Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

7AT failure at 29k miles?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 09:29 PM
DM-37

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
7AT failure at 29k miles?

- 2012 7AT G
- 29k miles
- No warranty due to salvage title
- Owned the car since 3,000 miles
- No CELs

Hi Guys, my car dies when I put it in R or D but idles and revs fine in P or N. What could the issue be? My go to mechanic tells me that my transmission has failed but that seems a little odd for a car with only 29k miles. If I gas it and build the revs before throwing it in D, it'll lurch forward and eventually start driving but the moment I come to a stop again, it dies. I'm completely lost at this point. Any help would be much appreciated!
Old 07-19-2015, 09:54 PM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 232 Likes on 208 Posts
Does it stumble and try to keep running when you put it in gear, or does it immediately stall?
Old 07-19-2015, 10:18 PM
securityguy

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Uh oh...better get AAMCO. In all seriousness, typically they'll do a diagnosis at no charge. If that's still true, let them look at it and see if they can determine the issue and provide you with an estimate so you can then make an assessment on your best next steps.
Old 07-19-2015, 11:10 PM
DM-37

Originally Posted by Epiphany
Does it stumble and try to keep running when you put it in gear, or does it immediately stall?
First off, I apologize for not using the multi-quote feature. Doesn't seem like it gives me the option when I'm browsing the site via iPhone.

Your first statement is spot on. It attempts to stay alive and then slowly stalls out seconds later.
Old 07-19-2015, 11:12 PM
DM-37

Originally Posted by securityguy
Uh oh...better get AAMCO. In all seriousness, typically they'll do a diagnosis at no charge. If that's still true, let them look at it and see if they can determine the issue and provide you with an estimate so you can then make an assessment on your best next steps.
This may seem like a dumb question, but is it possible for them to give a diagnosis when the car's not showing a CEL? Looks I'll be getting it towed out of the shop by Tuesday anyways. I take it Aamco is a fairly reputable company?
Old 07-19-2015, 11:17 PM
DM-37

Side-note:

I was hit ~3 months ago by a Prius that ran a red and noticed when I was driving the vehicle over to the shoulder that the transmission was acting oddly. Shortly afterwards, my buddy limped the car home (1.5 miles from the intersection where the accident occurred) and observed the same odd behavior. It was as if the car was in the wrong gear the entire way and fighting itself. Upon further inspection, insurance replaced primarily cosmetic components and the radiator support. However, now that this whole situation has happened I'm starting to wonder if the accident may have caused underlying damage that wasn't visible to the naked eye.

I was hit by a Prius that ran a red light (~50mph) as I was beginning to accelerate since my light of the intersection was green. I couldn't have been going more than 5-10mph but my vehicle was in drive, rolling forward and was subsequently pushed back upon impact.

Am I crazy to assume the accident could have something to do with this issue I'm experiencing?
Old 07-20-2015, 03:09 AM
DM-37

More random notes -

The car was VERY low on gas just before this happened and I managed to limp, stuttering and all to the nearest Shell station where I filled it up. Even after the fill-up, it continued the same behavior. I'm thinking (hoping) it may be something cheaper to fix than the transmission. Pulling my hair out over this. Haha
Old 07-20-2015, 12:37 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
Torque convertor locking up when it shouldn't? If that's the case, it's like trying to start the car while it's in gear. Torque convertor lockup only occurs under certain conditions, and definitely not while stationary. Without slippage, the car stalls. It's possible the collision damaged the solenoid and/or wiring or its controls.

It may just be coincidence this part failed. I suppose if it can be shown that it is related to the accident, your insurance should cover it as supplemental damage.
Old 07-20-2015, 04:49 PM
DM-37

I'm lead to believe that collision definitely played a role in this mess. It seems a little premature for things of this nature to start happening. Either way, quick status update - the vehice is being towed from my mechanic to the shop that Geico enlisted to do the repairs. If that shop cannot diagnose the issue/cause of the issue then the vehicle will be towed to the local Infiniti dealership. Fingers crossed. At this point, I would much rather take a check than have the keys back.
Old 07-20-2015, 09:18 PM
securityguy

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
AAMCO has been around forever and highly reputable when it comes to trannys.
Old 07-20-2015, 11:51 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
G/L w/ all this DM-37, sounds like that poor G has had a rough life
Old 07-21-2015, 02:33 PM
DM-37

Originally Posted by securityguy
AAMCO has been around forever and highly reputable when it comes to trannys.
I did a quick search on Yelp and there's one about 10-12 minutes away from my house with fantastic reviews. So, if all else fails, I'll be sending the G there. Thanks for letting me about them.

Originally Posted by blnewt
G/L w/ all this DM-37, sounds like that poor G has had a rough life
I'd venture to say that none of my cars have/had an easy life. I drove the **** out of my S2000, IS300, Civic and TL before this car. The G is by far the best put together and most well-rounded of the group. Not to mention the fastest. I still love the car and have nothing but good things to say when people talk to me my ownership experience thus far. It's just that sometimes cars can get a dose of bad luck, just like people. All in all, I like the car but what's motivating me to sell it even more than the random hit and run dents, inability to drive it, and tan interior is the fact that I miss driving a 6MT.
Old 07-23-2015, 03:02 PM
DM-37

Hey guys, wanted to update this thread for anyone that may be experiencing the same issues in the future. The mechanic shop it's currently at pulled two codes from the car's ECU;

- C1109 (battery fault, irrelevant, car just needs a new battery)
- P0725 (engine speed signal)

So, I spoke to the shop and now I'm going to have it towed over to AAMCO and go from there. I'll keep updating this until the vehicle is fixed.
Old 07-31-2015, 03:48 AM
DM-37

Update: The G's in the shop getting torn down. Should know soon if I just need to replace the torque converter or both the torque converter and the transmission. I'm assuming just the TC for now. The car would drive fine when it didn't stall out.
Old 07-31-2015, 09:53 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by DM-37
Update: The G's in the shop getting torn down. Should know soon if I just need to replace the torque converter or both the torque converter and the transmission. I'm assuming just the TC for now. The car would drive fine when it didn't stall out.
G/L hope you're back on the road soon, hope it doesn't set you back too much green.
The following users liked this post:
DM-37 (07-31-2015)

Quick Reply: 7AT failure at 29k miles?