Tein Basis Coilovers? Yes, no?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 11:08 PM
Broski28
Registered Member

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Are you saying Tein doesn't have an EDFC available for street-worthy CO's?
False.

Originally Posted by 4DRZ
I think the Basis is the only one I would drive on the street. I did daily drive Tein Monoflex on the street when I was younger, but I don't think my body could take that kind of punishment anymore. However, it was entertaining to take my "well endowed" female friends for a bumpy ride
OP don't be misled here. Tein CO are not only intended for track use.

I have a set of Street Flex coilovers and I love them. Granted they are on a 2015 Nismo Z and not a G, regardless I presume they can't be much different.

I have them paired with an EDFC Active Pro dampening controller and its incredible.

Nismo owners know the OEM Nismo suspension can be quite rough for daily or city driving. Tein provides a much smoother ride, and IMO far from stiff. Keep in mind I am only lowered roughly an inch. Even with the dampening settings to full stiff the ride is comfortable.

If your willing to spend a little more I would recommend them. I know they are available for RWD and I believe AWD as well but dont quote me on that.

Hope this helps.

PS: Do some digging if you're interested, you can find great deals on them. I got mine for $1200 shipped.
Old 01-19-2016, 02:56 AM
allen88909
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by takeapieandrun
Like said above of course they are rough compared to comfort luxury brands, but if you're going for that you shouldn't be modifying suspension. I am very satisfied with the ride quality and performance benefits for a daily driver. Never had anybody complain about it.
Originally Posted by lobuzz311
+1 to the previous 2 comments. Ride really nice and feel very sporty at the same time.
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
They are by far the smoothest coilovers I have ever had and I have had a lot of different brands on many cars over the years. They ride basically the same as the stock S suspension 95% of the time. The only roads I notice any difference on are newer roads that the seams are not right and the pavement is wavy. It will feel bouncy in any car on these roads and a bit bouncier with the Tein Basis.

If you have had coilovers before and know how awful most of them are on the street, you will be impressed with how smooth these ride. If you have only owned Buick and Lexus cars in the past, they will feel rough.
thanks for all the input.

I have it on about 4000 miles now, but I am debating to go back to stock mainly for the ride height and bumpy rides.

I am roughly 1' drop at 26.5 FTG (basically closed the wheel to fender gap), but this is bad enough as I am constantly scrapping my front lip and hitting the exhaust on speed bumps.

The ride is rough and bumpy on some freeways, bringing rattles in the interior parts, especially the center console/dash trims.

wish I can get the ride height just another 1/2" higher, also, when you raise the ride height, does it ride smoother, and vice versa, does it make ride harsh by lowering more?
Old 01-19-2016, 03:27 PM
main_shoby
Registered Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by allen88909
thanks for all the input.

I have it on about 4000 miles now, but I am debating to go back to stock mainly for the ride height and bumpy rides.

I am roughly 1' drop at 26.5 FTG (basically closed the wheel to fender gap), but this is bad enough as I am constantly scrapping my front lip and hitting the exhaust on speed bumps.

The ride is rough and bumpy on some freeways, bringing rattles in the interior parts, especially the center console/dash trims.

wish I can get the ride height just another 1/2" higher, also, when you raise the ride height, does it ride smoother, and vice versa, does it make ride harsh by lowering more?
My settings for reference.
I have lowest setting with the spring seats in rear wheels and following settings in front.

Above said settings translated to this look and I don’t have any scraping issue under the car. When car is loaded with 4 adults I hit front lip on some speed bumps. If I take care of when fully loaded and go slow, I don’t get any scraping.

this is how it looked right after I adjusted front.

and this is how she looks now (3 weeks later)

PS: Freshly polished and applied Cquartz uk + reload (11 hours work)

Last edited by main_shoby; 01-19-2016 at 03:33 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by main_shoby:
B_real45 (06-06-2016), takeapieandrun (01-23-2016)
Old 01-19-2016, 04:33 PM
Phx-G37s

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Hey you guys seen the new flex z from Tein? It's basically the street flex series, but sealed so it is t rebuildable, but it keeps cost down to $895. I think that's pretty good, street flex are usually like 1200-1700 I thought right? At that price would be good deal, and if blow one just replace.

