Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Hesistant, sluggish acceleration at lower speeds

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 06:45 PM
ATL

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am experiencing this as well from time to time, it feels like the transmission is at its highest gear when driving at low speeds which makes it feel sluggish. I'm thinking its due to how the transmissions is programmed.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:26 PM
John_37x

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just bought a 2013 37x and have experienced hesitation in different ways. Most concerning is coming to an almost stop (rolling stop) and trying to accelerate like from a stop line. As mentioned in the previous post it seems like while the car is coasting under 10 mph, the tranny seems to be in 5th gear. When I hit the gas it delays then dops into 1st and jerks into gear. No idea if the aforementioned tranny updates have been done but I am running 93 octane.
Old 09-28-2016, 09:09 AM
mjnoles1
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I agree with peoples thoughts on this. For 328hp and 269 of torque, the car just feels sluggish compared to other cars and yes my car has the latest software and I only use 93.

My 2004 Lexus IS300 with only 215hp and 218tq felt more preppy, quicker off the line feeling (I know it is not quicker off the line but the feeling says differently).

My Mom used to have a BMW 335i convertible, now that thing got up and went right off the line. That is how I thought the G37 would feel, I was wrong.
The following users liked this post:
tiguy99 (08-21-2019)
Old 09-29-2016, 12:00 AM
PDattaTV
Registered Member

I have the same problem so youre not alone. I will ask for the updates hopefully it'll get better
Old 09-29-2016, 08:55 PM
John_37x

Newbie question, what are the transmission updates? Is it a chip flash or similar?
Old 10-03-2016, 01:54 PM
gman69
Registered Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by misc
2013 here....gonna go ahead and stop by the dealer as well and ask about the updates
Did you ever have it checked out?
Old 10-03-2016, 01:57 PM
crb1468crb

Originally Posted by mjnoles1
I agree with peoples thoughts on this. For 328hp and 269 of torque, the car just feels sluggish compared to other cars and yes my car has the latest software and I only use 93.

My 2004 Lexus IS300 with only 215hp and 218tq felt more preppy, quicker off the line feeling (I know it is not quicker off the line but the feeling says differently).

My Mom used to have a BMW 335i convertible, now that thing got up and went right off the line. That is how I thought the G37 would feel, I was wrong.

Our torque doesn't even come in till you're just touch 2900 revs which is a shame.
Old 10-03-2016, 02:04 PM
Melfus Rufus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by John_37x
I just bought a 2013 37x and have experienced hesitation in different ways. Most concerning is coming to an almost stop (rolling stop) and trying to accelerate like from a stop line. As mentioned in the previous post it seems like while the car is coasting under 10 mph, the tranny seems to be in 5th gear. When I hit the gas it delays then dops into 1st and jerks into gear. No idea if the aforementioned tranny updates have been done but I am running 93 octane.
I have been practicing and experimenting with the manual transmission function with my 2009 G37 vert for the past couple of weeks. The hesitation described in this thread completely disappears with the use of the manual transmission, so this hesitation in the automatic mode has to be the transmission programming. At least in the G37 vert, the culprit appears to be the programming.
Old 08-21-2019, 06:18 PM
tiguy99
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Have been interested in getting a 09-10 G37x sedan or 07-08 G35X sedan recently.
This post scares me as I've been thinking the trans updates fixed the hesitation issues.

Some people swear the updates fixed the issues while others mention minimal difference.
Outside of the higher speed /HP advantage of the G37, and all things being equal:

would a low mileage mint condition 07-08 G35 be a better buy drivability wise vs a slightly higher mileage 09-10 G37?
Old 08-22-2019, 07:14 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by tiguy99
Have been interested in getting a 09-10 G37x sedan or 07-08 G35X sedan recently.
This post scares me as I've been thinking the trans updates fixed the hesitation issues.

Some people swear the updates fixed the issues while others mention minimal difference.
Outside of the higher speed /HP advantage of the G37, and all things being equal:

would a low mileage mint condition 07-08 G35 be a better buy drivability wise vs a slightly higher mileage 09-10 G37?
You should drive em both and decide which one you like better...they drive quite differently... It's not just the transmission gearing thats different, the final drive gearing in the differentials is more aggressive in the 07-08 and the power delivery in the 3.5L hr engine is different as there is no variable valve timing... Personally I prefer the 07-08 drivetrain and looks but it gets worse gas mileage than the 09-10 ...also the styling is different on the 2010 (the 09 looks like the 07-08) so consider which one you like better... The 09-10 is also heavier so the power bump isn't all that great, The 07-08 5at wont have transmission updates like in the 09-10 either if that's a concern
tiguy99 (09-09-2019)
Old 08-29-2019, 03:01 PM
ukmastermind
Registered Member

