Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Traded in G37x for Q50 :)

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 12:10 AM
Yazovets

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Lightbulb Traded in G37x for Q50 :)

Good evening all, I have been on this forum for about 2 years or so. The other week I made the decision to trade in my former 2009 G37x for a 2014 Q50 AWD. I did it because my old G accrued rather high mileage, I was offered decent trade-in value on the G and after all, I really liked the Q50.

I have compiled a list of differences that I have noticed versus the G for those interested in an un-biased comparison of little "features" and "annoyances" that you wouldn't find in a car mag review.

This particular Q50 has the premium and navigation packages. I stayed away from the "deluxe touring" package because I didn't want that steer-by-wire system nor all those other gizmos that I know I would not use.

- The Q is shorter (heightwise) than the G but it's wider and slightly longer. The width gains are visible on the inside even though it's only like 1 or 2 inches officially. The wheelbase is identical.

- Brake pedal feel is improved over the G. In the Q it's nice a grabby at the start and linear feeling as you push in more.

- Engine is far quieter in the Q and I think most of that is coming from stronger front-end sound deadening around the firewall. If you drive around with your windows down then you can easily hear it.

- The 14-speaker Bose is a substantial improvement over the 10-speaker Bose in the G. I would say amplification is about 15% higher but the sound frequency separation to different speakers is fantastic and the overall quality and clarity of sound is much higher. It "sounds" much better to me in the Q and the Q does a much better job at delivering surround sound even from low-quality sources like satellite radio. I do find myself frequently re-adjusting the bass though. When I play from sources like Bluetooth audio or some CDs, I find I have to increase the bass to +1 or +2. With satellite radio you usually use bass at 0. Sometimes with some songs at lower volumes the bass is overboosted - I think that's a consequence of the NosePilot 2 feature which otherwise works wonders at making you hear the stereo when there's noise, high speed and/or open windows.

- The center arm-rest is further back in the Q so that's worse. However it's wider. I love the 2 USB ports inside though.

- The door panel arm-rest is at a much better and usable height on the Q.

- Rearward visibility is worse in the Q because the rear window is more slanted and the rear headrests are more visible. Front & sideways visibility are improved.

- The LED headlights are seriously awesome. The cutoff is sharper than on the G & the foglights are substantially better & brighter.

- The windshield on the Q seems to be longer (more surface area upwards). Unfortunately there is no tinted stripe at the top on the Q.

- The trunk closes FAR better on the Q than on the G. You don't need to shut it on the Q at all - gravity gently shuts it for you.

- The two front doors have sensors so that as soon as you touch the inner part of the door handle, it unlocks. That's how most Mercedes cars work and I find this to be more convenient than the button on the G's handles (which the Q still has too).

- The windshield washer sprays more misty on the Q - more useful at high speeds than the G's 6 spray streams.

- Front seats in the Q may be slightly smaller. Being a large man I actually found no problem. I do enjoy the bottom cushion of the Q's seats more for longer drives. Also the headrests in the Q are more supportive.

- Front heated seats in the Q have only 4 adjustment levels (including an Auto setting) versus 6 on the G.

- The steering wheel on the Q is heated.

- It takes far longer for all the infotainment controls and screens to "load" and/or be "usable" in the Q. The basic audio buttons become active first, then the climate control buttons, then nav and then everything else (both touchscreens). Overall I think it takes a total of 20-30 seconds for everything to come online and be responsive.

- The non-sport suspension on the Q has nothing to do with the non-sport suspension in the G. I can take turns just as fast in the Q and it doesn't exhibit any more body roll. However the Q has a fantastic way of absorbing vertical bumps and "floating" over the road much like the Mercedes E-Class does. It basically doesn't give you that "bite your tongue" vertical choppiness that the G does.

- Road noise is substantially lower in the Q cabin even at 100mph or higher.

- You feel the speed less in the Q than in the G. It's easier to accidentally speed.

- The 7-speed tranny shifts FAR smoother and FAR faster in the Q.

- The Q does not exhibit that throttle lag that the G would sometimes have.

- The tranny in the Q can be placed in Standard, Snow, Eco, Sport or Personal modes. This also completely changes the speed of tranny shifting, smoothness, throttle responsiveness, etc. The differences between these modes are substantial.

