Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Transmission Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 12:40 PM
empirepb48

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Transmission Fluid

Long time lurker of Myg37 but finally made an account as I finally needed to ask a question I couldn't find an answer for.

My 2011 G37x is at the dealership right now for the transmission fluid to be changed. The car has 20,000 on it so I know it has the factory fluid. My question is, is there a way to actually figure out if they completed the service? Is there a factory seal that must be broken on the drain plug or the location at which they put the new fluid in at?

I guess I have some trust issues but it's one of those things that could easily go unnoticed. Thanks guys!

EDIT: 4/23/15 So I figured I should add this to the first post to change the direction of the thread since I've had great results so far. 2 days have passed since the transmission fluid was changed. Shifts are so much better to the point where I'm questioning if the tech did the TSB software update without saying anything.

EDIT: 4/28/15 Conclusion

Well guys in summary to this whole experience I can't recommend the trans fluid replacement as a fix for what I was looking for. Most of you probably fit into this category but that being said I would recommend it to those who:

A. Need it changed out as for a maintenance interval which seems to be around 60xxx to 80xxxx miles.

B. Those overkill folks like myself wanting to rid the transmission of break in particles and a slight increase in smoothing out the shifts.

The shifts being smoother overall is nice but still not a fix to the quirky ECU especially during spirited driving. This could also be due to driving like grandma 70% of the time and then asking it to go into teenage race mode. My next step from here is a few more air distribution upgrades then off to a tune at R/T tuning in hopes of getting the car to drive like I want. I've been eying up the motordyne intake manifold and some HFC's the rest will remain bone stock.

Last edited by empirepb48; 04-28-2015 at 07:56 PM.
Old 04-21-2015, 01:40 PM
Falker11
Premier Member

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by empirepb48
Long time lurker of Myg37 but finally made an account as I finally needed to ask a question I couldn't find an answer for.

My 2011 G37x is at the dealership right now for the transmission fluid to be changed. The car has 20,000 on it so I know it has the factory fluid. My question is, is there a way to actually figure out if they completed the service? Is there a factory seal that must be broken on the drain plug or the location at which they put the new fluid in at?

I guess I have some trust issues but it's one of those things that could easily go unnoticed. Thanks guys!
I drive 6MT but I thought the 7AT system never needed routine maintenance?
Were you having some kind of issue with your transmission that necessitated a fluid flush and refill?
Old 04-21-2015, 01:43 PM
Limmerbr

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have an 09 G37x with 55k miles and never needed to change tranny fluid.

My dealer says it never needs to be changed.

The differential fluid should be changed at 75k miles.

Are you sure its not the diff.

Either way this service should not be happening with so little miles.
Old 04-21-2015, 02:14 PM
empirepb48

Originally Posted by Falker11
Were you having some kind of issue with your transmission that necessitated a fluid flush and refill?
Originally Posted by Limmerbr
I have an 09 G37x with 55k miles and never needed to change tranny fluid.

My dealer says it never needs to be changed.

The differential fluid should be changed at 75k miles.

Are you sure its not the diff.

Either way this service should not be happening with so little miles.
It wasn't a recommendation from the dealership. I wanted it done to make sure any break in particles got out of there. I changed the differentials myself at 15,000 and the fluid was dark and the magnetic drain plugs were covered in shavings from break in. The trans fluid has a "lifetime fill" which is nonsense.
Old 04-21-2015, 02:15 PM
empirepb48

Originally Posted by Falker11
The same lag everyone else seems to have. I was taking a shot at seeing if this could alleviate any issues.
Old 04-21-2015, 06:13 PM
Flakman
Registered Member

Received 81 Likes on 69 Posts
The same lag everyone else seems to have. I was taking a shot at seeing if this could alleviate any issues.
That lag should be dealt with by TSBs and grounding kit first. Grounding kit would have been much cheaper and easiest to deal with. Most would suggest that if you do get the transmission fluid changed it would be around 75k to 100k. Almost all tranny lag issues in the forums have had the TSB and grounding kit as primary solutions.
Old 04-21-2015, 09:59 PM
empirepb48

