Sponsored by:

Car wouldn't start, red car and key flashing

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 08:25 PM
si_driver
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts
Car wouldn't start, red car and key flashing

Just had a strange problem. I needed to mount a dash cam in the car, so I opened the door with the fob, opened the passenger side door got it. I need power for the dash cam so I pressed the start button once. I am in there for about 3 or 4 minutes with the radio playing. I get out and try to lock the car with the fob, nothing happens..

I got into the car and tried to start it, nothing, I put the fob into that slot, nothing, got the second fob, nothing, radio still playing, but nothing else is working, can't lock doors manually, can't open windows, absolutely nothing other than the radio is working.. Quick google search indicates a possible tow to the dealership.. GREAT!!!..

Last resort, I unpluged the battery for 2 minutes. Car is working again.

Anyone else run into this issue before. not sure I want to try to duplicate the scenario ....

BTW, 2012 G37xS with 48,000 miles.
Old 07-27-2015, 02:01 AM
takeapieandrun
Registered Member

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
I have. My car locked up on me after changing the headlights (I had them on for maybe 2 minutes to check they worked). I panicked and thought my ECU was fried.. on top of that the alarm was going off because my locks wouldn't work and I had to reach in through the window to unlock the car manually. I disconnected it over night, and got a jump from my dad and started up fine. Realized it was ultimately a bad battery. Got a Duralast gold and haven't had the problem again..

I'm guessing our cars freak out when the voltage from the battery dips a bit low. After the first time, it never does it again and just refuses to start if it gets low enough.
The following users liked this post:
dbeachy1 (07-28-2015)
Old 07-27-2015, 11:35 AM
VIVID
Pyroclastic Flow

Received 358 Likes on 277 Posts
+1 On that experience due to a bad battery.

Took a while to figure out because a new battery was installed to correct the problem (Bad Cell). Turns out the new battery came from same lot of batteries as the previous one...it was a bad cell again. But before that: the dealer was chasing wiring/draw issues...dealer finally figured out the batteries came from same lot and got another (#3) from a different lot of batteries. I have never looked back.

Sean
Old 07-27-2015, 12:05 PM
si_driver
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts
Kind of would makes sense, but my car started working correctly and started just fine after I unplugged the battery for a minute - same battery.
Old 07-27-2015, 04:42 PM
takeapieandrun
Registered Member

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
Mine discharged over night to the point it wouldn't even crank after giving me no problems for the previous 2 years. But I think that initial voltage drop from a weakening battery is what makes the car go bonkers while in acc or on mode, I don't think it replicates it again if you're just trying to start up the car. I ran with the same battery for a week after and had to get jumps once in a while but for the most part it was good.
Old 07-27-2015, 06:32 PM
VeXeD

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
Immobilizer system? ECU doesn't recognize key

Common maxima problem