Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about buying a third car

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 03:33 AM
FlyIce

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking about buying a third car

I think my situation is kind of different from those "moving on after G" folks. I like G37x and want to keep it as my daily driving car for years to come. However, after having the G and a 2013 BMW X5 in my family I learned the fun of driving "nicer" cars. So much so that I'm now considering to buy a 3rd car, just for fun in summer/weekend drives.

Having the G and X5 killed a lot choices, so I think I'm left with few of those really expensive cars. Unfortunately I'm not rich by any stretch so I aim to sth used under $30k or better close to $20k. Being the 3rd car I can afford it to be old (2000-2010) and of high mileage. I'm married with two kids so I absolutely don't care people thinking I'm cheap driving old used high end cars as long as I can truly enjoy the car. The car can be much less practical and a bit more expensive to maintain (I can eat couple $K/year in maintenance, but no more), but it just has to drive nice and give me distinctly more fun than riding the G.

Everything considered, I really haven't found sth other than used Porsche that may fit the bill. It's dramatically different from either G37 or X5, and being a top sports car it seems to have quite a good reputation of reliability although any repair can be super expensive. As far as I can find the internet is flooded with praises boosting how much fun and amazement driving a Porsche.

Well, today I test drove a 2000 911 with 70k miles and I was totally disappointed. The car drives just you'd expect from a 15 years old clunky, leaving me absolutely nothing nice to say about it. I wouldn't even drive it for free since my G is so far better. There is absolutely no comparison.

This is my first time ever in a Porsche so I'm still open minded and will test drive more. I'm in no hurry but could really appreciate some suggestions. Am I pipe dreaming that a 10-15 year old Porsche could drive better than a 2010 G37x or a 2013 X5?

Last edited by FlyIce; 11-15-2015 at 03:38 AM.
Old 11-15-2015, 08:35 AM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 298 Likes on 236 Posts
It's probably getting tougher to find a clean one with higher mileage, but maybe worth looking at the NSX?
Old 11-15-2015, 08:59 AM
KEG97
Registered Member

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
Consider whether you need to reassess your expectations for the 3rd car. My Miata is not a "better" car than the G. It's older and lacks modern features. It's slow (I keep debating putting a SC into it) and noisy. But it's more fun and just a simpler car. It's my RWD street legal go-cart Add to that, it's a convertible and it's a car I choose to drive many days over the other nicer cars in the garage.
Old 11-15-2015, 10:22 AM
jtn
Registered Member

The AP1 Honda S2000 would be a awesome summer car. A coworker of mine has one that has about 200,000+ miles on it. He said the motor was still like new when he did a compression test on it.
Old 11-15-2015, 10:31 AM
xpcgamer
Registered Member

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Forget the 2000 911 due to the IMS issue's unless it has been upgraded. If you want a 911 look for a 87 to 90. You get the better G50 tranny. I have always loved that era of 911. I am kind of in the same boat as you. I am thinking of giving my G to my wife and thinking about going with something like a Jeep Commander. Can some off roading with my Jeep buddies and can fit my 2 girls on long trips with out issue.
Old 11-15-2015, 11:08 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by jtn
The AP1 Honda S2000 would be a awesome summer car. A coworker of mine has one that has about 200,000+ miles on it. He said the motor was still like new when he did a compression test on it.
This^^^ Great cars to drive, not luxury by any means but a kick in the pants. There's still plenty of nice ones floating around but expect to pay high teens to $20k for real clean examples.

A BMW 135i would be another one to consider for driving pleasure, again, no luxury here but putting a huge smile on your face tends to take a front seat.
Old 11-15-2015, 03:16 PM
FlyIce

Thank you guys for the responses! From the internet I knew the IMS issue about Porsche 996(?) and I just thought to give it a test drive first (the owner asking for $18000) before worrying about the IMS issues. S2000, Miata and 135i are good suggestions and I'll find chance to test drive them.

Presently the performance of G makes me crave for cars even faster or at least as fast, plus better handling. Seems any car significantly outperforms the G is going for double or triple prices so I guess an affordable used one in excellent condition is hard to come. The good thing about buying the 3rd car is I can take time to find the right one.
Old 11-15-2015, 03:50 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by FlyIce
Thank you guys for the responses! From the internet I knew the IMS issue about Porsche 996(?) and I just thought to give it a test drive first (the owner asking for $18000) before worrying about the IMS issues. S2000, Miata and 135i are good suggestions and I'll find chance to test drive them.

Presently the performance of G makes me crave for cars even faster or at least as fast, plus better handling. Seems any car significantly outperforms the G is going for double or triple prices so I guess an affordable used one in excellent condition is hard to come. The good thing about buying the 3rd car is I can take time to find the right one.
Yeah, the Miata won't run w/ the G without serious mods, the S2K will be slightly slower, but the 135i will dust the G out of the box and pretty easy to add even more gain on them.
Old 11-15-2015, 04:09 PM
FlyIce

By a simple search I can find several used 135i under $20k, at least a good thing in terms of affordable price.
Old 11-15-2015, 05:24 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by STownSaint
It's probably getting tougher to find a clean one with higher mileage, but maybe worth looking at the NSX?
YES!

When I first read the OP's post, nothing came to mind enough to make a suggestion. Personally, I've always been drawn to the 2006 Pontiac GTO, even though I know they're a little crude, with outdated styling easily confused with a domestic economy car of yesteryear. Still, the heart wants what the heart wants.

But STownSaint, I think you nailed it. As a third car, a toy, owning a NSX would be extremely rewarding.
Old 11-15-2015, 05:52 PM
FlyIce

Not familiar with NSX and never seen one on the road. The price is very high though: $37.5k for a 1992 NSX with 91k miles - the only one I could find around Pittsburgh on Autotrader .
Old 11-15-2015, 05:55 PM
FlyIce

There is another 2002 NSX, 12k miles and it's for $99.99k! I believe it's a good car, but clearly way more expensive even than used 911s.
Old 11-15-2015, 06:01 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Not familiar with NSX and never seen one on the road.
It's crazy uncommon. Very Ferrari-like at first glance. Believe me, if you saw one in person, it would make an impression. Mid-engine awesome, total driver's car.

The price is very high though: $37.5k for a 1992 NSX with 91k miles - the only one I could find around Pittsburgh on Autotrader .
That would be the kind of car you travel for in order to acquire one.

In fact, if you're goal is to find something special as a used toy between $20-30K, then traveling to buy the car, or buying it unseen and having it shipped... you should get comfortable with that idea.

Here... love the reviews these guys do. And towards the end here, they make a great alternative point, which is the Cayman S.. which you'd probably appreciate more than the 911. The 911 is a buckboard ride, very impractical as a DD, backseats notwithstanding.

Last edited by Rochester; 11-15-2015 at 06:11 PM.
The following users liked this post:
indowanksta88 (11-21-2015)
Old 11-15-2015, 06:08 PM
FlyIce

Originally Posted by Rochester
buying it unseen and having it shipped... you should get comfortable with that idea.
That's probably the hardest part for me to get over. Based on my experiences, no matter how nice a car looks on paper and in appearance, once the car moves anything could happen.

Before buying the G I test drove two Maxima. The 2013 one with much less miles looks very nice but drove like crap, while the 2010 one with much more miles did way better. This kind of experiences totally destroyed me in terms of buying a car without test driving it by myself.
Old 11-15-2015, 06:14 PM
Rochester
Administrator

I did say "travel", too. Of course, you'd have to be prepared to travel back home without the car, and make a gut-choice decision on the spot.

Quick Reply: Thinking about buying a third car