Droopy Bum Fix for the G Sedan - Version 2.0

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 01:37 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
Agree with the above I had HR's and couldnt go anywhere with scrapping. I wanted a mild drop so went Swifts. at least for me and the X sedans the drop seems perfect.
Old 06-22-2015, 01:41 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
In order of drop~
H&Rs are almost slammed (unless they have another version they've added)
Tein S-Techs similar to ^^^
B&G S2s same as S Techs
Eibach & Swift are milder
Tanabe & Tein H Techs are the mildest.
That matches the general opinion of what I had in my head, except I thought Eibach was more severe than Swift. Either way, that's a fair round-up.

John, If you want to ditto this thread and post in the DIY folder I'll sticky it, or eventually move this one over, just let me know.
B
I think it's a good good candidate for a stickied DIY. Thanks, Brad. I'd also say let it ride until it quiets down and decide then. It's relevant enough for Sedan members to find here...

...like Mike, for example. Where's Mike? Hey Mikey, look down and to your left.

Last edited by Rochester; 06-22-2015 at 05:49 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rochester:
blnewt (06-22-2015), mike81 (03-05-2022)
Old 06-23-2015, 08:36 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by jgronline
I'm going to be putting Eibach springs on my car soon which is 2011 sedan 6MT so I'll take pictures to compare.
Originally Posted by Rochester
...but I didn't take measurements before the install. It would have been awesome if I had, particularly if I took the same approach that I did here.

Sadly, I don't have those numbers. Perhaps someone else running OEM springs on a RWD Sedan would be interested? If you want, click here and use this spreadsheet. Just fill in the blanks, and the average calculations will take care of themselves.
I nominate you, jgronline. Want to do this before your drop?

To repeat what I did:
  • Assuming proper tire pressure...
  • Assuming an empty trunk and back-seat...
  • Assuming a half-tank of gas (because that's what I had at the time)...
  • Find a flat and smooth surface parking lot, and target what seem to be level parking spots.
  • Take floor-to-fender measurements accurate to 1/16" of all four corners.
  • Turn the car around in the exact same spot and do it all over again.
  • Rinse and repeat for two more parking spots.
Old 06-23-2015, 11:16 AM
jgronline

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
I nominate you, jgronline. Want to do this before your drop?

To repeat what I did:
  • Assuming proper tire pressure...
  • Assuming an empty trunk and back-seat...
  • Assuming a half-tank of gas (because that's what I had at the time)...
  • Find a flat and smooth surface parking lot, and target what seem to be level parking spots.
  • Take floor-to-fender measurements accurate to 1/16" of all four corners.
  • Turn the car around in the exact same spot and do it all over again.
  • Rinse and repeat for two more parking spots.
Sure but it might be a while. I've had the springs in my garage for a couple of months and I haven't been able to find a free weekend to install it yet.
Old 06-23-2015, 11:20 AM
PeterChau

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is currently mine after being dropped on Eibach's. I also have the saggy back
Old 06-23-2015, 11:26 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by PeterChau

This is currently mine after being dropped on Eibach's. I also have the saggy back
Well, now you know what to do
Old 06-23-2015, 11:30 AM
botlfed98
Registered Member

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by ANMVQ
Agree with the above I had HR's and couldnt go anywhere with scrapping. I wanted a mild drop so went Swifts. at least for me and the X sedans the drop seems perfect.

yep HRs were horrible. I added the Energy Suspension bushing to bring up the rear and the ride was still just to rough for me. I'm on Swifts now which seem to be much better but far from that stock ride
Old 06-23-2015, 01:16 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Well, now you know what to do
Indeed. Lots of story-telling in my post, but at the end of it all you know exactly the 3/8" bushings to purchase, and exactly how to customize the upper-seats so that they fit.
Old 06-23-2015, 04:02 PM
jgronline

Maybe instead of "saggy bum", the post should be "How to increase rake angle" because your solution basically raises the rear and it is independent of wheels, springs, etc.
Old 06-23-2015, 04:53 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Maybe instead of "saggy bum", the post should be "How to increase rake angle" because your solution basically raises the rear and it is independent of wheels, springs, etc.
Nobody used the word "saggy" except PeterChau. So maybe I'll just leave it the way it is, as v2.0 continuity with the G35Driver thread.