Originally Posted by Flakman
That lag should be dealt with by TSBs and grounding kit first. Grounding kit would have been much cheaper and easiest to deal with. Most would suggest that if you do get the transmission fluid changed it would be around 75k to 100k. Almost all tranny lag issues in the forums have had the TSB and grounding kit as primary solutions.
I do indeed have the grounding kit made up and installed but just wasn't enough for me. Anyway the fluid is now changed out as of today. I asked for them to check for an update and said none existed so I didn't push the subject. So far the car feels great but most likely due to the ECU being reset and a recent throttle body and MAF cleaning. I will give an update after about a week to report if it returned to its old ways.
Old 04-21-2015, 11:48 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
I do indeed have the grounding kit made up and installed but just wasn't enough for me. Anyway the fluid is now changed out as of today. I asked for them to check for an update and said none existed so I didn't push the subject. So far the car feels great but most likely due to the ECU being reset and a recent throttle body and MAF cleaning. I will give an update after about a week to report if it returned to its old ways.
Oh well, at least you won't have to worry about your ATF for another 80k miles. How much did they charge if you don't mind me asking?
Old 04-22-2015, 01:55 AM
Flakman
Registered Member

Received 81 Likes on 69 Posts
Glad to hear you covered the bases. I too would be curious about the cost. I'm running up to 100k and am gonna have to bit that bullet soon.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:02 AM
empirepb48

Originally Posted by blnewt
Oh well, at least you won't have to worry about your ATF for another 80k miles. How much did they charge if you don't mind me asking?
Originally Posted by Flakman
Glad to hear you covered the bases. I too would be curious about the cost. I'm running up to 100k and am gonna have to bit that bullet soon.
Approximately $215, about $100 in synthetic ATF, $30 flush kit and the rest in labor and tax. Car ran like a top this morning trying not to get my hopes up until at least a week passes. Anyone know if a factory filled transmission from 2011 uses a synthetic blend or pure synthetic?
The following users liked this post:
blnewt (04-22-2015)
Old 04-22-2015, 02:56 PM
CaliG37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Approximately $215, about $100 in synthetic ATF, $30 flush kit and the rest in labor and tax. Car ran like a top this morning trying not to get my hopes up until at least a week passes. Anyone know if a factory filled transmission from 2011 uses a synthetic blend or pure synthetic?
The Fluid should be Nissan Matic-S fluid. I have drained & filled mine 2x since I got it with 40k last year. Changed at 42k, 48k and again at 60k. The reason I changed it was to see if it would help with the shifting as I was having a hesitation on 2-3 shift and sometimes 3-2 downshift. It seemed to help with the hesitation on shifting.

Here's the service bulletin addressing fluid discoloration
http://www.infinitig37.com/TSB/ITB11-036.pdf
The following users liked this post:
empirepb48 (04-23-2015)
Old 04-22-2015, 03:18 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by CaliG37
The Fluid should be Nissan Matic-S fluid. I have drained & filled mine 2x since I got it with 40k last year. Changed at 42k, 48k and again at 60k. The reason I changed it was to see if it would help with the shifting as I was having a hesitation on 2-3 shift and sometimes 3-2 downshift. It seemed to help with the hesitation on shifting.

Interesting TSB, basically bringing attention to something that doesn't require attention
Old 04-22-2015, 05:04 PM
empirepb48

Originally Posted by CaliG37

Originally Posted by blnewt
Interesting TSB, basically bringing attention to something that doesn't require attention
Wow awesome find. I'd rather have the the ATF on the left in that picture that's for sure. Drive home today was smooth as butter.

I also want to add that I did the transfer case when I completed the front and rear differentials. The ATF in the transfer case was nowhere near as dark as what's pictured there. That's also based on the assumption that it was still the factory fluid. I'm the 2nd owner so I can't confirm that hence why I wanted a fresh start on all my fluids.

Last edited by empirepb48; 04-22-2015 at 05:10 PM.
Old 04-22-2015, 05:39 PM
staskz
Registered Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
update us on the feel. I have an 09 and i feel the same way as you, that if you do not do it youre doomed for tranny failure at some point. i do not get how the tranny oil doesnt need to be changed????
Old 04-23-2015, 12:11 PM
empirepb48

Originally Posted by staskz
update us on the feel. I have an 09 and i feel the same way as you, that if you do not do it youre doomed for tranny failure at some point. i do not get how the tranny oil doesnt need to be changed????
Still feels great as of this morning. I drive up a hill every morning and I constrained the RPM's to about 1500-2000 to simulate the rough/heavy shifting I would usually get. It didn't happen, I can say that it felt just as good as the Q50 loaner I had and that's been my reference all along. I wanted it to shift and feel as good as the Q50. Keeping fingers crossed the ECU doesn't start changing things.

(added to original post)
EDIT: 4/23/15 So I figured I should add this to the first post to change the direction of the thread since I've had great results so far. 2 days have passed since the transmission fluid was changed. Shifts are so much better to the point where I'm questioning if the tech did the TSB software update without saying anything.

Quick Reply: Transmission Fluid