old 12-04-2016, 04:09 PM
4doorfury

Yea. I don't care about the red car. I am referring to the wheels on the black car only.

Quick Reply: Dealership ruined my oem wheels. Will buy me new oem 18". Which one to get?