- The Q rolls on the road with inertia much more than the G. For example, if you let off the gas on a level road at 60mph, the Q will roll far further than the G (which tended to slow down immediately).

- Fuel economy in the city is the same between the Q and G. However I found a 10% improvement in fuel economy on the highway (no joke).

- The Q is so slippery in terms of aerodynamics that any water beads on your rear glass simply won't budge even at highway speeds.

- The entire build quality of the interior in the Q is miles ahead of the G in every possible way. Even pressing every single button on the dash or doors gives you a luxury feel. Infiniti must have spent time researching the tactile feel of all controls, levers, sticks, surfaces, etc.

- The instrument panel in the Q generally sits lower relative to the steering wheel by nearly an inch.

- The glovebox in the Q is smaller and less useful.

- The Q only has a single in-dash CD player versus 6 in the G.

- The steering (not the DAS one) of the Q is lighter in every situation versus the G and the turning circle is slightly larger in the Q.

- The side mirrors in the Q are larger & better shaped than the G. They also need less force to fold.

- The Q has a single large, sideways exhaust muffler versus dual smaller ones on the G.

- The rear doors on the Q require more force to close than on the G and they open up to a lesser angle.

- The air conditioning the Q somehow blows less ferociously at you than in the G. You get cooling in a more indirect way (which I like).

- It is much easier to adjust the headlights & foglights on the Q.

- The total trunk volume in the Q is equal to the G however the shape is somehow different. The Q's trunk is wider and deeper but the trunk floor is higher.

- My Q came with split folding rear seats combined with a middle armrest opening for skis. The G was never offered with split folding rear seats.

- The front seat belts on the Q come out of the pillar at a lower point than in the G.

- The light sensor on the Q is more sensitive and more responsive than in the Q. If the Q turns on its headlights at sunset, it won't immediately also dim your screens - that will happen when it's even darker so there are several stages of lighting inside.

- You can adjust the brightness, contrast, saturation, etc of both screens in the Q separately and you can also configure day/night options separately too. The instrument panel has the usual brightness adjustment too like the G had.

- The fuel door on the Q has a nice clicky mechanism which the G lacks. Fuel door is still on the right side.

- The rear brake lights and the front turn signals on the Q are much brighter.

- When you pair a phone to the Q via Bluetooth, you hear the caller SUBSTANTIALLY better and apparently the caller hears you much better too. The volume goes much higher and the clarity is superior. Unlike the G, your Bluetooth connection also does NOT have random hickups and dropped audio.

- The Q reads out your text messages which is awesome.

- The Q offers slightly better kneeroom for the rear passengers mainly due to the front seat shape.

- That little cubby hole with the door in front of the shifter stick is much larger and deeper in the Q.

- The sunglass holder near the sunroof controls is less deep in the Q so if you have sort of "fatter" sunglasses, they may not fit in the Q.

- The Q does not have a coin tray.

- The door panel cubby holes in the Q are larger and more usefully-shaped.

- There is more room between the door panel and the side of the front seat in the Q so you can actually adjust your power seat without squishing your hand like in the G.

- As long as you're in Standard or Sport mode on the transmission and manually shifting it, it is just as easy to break out the rear of the car during an aggressive turn or U-turn compared to the G.

- To engage Sport mode for the transmission (and throttle response), you do it with a new selector/rocker button near the shifter. If you simply knock the tranny shifter to the left, it still remains in whatever tranny mode you had selected with the button (e.g. Snow mode) but that instantly forces you into manual shifting mode.

- On the Q after you spray your windshield, it wipes, pauses 1 second and then does a final wipe.

- On the Q the high beams are a separate LED bulb in a reflector housing (no bi-xenon-like setup) so you truly get more lumens on the road from 4 bulbs if you turn your high beams on.

- On the Q the satellite radio artist and song info get fully displayed. On the G they would get truncated.

- The fuel economy meter algorithm on the Q is different. It really counts bad points against you when you idle - much more so than the G.

- The Q still has those useful 4 hooks in the trunk where you can tether objects.

- When you tap the turn signal stick on the Q, it makes your turn signals blink 3 times. I always wish the G had that.

- The A/C compressor in the Q is louder outside.

