Tein Basis Coilovers? Yes, no?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 07:56 PM
Slayerg37

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Tein Basis Coilovers? Yes, no?

Hey guys! Hows everyone? Happy holidays to all!

Looking to treat myself for this holidays but cant go overboard since I bought an exhaust and have to treat others as well.

Anyways...Ive been reading and ive seen a lot of people recommending the Tein Basis, and I mean for the price... crap HELL YEAH! Im just wondering how low can they go? Im dropped on eibach springs right now and just wanting to know how lower they go and ride quality?
Old 12-15-2015, 08:07 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
For me, it was more of a question how *high* can they go. Which is a practical consideration, not a lifestyle choice. Anyway, if all you want is a conservative drop with these coilovers, then the collar rings are maxed out at the bottom threads. Well, rears at least. IDK about the fronts.

As for being worth the entry price... absolutely. The ride comfort is seemingly identical to the RWD OEM Sport shocks. And the handling is as good or better than the same.

Here's an example: I just swapped my summer wheels & tires for my winter setup, which is OEM 18" duckfeet and Bridgestone Blizzaks. Last winter I was on Swift Springs in the front and back. This winter, my rears are Tein Basis coilovers; (fronts are still Swifts.) Each winter, I dread the cutover, because the handling really sucks comparing PSS to snowtires. But this winter, I can't help but feel more securely planted than last. Things are still squirrelly on a hard launch, but that's the rubber. Feeling more securely planted... that's the suspension.

And the only change is these rear CO's, so I attribute it to them.
Old 12-15-2015, 08:37 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
The Teins aren't a coilover that should be slammed, you can go quite a bit lower than Eibachs, but to get max damper life and best handling you should stay in their green zone. Check their site and it shows the drop range that they recommend, anything lower than that and there will be compromises. Luckily that range is still quite low, at least 2" in front and 1.8" in back.
It lists Coupe, but this is also the sedan part #
TEIN USA | COILOVER KIT & SPRING KIT SEARCH ?INFINITI?G37 COUPE?2008+?STREET BASIS
The following 2 users liked this post by blnewt:
skeener (01-22-2016), Slayerg37 (12-15-2015)
Old 12-15-2015, 10:06 PM
Slayerg37

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
The Teins aren't a coilover that should be slammed, you can go quite a bit lower than Eibachs, but to get max damper life and best handling you should stay in their green zone. Check their site and it shows the drop range that they recommend, anything lower than that and there will be compromises. Luckily that range is still quite low, at least 2" in front and 1.8" in back.
TEIN USA | COILOVER KIT & SPRING KIT SEARCH ?INFINITI?G37 COUPE?2008+?STREET BASIS
I mean the range they recommend it is kinda low and probably lowest Ill go for DD. Havent heard of someone to slam their car on these ....hmm,kinda dont wanna be the first one.

Originally Posted by Rochester
For me, it was more of a question how *high* can they go. Which is a practical consideration, not a lifestyle choice. Anyway, if all you want is a conservative drop with these coilovers, then the collar rings are maxed out at the bottom threads. Well, rears at least. IDK about the fronts.

As for being worth the entry price... absolutely. The ride comfort is seemingly identical to the RWD OEM Sport shocks. And the handling is as good or better than the same.

Here's an example: I just swapped my summer wheels & tires for my winter setup, which is OEM 18" duckfeet and Bridgestone Blizzaks. Last winter I was on Swift Springs in the front and back. This winter, my rears are Tein Basis coilovers; (fronts are still Swifts.) Each winter, I dread the cutover, because the handling really sucks comparing PSS to snowtires. But this winter, I can't help but feel more securely planted than last. Things are still squirrelly on a hard launch, but that's the rubber. Feeling more securely planted... that's the suspension.

And the only change is these rear CO's, so I attribute it to them.
Yeah...Ive heard nothing but good things about swift but I'm pretty sure coilovers would always offer the best handling since you can tune stuff and such.
Old 12-15-2015, 10:10 PM
xpcgamer
Registered Member

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Words to live by.
I have my car lowered and honestly the ride is driving me nuts. To damn stiff. I would have to raise it more to get the ride to soften up. If I do that then why did I bother getting CO's in the first place? I should have gotten a set of mild springs. If all you want to do is lower your car a bit and have the ability to change the height at random then go ahead. To me it has not been worth it. It's lowered and the alignment is set. So if I am going on a trip and need to raise the car not only do I spend the time to raise but now its a trip to the shop for another alignment. Spend the money and get something with adjustable damping. Count on at least spending 1k for coil overs. Keep it mild and you should be ok. Lower more then the 2" and forget about it.
Good luck.
Old 12-16-2015, 11:43 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by xpcgamer
Words to live by.
I have my car lowered and honestly the ride is driving me nuts. To damn stiff. I would have to raise it more to get the ride to soften up. If I do that then why did I bother getting CO's in the first place? I should have gotten a set of mild springs. If all you want to do is lower your car a bit and have the ability to change the height at random then go ahead. To me it has not been worth it. It's lowered and the alignment is set. So if I am going on a trip and need to raise the car not only do I spend the time to raise but now its a trip to the shop for another alignment. Spend the money and get something with adjustable damping. Count on at least spending 1k for coil overs. Keep it mild and you should be ok. Lower more then the 2" and forget about it.
Good luck.
If you raise the height on the Tein Basis you are actually compressing the springs. I raised the rear 1/4" over Tein's suggested height and that seemed to smooth out the only two roads that seemed a bit bumpier than the stock sport suspension. Planning to dial it in a little more once we finally get some snow hear and I switch to the snow tires. It looks a bit slammed at the suggested height with the stock wheels/tires. Here it is with both sets of rims and tires at Tein's suggested height.