Cleaning the throttle bodies eliminated my lag and rough idle. I put in a bottle of Jectron with 91 Shell to finish it off
Nkamp15 (11-01-2019)
Old 08-29-2019, 04:56 PM
Overboard
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If your transmission has been updated already, or if there isn't an update for the '13, I would suggest these two things:

First, try turning off traction control and see if the throttle response doesn't improve. That's the cheap and easy one. Turning off the nanny is the only thing outside of driving in manual mode that I've found to work reliably, with a properly updated and maintained G.

Second, clean your throttle bodies. Even if they 'look' clean, there can be buildup along the edge of the valve and the matching spot of the throttle body itself. It may not look like much, but it can make a HUGE difference.

If neither of these work and you haven't done it, some people (self included) had good luck installing a grounding kit.
tiguy99 (09-09-2019)
Old 09-24-2019, 10:47 AM
grabbajay
Registered Member

did you ever find out what was the issue. this is exactly whats happening to me.
Old 09-26-2019, 05:00 PM
Musa01

Hello Everyone, I hope you all g37 soldiers are doing great.
I have 2, 2013 infiniti g37's. The first one is a sport g37 with 45k miles. the second one is a journey package with 50k miles. both are 2013 and I am the second owner of both. and I bought both of them from the same guy which was the first owner of both of the cars. Now I have owned many cars outside of the infiniti field, the best experience and luck that I have had was with a 2007 Lexus IS350. to start with I have no issues at all with the sport g37 that I own, meanwhile In the journey I have a **** ton of laggy acceleration and a very rough engine idle. To make things clear I went to the dealer took both of the cars to them, I let them test drove both and they kept saying both are fine, and there are no issues with the journey. and when I drove the journey it drove exactly as the sport did well at least for a couple of hours, I pushed the car very heavily thanks to my heavy foot. what they did was reset the ECU, which i found out later on, the problem appeared again and I still have a very laggy acceleration, I cleaned the throthle bodies and the MAF sensors, that improved the issue quite significantly, with the experience I have with my other infinitis such as a 2008 g35 sport, or a 2011 g37 coupe, or the current 2013 Sport one the journey one isnt even quite near how strong the other ones run, even though all of them have the same amount of power I believe, I have done all sorts of stuff to the journey, such as clean the MAF sensors, Clean the Throttle bodies, Reset the ECU, and Drive it like I stole it, Or turn of the traction Control, although all of these factors did improve the issue, but my main issue is still there which is, my journey doesnt downshift when i accelerate this happens quite often is the 3rd gear, lets say I am cruising at 40mph and i press the gas all the way, it wont downshift to second gear to just takes off which is what my sport one does, it stay in 3rd or 4th and take off in that gear, this issue is mostly in 3rd gear, and the car is perfectly fine in higher speeds over 80mph. Does anyone know anything about it, No the dealer does not know anything about it because I have taken it into 3 different dealers all they do is reset the ECU which really changes the car into a beast and it drives like the sport one I have, but after a while it turns back into a grandma car, at times she is very confused not knowing what to do. speed up all the way or speed up a little bit. If anyone can help me that would be great. sorry for my long paragraph Thanks in advance, Hopefully I hear your opinions.
Old 05-24-2023, 03:57 PM
ro0kie
Registered Member

G37S Coupe 6MT

Hi my fellow G owners….I was hoping to get light on this issue I’m having.
so for the past couple weeks I’ve been experiencing some sluggish acceleration when from a stop point to go, weirdly enough this only happens when the car is warm like 30 mins driving, in the morning, after the initial warm up, there’s no issue at all, I press the gas and he just goes and asks for more….
What I noticed is when I press the gas, not exactly a full send, but kinda, I feel the car go but in that split second it’s like it cuts off and after hitting the 2k rpm then it launches almost like there’s a turbo kicking in
(no turbo, yet), last year I replaced the spark plugs, while at it, soft clean in the throttle bodies, air filters, checked the MAF’s, all good, usually I got for 93 or 94 octane.
the other day I noticed a buzzing cuz there was a wall on my side which makes sounds more audible, but it’s not related with any pulleys or anything like that cuz I have it a lil gas to see if the buzzing would increase and nothing, but when brake and start releasing the clutch dipping the rpm to roughly 500 almost stalling, the buzzing stops only to later come back.
anyone ever experienced similar symptoms?
any advices or confirmations would be greatly appreciated