Now get out there with your ruler and collect sample data of a 6MT Sedan on OEM springs.

Should take you all of 20 minutes for 24 measurements. You know, for posterity (no pun).
Old 06-24-2015, 01:48 AM
Furlow

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts
Epic post, Rochester.
The following users liked this post:
Rochester (06-24-2015)
Old 06-24-2015, 06:07 PM
lobuzz311
Registered Member

Received 97 Likes on 67 Posts
This thread (and your build thread, Rochester) are very interesting to me, as I plan on dropping my "new to me" G37S 6MT sedan Swift springs and would VERY much like the drop to be even. Let me rephrase, my OCD would VERY VERY much like the drop to be even.

So I went out and took some measurements in my garage & driveway, both of which I tested with a long level and they are both dead flat. I took measurements with an industrial grade laser measure, so it's accurate.

I assumed the tire pressures were fine until I was 2/3 of the way done with measuring, as I just picked up the car from the dealer a week ago and they set up the wheels / tires. I guess you know what the say about assuming... So 2 wheels at 34psi, one at 32.5, one at 33. I have a compressor line kit arriving Friday, so I can refill and remeasure. Also, I have a full tank of gas more or less, and I wasn't going to burn half a tank just for the measurements... So it's not exactly in line with your methodology, but it's a start...

Anyway, here is what I got:

In garage, facing in:
FR - 28.346
FL - 28.228
RR - 27.717
RL - 27.717

In garage, facing out:
FR - 28.425
FL - 28.150
RR - 27.835
RL - 27.835

In driveway, facing in:
FR - 28.386
FL - 28.425
RR - 27.913
RL - 27.874

In driveway, facing out:
FR - 28.386
FL - 28.346
RR - 27.992
RL - 27.953
The following users liked this post:
Rochester (06-24-2015)
Old 06-24-2015, 09:05 PM
jgronline

Another strategy would be to use the stock rear springs and cut the rear strut mount.

DIY: Cutting Rear Springmount aka "the springmount mod" - Page 17 - G35Driver

It would likely give you the same ride as you have with the stock springs and a more predictable rear drop. You can basically figure out the rake you want and then cut the mount accordingly.
Old 06-24-2015, 09:46 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by lobuzz311
So I went out and took some measurements in my garage & driveway, both of which I tested with a long level and they are both dead flat. I took measurements with an industrial grade laser measure, so it's accurate.
Well done, man. Very well done.

I'm going to assume FR (front right) means Front Passenger, and so on. If we plug those numbers into the same worksheet, for two flipped locations, we get these results:

...making the OEM setup approximately 28 3/8" front, 27 7/8" in the rear on the RWD 6MT Sedan. With a from-the-factory droopy bum of 0.5". It's just not something that's readily noticeable with the OEM height and tuck. (Obviously, I'm fuzzing the numbers into familiar 1/8" ticks.)

That doesn't mean the car isn't level from the factory... not at all. This is all about perception. By reducing the gap and poking the wheels flush with the fenders, the eye sees a line in the design that fools you in thinking the rear is *lower* than the front. By raising the car 1/2", you eliminate that visual trick, and introduce a gentle rake to how the car sits.

Last edited by Rochester; 06-25-2015 at 08:00 AM.
Old 06-24-2015, 09:47 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Another strategy would be to use the stock rear springs and cut the rear strut mount.

DIY: Cutting Rear Springmount aka "the springmount mod" - Page 17 - G35Driver

It would likely give you the same ride as you have with the stock springs and a more predictable rear drop. You can basically figure out the rake you want and then cut the mount accordingly.
If you inspect the top-seats, you'll see they aren't a uniform material of solid rubber. The cone section is much harder, almost feels like plastic. Similarly, on the bottom side, there is a only thin layer of rubber over another harder material just beneath the surface. Clearly there's a double-mold of compound materials here, making it a more complex design than a single mold of rubber. In other words, there's some purpose-driven engineering involved.

So yeah, you could cut the upper seats... but I wouldn't recommend it.

Last edited by Rochester; 06-25-2015 at 08:02 AM.

Quick Reply: Droopy Bum Fix for the G Sedan - Version 2.0