Need Help Putting Togethr an Akebono BBK

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 11:51 PM
Arrogant

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Need Help Putting Togethr an Akebono BBK

Hey guys, I need brakes asap and I was going to upgrade to akebono anyway, so why not do it now? So I was about to order the kits they have ready to go from tunerzstore but I want to make sure I was getting the components that would work best for m when buying that kit. Any help would be appreciated. Here are the requirements:

1. Pads most importantly no squeel, #2 be good quality and #3 produce minimal dust. I am considering Hawk Ceramics, other choices?

2. Rotors I want slotted, and the most important thing to me with them is that they dont rust very easily. I was considering the stoptech;s, but have heard they rust?

What else do I need to know / buy before getting these brakes? I would like to order them before the end of the weekend.
Old 05-16-2015, 12:11 AM
HoldmyMouse

Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts
Just get oem pads with slotted stoptech. You will get to get shorter banjo bolt and the dust shield will get to be trimmed to accommodate the larger rotor
Old 05-16-2015, 07:45 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Might check this thread, should save you a bit. Just scroll down to the update section
https://www.myg37.com/forums/brakes-...the-cheap.html
Old 05-16-2015, 10:27 AM
Redfire32
Ginger ninja

Received 257 Likes on 229 Posts
Brad your always so dang helpful bro. We need a moderator of the year award. You better step it up Black Betty lol. A free car detailing or something would suffice I think. Or perhaps the cost of the detailing could go towards the mod or mods of your choice. Maybe need to start a new thread on this.

Oh and the thoughtful member who started the idea should get a similar gift (just of slightly lesser value) lol

Last edited by Redfire32; 05-16-2015 at 12:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
blnewt (05-16-2015)
Old 05-16-2015, 12:20 PM
Arrogant

Blnewt I am confused so if I buy the new calipers from discount Infiniti parts they are the OEM akebonos? I then just source the other parts from rockauto?

Also holdmymouse I think the OEM pads are lousy and very noisy, I really want ceramic.
Old 05-16-2015, 02:15 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by Arrogant
Blnewt I am confused so if I buy the new calipers from discount Infiniti parts they are the OEM akebonos? I then just source the other parts from rockauto?

Also holdmymouse I think the OEM pads are lousy and very noisy, I really want ceramic.
Yes, the calipers are brand new Akebonos w/ the silver paint and Infiniti decals, just like you'd see on a showroom fresh S model. And then source the rest from Rockauto, just be sure you tell dicountinfinitiparts you're wanting the Akebono brakes, if you give them your VIN# they might ship you your OEM base calipers. Member "Intricate Detail" did that, luckily they got it straightened out without any additional cost to the member.
Old 05-16-2015, 02:39 PM
Arrogant

Wow, that is a huge discount. I am definitely going this way. My question to you is regarding the quality of the rotors and pads. Are the pads quiet? Do those rotors come in a slotted version? Do the rotors rust? What is the overall bite of these rotors and pads? I am willing to spend more in order to get what I want, so I don't have to go the cheapest route, but obviously price is always somewhat of a concern.
Old 05-16-2015, 04:05 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Wow, that is a huge discount. I am definitely going this way. My question to you is regarding the quality of the rotors and pads. Are the pads quiet? Do those rotors come in a slotted version? Do the rotors rust? What is the overall bite of these rotors and pads? I am willing to spend more in order to get what I want, so I don't have to go the cheapest route, but obviously price is always somewhat of a concern.
The Centric C-Teks are similar to OEM, the Centric Premiums have zinc coating and better venting, both rotors should perform well, especially compared to your current small brake setup. IMO I'd rather sacrifice dust for brake bite so I'm partial to Stoptech Street pads, great bite but dust more than OEM. The Centric Posi Quiet will be a decent street pad w/ little dust. You can get the Stoptech slottede rotors at rockauto and they're decent, but IMO blanks are best, and your new big brake calipers will still look awesome back there
You can spray your rotors w/ VHT flameproof paint, just mask off most of the pad contact area (with just a 1/4" of overlap) and also paint the outside thickness of the rotor. Once the pads brush away the extra paint they'll stay looking great for a long time.
Old 05-16-2015, 04:21 PM
dkmura
Registered Member

Received 78 Likes on 67 Posts
Since noise is the #1 priority in this swap, there's a design feature to be considered. Monoblock calipers like the Akebono BBK were designed for racing, where light brake pressure (which causes brake squeal) are not commonly used. But for the street, monoblock calipers tend to squeal NO MATTER what brake pad/disc combo are used. It's just a characteristic of that design, so don't get too upset if you experience some sqeal with your new brakes from time-to-time.
Old 05-16-2015, 04:40 PM
Arrogant

Well, I just ordered the calipers, 920 shipped. Blnewt, while you like blanks better than slotted, any opinion on brands that have slotted rotors? I have made up my mind that I want at least a little dress up, so I really want slotted. Do you think the stoptech's are the way to go, or are there other more random brands for slotted? Again, i just want rotors that dont rust, and are slotted.

How, do I figure out which rotors will work for Akebono on rockauto? Website sucks, straight out of 1999. Is there a certain size? It seems like 100 different rotors come up when i search for a 2012 with sport brakes. What is the difference in all of these rotors?