Overall, I would say it rides very close to the stock sport suspension. Newer roads that look smooth, but are actually wavy feel a bit bouncier than stock. I only have two of these types of roads in my area and I usually do not even notice the difference unless I am thinking about it. Other than that, it feels similar in ride quality. As far as performance, the car feels much more planted and corners much more flat as well.

Old 12-16-2015, 01:25 PM
Rochester
Administrator

4DRZ, looking at your drop with duckfeet... that's why I use 15mm spacers in the winter.

(pic from this time last year)

Old 12-16-2015, 02:33 PM
main_shoby
Registered Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I have tein basis coil overs. I took blnewt's word and bought them. I am satisfied with my purchase. These coilovers wont let you slam the car but like blnewt said, they do go lower than eibachs.
In my case, i ran 20s with a bit of stretched setup i wanted to go lower than lowest point of these coilovers so I took out the upper locking ring from spring seat. This dropped another half inch.
At this setting my ride was stiff. I cant tell you how stiff it is, I never owned any other coilover / cant measure stiffness but its definitely stiffer than eibach lowering springs. When I changed my wheels with 285s in rear, I increased height to lowest minimum, that is, spring seats with upper ring installed. Now my car feels a bit softer / smoother, still stiffer than eibachs. I can only compare them with eibach springs because my cousin has them on his g37 sedan and I drove that car for more than 600 miles lol.

I will post some pictures with new wheels and increased height later today.

I hope this helps

These pics are with spring seat upper ring removed.

Last edited by main_shoby; 12-16-2015 at 02:40 PM.
Old 12-16-2015, 03:22 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by main_shoby
At this setting my ride was stiff. I cant tell you how stiff it is, I never owned any other coilover / cant measure stiffness but its definitely stiffer than eibach lowering springs. When I changed my wheels with 285s in rear, I increased height to lowest minimum, that is, spring seats with upper ring installed. Now my car feels a bit softer / smoother, still stiffer than eibachs.
As far as comparing the ride of Tein Basis to other coilovers I would have to say these ride far smoother than any other Tein, JIC, or japanese coilover. I had Koni inserts on another car and from what I can remember, the Tein Basis seem a touch smoother than those too. Both rode well.

4DRZ, looking at your drop with duckfeet... that's why I use 15mm spacers in the winter.
Don't worry, once it snows the duckfeet are never going back on the car. (I am in the process of figuring out a much wider set of rims and tires for the spring.) I guess it is hard to tell from my pics, but the car looks really slammed in person because of the tall sidewalls.
Old 12-16-2015, 08:21 PM
xpcgamer
Registered Member

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
4DRZ
What is the floor to fender heights you have? Did you measure them?
I don't think I am that low or as low as you are. Thinking of going higher soon and hoping it smooths out some.

Old 12-17-2015, 08:45 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by xpcgamer
4DRZ
What is the floor to fender heights you have? Did you measure them?
I don't think I am that low or as low as you are. Thinking of going higher soon and hoping it smooths out some.
Great question. I measured it and forgot to write it down. I am at the Tein recommended heights for the G37. Mine just looks low due to the tall stock sidewalls. It is hard to tell in the pictures, but it does not look nearly as slammed with the snow tires with shorter sidewalls.

What issue are you having with the ride? Is it bouncier than stock on some roads? That is the only difference in ride quality I noticed. I know raising up the rear only 1/4" on mine and compressing the spring a bit did smooth out the bounciness a little bit. I am going to experiment a bit more once I get the snows on and probably more in the spring with wide/sticky tires.

I know it seems wierd to compress the spring and have it smooth out the ride, but usually bounciness is due to the spring being too soft compared to the damper. Over bumps my car seems almost a bit smoother than the stock sport suspension.
Old 12-18-2015, 09:22 AM
supreme
Registered Member

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
I had the Street Advance on my Acura TL, and I was cool about it. Basis I wouldn't. I need the dampening feature, but not so much of spring rate. Upgrade to the next level, and they will go for thousands of miles. Built like tanks.
Old 12-18-2015, 09:27 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Elijah A. Moore
I need the dampening feature
In Baltimore? Sure, I believe that. I spent 3 days in downtown Baltimore once, and the roads were challenging. If there were a way to make the ride as soft as possible while downtown, but stiff and sporty elsewhere, that's the way to go.

However, if I were needing to adjust damping on a regular basis, I'd also want EDFC. That would be a hard requirement.
Old 12-18-2015, 11:15 AM
supreme
Registered Member

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
In Baltimore? Sure, I believe that. I spent 3 days in downtown Baltimore once, and the roads were challenging. If there were a way to make the ride as soft as possible while downtown, but stiff and sporty elsewhere, that's the way to go.

However, if I were needing to adjust damping on a regular basis, I'd also want EDFC. That would be a hard requirement.
Yeah, city streets are trash. Therefore, I stayed on the outskirts of the city as much as possible, or did 20 MPH through the city.

I ran pretty stiff, but the front was slightly soft to grab the potholes. By the time I hit the front, I could have usually adjusted direction before it hit the back wheels.

For this reason, I would rather have bags, but I cant afford them at this time ...That will combat damper and height problems. Adding very needed versatility at times.
Old 12-18-2015, 12:35 PM
CPJ LB
Registered Member

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts
I can't seem to locate fitment specs.... want to confirm if these Teins will work on the AWD sedans.... prolly not, but would like to confirm.

Quick Reply: Tein Basis Coilovers? Yes, no?