- So far this Q does not produce that "burnt" smell that many people have reported with the G.
The following 4 users liked this post by Yazovets:
blnewt (05-24-2015), codeflux (05-25-2015), twin_snails (05-25-2015), Vizard_87 (05-25-2015)
Old 05-24-2015, 01:01 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Wow, impressive comparison list you compiled, sounds like you're pretty happy w/ the move. Keep us posted how it continues over time.
Hopefully one area that really improved was the panel/glass isolation where the G becomes a rattle trap. Interested to see how quiet everything remains inside the cabin over time.

Thanks for putting this together
Old 05-24-2015, 07:57 AM
KEG97
Registered Member

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
WOW! You've done an excellent job on that list. Thanks!
Any pics of your Q50?
Old 05-25-2015, 04:36 PM
ryanwhite74115
Registered Member

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
Maybe it's because I have a 2013 G37 Sport (fully loaded), but half of the problems you listed with the G compared to the Q, I don't recall them happening on my car. Especially Bluetooth dropping (although pure sound could be louder...true). And I've never smelled something burning. Regardless, congrats.

Pics?
Old 05-25-2015, 04:41 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
That's a very impressive comparison, with uncommon attention to the detailed differences between the cars. Well done, OP. Curious how most of those observations were in the context of creature comforts, with few considerations towards automotive performance. Must be an AWD thing.

The only Q50 I ever drove was a Q50S when they first came out, and while the interior felt more luxurious and evolved, after getting back into my 6MT I immediately appreciated having the better driver's car.
Old 05-25-2015, 04:48 PM
00Max00

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
^^^ What Rochester said. I have not tried a Q50, but auto reviewers agree with that assessment.
Old 05-25-2015, 09:26 PM
beachbum718

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Nice trade in.I had a q50 for a week while they replaced an amp in my M37s.let's just say I was so happy when I got my car back.q50 is to small period. Shifter is too high.it's built for 5'5 Men and girls.I put the seat all the way back and still couldn't stretch my legs.the double screens are useless.the m37/q70 dominates it in every aspect. But then again.it's the highest model infiniti makes.guess I'm spoiled.to me the q50 in an accord with a faster engine.
Old 05-25-2015, 09:35 PM
Yosemite Dan

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
You should be a car reviewer. I would definately buy a car based on your input knowing that you didn't miss anything.

I had a Q for a couple of weeks as a loaner last year while my G was at the dealer and I didn't notice most of the things you critiqued. I had the steer by wire. The only things apparent to me was the Q definately had a smoother tranny and was flatter on cornering but the G trumped it on road feel and was more tossable which made the car much more playful and fun to drive and that's all I really care about. Looks wise I prefer the clean lines on the G. I just think the Q50's looks are disjointed but looks generic at the same time if that makes sense. There's no styling flow to it. It's a capable car and trumps the G in most creature comforts and is more comfortable, it's just not for me.

The only small thing I did notice was I hated the back up camara on the Q. It had the fish bowl type view that distorted things like many cars these days. Prefer the clearer view on the G. But I guess that's where the automatic braking on the Q comes in handy for parking.

Engine felt the same although the Q is missing that exhaust note. Power wise, both the G and the Q feel like a Corolla to me, but then again I have a 2013 Mustang GT with a few performance mods as my toy car so most cars feel like a Corolla to me in the HP department.
Old 05-25-2015, 10:20 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Received 174 Likes on 114 Posts
Yazo, great review and I appreciate your attention to the nuances and finer details that go unnoticed by a lot of reviews I've seen in the car reviews. But that's what comes from having a multi-year history of knowing all of the ins and outs of the G and how the Q compares.
Old 05-25-2015, 10:57 PM
Yazovets

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Thank you all - I will be posting pics later this week. I've been busy getting the Q tinted and putting in those Weathertech mats.

Absolutely the G remains a superior "driver's car" and I would not try to convince anyone otherwise. However I think what Infiniti did with the Q was actually cannibalize its own market of the bigger Q70/M. They created a new sedan which is best described as a luxury sedan.

I've spent lots of quality time with a 2011 Mercedes E550 4Matic and honestly I have to say that Infiniti accidentally achieved copying that Benz very well. It's a strange comparison, I know. But the Q really drives extremely similarly, the suspension behaves the same, the throttle and noises are the same, etc.