What you think? Seems like much better option than Tein basic for only 100 or so more.
Old 01-20-2016, 11:34 AM
nelledge
n00b

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Phx-G37s
Hey you guys seen the new flex z from Tein? It's basically the street flex series, but sealed so it is t rebuildable, but it keeps cost down to $895. I think that's pretty good, street flex are usually like 1200-1700 I thought right? At that price would be good deal, and if blow one just replace.

What you think? Seems like much better option than Tein basic for only 100 or so more.
Not sure on the direct comparison as I have seen no reviews yet. You could be one of the first. Keep in mind, it may have been a typo, but the Tein Basic and Basis are different animals. One letter makes quite a difference. And FWIW, the Tein Basis can be had for $600 which makes the price you found on the flex z 50% more than the Basis.
Old 01-22-2016, 11:52 AM
RJ's_G37
Registered Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
I've had mine on for almost 2 months and I love them...unless my measurements are off or different I'm at 22 3/4 up front and 22" in the back..no complaints yet other than I might higher up the front a tad bit
Old 01-22-2016, 03:01 PM
Phx-G37s

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Rj do you mean the tein flex z or tein basic?
Flex z is same as street flex, but a sealed shock to keep costs down. Can not rebuild them, you just replace the shock when goes out.
Old 01-22-2016, 03:17 PM
RJ's_G37
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Phx-G37s
Rj do you mean the tein flex z or tein basic?
Flex z is same as street flex, but a sealed shock to keep costs down. Can not rebuild them, you just replace the shock when goes out.
tein basis
Old 01-22-2016, 03:18 PM
lobuzz311
Registered Member

Received 97 Likes on 67 Posts
Tein Basis Coilovers? Yes, no?

Originally Posted by RJ's_G37
I've had mine on for almost 2 months and I love them...unless my measurements are off or different I'm at 22 3/4 up front and 22" in the back..no complaints yet other than I might higher up the front a tad bit
I'm guessing you mean 26.75 & 26?
At 22 fender to ground, you'd be tucking wheel...

Looks good, though!
Old 01-24-2016, 12:16 AM
RJ's_G37
Registered Member

Originally Posted by lobuzz311
I'm guessing you mean 26.75 & 26?
At 22 fender to ground, you'd be tucking wheel...

Looks good, though!
thanks yeah its 26.75 and 26 in the back I'm thinking of just going 26 all around.
Old 01-24-2016, 11:46 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by RJ's_G37
thanks yeah its 26.75 and 26 in the back I'm thinking of just going 26 all around.
Dropping 3/4" in front will make your daily driving quite a bit more "adventurous", I'm at 26.25" front & rear (zero fender gap) and found that is perfect for daily driving, I was 25.75" in front before on springs and that was a b*tch, that extra 1/2" higher made the drive so much easier. But since you can adjust the height try going 26 on all 4 and see if you share my opinion.
Old 02-07-2016, 08:27 AM
micafd3s

Received 114 Likes on 102 Posts
its goin to be the difference in suspension travel against the distance from your lowest point on the car to the ground..
as in.. its goin to depend on your exhaust..
Old 02-22-2016, 04:14 PM
SiKHG37
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
So overall how much of a drop can you get from these? From the posts it seems like 1" all around.
Old 02-22-2016, 05:01 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by SiKHG37
So overall how much of a drop can you get from these? From the posts it seems like 1" all around.
It's a mild drop coilover, but well over 1", I think the recommended drop range for these is 1.2" to about 2.5", and they can go lower but it will shorten the damper life and diminish ride quality.
Old 02-24-2016, 02:24 PM
xpcgamer
Registered Member

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
I have raised mine 5 turns front and back. Just got back from the Alignment shop and the ride is way better. I am now at 26 3/4 all the way around. I'll do the "speed bump" test later today when I get my girls from school. Did find out one thing thou. I have to lube my front sways!

Quick Reply: Tein Basis Coilovers? Yes, no?