I was never aware that these big calipers make more noise, I guess I will sacrifice that piece of the noise, but I still would like quiet pads. The oem pads I have started sqeeling 6 months ago, and they were not even due to be changed yet. Now, the sound is horrible, and I need to change them ASAP.

So much going on with my car, just got the carpet replaced (long story, dealer sorta screwed **** up) and I recently got the sport pedals.

After this brake swap all I need are illuminated sills, fortune 500's, spacers, and hid swap for my fogs. Then I will be all set....until i sell the car in Dec-Jun, and hopefully trade up for public transportation!!!!
Old 05-16-2015, 07:17 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Well, I just ordered the calipers, 920 shipped. Blnewt, while you like blanks better than slotted, any opinion on brands that have slotted rotors? I have made up my mind that I want at least a little dress up, so I really want slotted. Do you think the stoptech's are the way to go, or are there other more random brands for slotted? Again, i just want rotors that dont rust, and are slotted.

How, do I figure out which rotors will work for Akebono on rockauto? Website sucks, straight out of 1999. Is there a certain size? It seems like 100 different rotors come up when i search for a 2012 with sport brakes. What is the difference in all of these rotors?

I was never aware that these big calipers make more noise, I guess I will sacrifice that piece of the noise, but I still would like quiet pads. The oem pads I have started sqeeling 6 months ago, and they were not even due to be changed yet. Now, the sound is horrible, and I need to change them ASAP.

So much going on with my car, just got the carpet replaced (long story, dealer sorta screwed **** up) and I recently got the sport pedals.

After this brake swap all I need are illuminated sills, fortune 500's, spacers, and hid swap for my fogs. Then I will be all set....until i sell the car in Dec-Jun, and hopefully trade up for public transportation!!!!
Yeah, rockauto website is a bit clumsy to navigate but at least you can see every possible brake part known to man, lol.
When you order parts for the brakes just be SURE to click on the ones that say front 355mm rotors, this will insure you are getting S brake parts and not the smaller floating calipers.
As far as slotted and non-rusting, if you go the route w/ the VHT Flameproof paint you can pretty much use any rotor and get a decent rust free look as long as you prep them well prior to painting.
The Powerstop kit will probably fit the bill, the part # is K4138 they're cross drilled & slotted and come complete w/ 4 rotors and pads for $412.79, make sure you follow this procedure
http://www.rockauto.com/info/PowerSt...reakInProc.pdf

And the stoptech slotted~
rear left~12642101SL $80.99
rear right~12642101SR $80.99
front left~12642100SL $106.89
Front right~12642100SR $106.89
Then choose pads based on the 355mm front rotor

As far as fixed calipers and noise, yep dkmura speaks the truth. Be sure to apply CRC caliper grease or equivalent to all the metal on metal moving parts and behind the pad backing plates and the squeaking should be eliminated or at least minimized.
BTW, $920 shipped sounds pretty high, or did you get expedited shipping? Another guy that just did this got them for $825 shipped.
Old 05-16-2015, 07:20 PM
bigmike35nj

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Try to send them a email and let them know you wanted free shipping. I also ordered my set this past Monday. When you click on shipping options you should see free shipping at the bottom. I paid 836 shipped from discount Infiniti.
Old 05-16-2015, 07:36 PM
Arrogant

Damn, thanks guys, I emailed them and hopefully it works out. Quick question the area between teh rotor and the wheel, is that part of the rotor, or the hub? I know noting about cars, but that area is rusted to hell. If its the hub do I need to replace it? If so how much is that, and is there a better aftermarket one that wont rust?

Last edited by Arrogant; 05-16-2015 at 08:26 PM.
Old 05-16-2015, 09:01 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Damn, thanks guys, I emailed them and hopefully it works out. Quick question the area between teh rotor and the wheel, is that part of the rotor, or the hub? I know noting about cars, but that area is rusted to hell. If its the hub do I need to replace it? If so how much is that, and is there a better aftermarket one that wont rust?
The area that you see all rusted behind the wheel is the front part of the rotor often called "the hat". This rusts because they get hot and even zinc coated steel breaks down over time to allow rust to appear. If you paint the whole rotor except for most of the pad contact area w/ this
VHT FlameProof? Coating you'll end up w/ a much nicer looking rotor for a much longer time frame. This even holds up for bedding your brakes FWIW.

And bigmike35nj was "the guy" I was referring to, lol.
The following users liked this post:
bigmike35nj (05-16-2015)
Old 05-17-2015, 07:11 PM
Arrogant

Well, I just pulled the trigger at rockauto. I wanted to read about other rotors more, but the brakes are squeeling like hell and its embarrassing. I ended up just getting the stoptech slotteds but I decided on Akebono ceramic's for the pads, I just for some reason have always had it in my head that ceramic = quiet. I also ordered the stainless steel brake-lines, and the hardware kits. I used the 5% coupon as well.

So final questions, should I get brake fluid changed? Can I get this Motul from a local place or should I have ordered it? How many banjo bolts do i need, and I can get them from Napa? Should I buy caliper grease or do most mechanics have this? Where do I get that VHM paint? Napa have that too?

Quick Reply: Need Help Putting Togethr an Akebono BBK