Need help with rear Fortune Auto 500 shock/spring install

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 09:02 AM
LilRocket

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by jsampsell
So the replacement 8" springs came in on Tuesday but I couldn't swap them out until yesterday afternoon/evening. I am much happier having some room to adjust up and still have what I think is a safe amount of spring on the upper mount. For me, the 8" springs were definitely the right choice.

Since I wanted to bring the car up about .25 to .50 inch higher, I adjusted the upper mount up by 8 full turns (or .50 inch). So the springs raised me by an inch and then I lowered by .50 inch. That gave me a .50 inch lift from where they were sitting previously. I should have taken a picture before I did this just to update the thread but the 7" springs ended up settling a good bit. That's why I went up .50 inch. They should settle down to just about where I wanted to end up to begin with. I'll take a picture today at some point and update this post to show the new ride height.

I didn't have the time to install the extenders yesterday so I'll have to pull the shock at least one more time to do that, but even though I think the price is a bit much for what they are, the extenders are going to be well worth not having to take the shocks out every time I need/want to adjust them.

Also, I found out what the clacking noise was that was coming from my right rear. The top spring mount locking nut was loose. Once I tightened it up after adjusting it, the sound went away. Thankfully!!!
Can you comment on your extenders installation. I'm having a shop install my coils today. Where did you locate them and did you route them there?
Old 04-24-2015, 09:03 AM
jsampsell

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by LilRocket
Can you comment on your extenders installation. I'm having a shop install my coils today. Where did you locate them and did you route them there?
I haven't installed them yet. So I'm interested in the answers to those same questions. Ha!
Old 04-24-2015, 04:32 PM
LilRocket

I haven't installed them yet. So I'm interested in the answers to those same questions. Ha!
man i was hoping you had already my mechanic is trying to figure out how to get them through the rear seats but hasnt seen how. i showed him a link of someone who installed different coils and removed the seats to get access to where the struts mount under the car frame..this guy drilled a hole to get access to it but didnt install extenders

Last edited by LilRocket; 04-24-2015 at 04:51 PM.
Old 04-25-2015, 11:55 PM
LilRocket

so yea the extenders were installed by drilling a hole on the frame where the rear shocks mount. the seats need to be removed to gain access and install the rear extenders. I had them poke out in between the rear seats and the rear panel. They both are bendable enough to position against the rear window and not very much noticeable unless you stick your head back there...super convenient to get these install if you plan on messing with your settings
The following 2 users liked this post by LilRocket:
jsampsell (04-27-2015), skipmycar (02-29-2024)
Old 04-27-2015, 12:37 PM
jsampsell

Originally Posted by LilRocket
so yea the extenders were installed by drilling a hole on the frame where the rear shocks mount. the seats need to be removed to gain access and install the rear extenders. I had them poke out in between the rear seats and the rear panel. They both are bendable enough to position against the rear window and not very much noticeable unless you stick your head back there...super convenient to get these install if you plan on messing with your settings
Thanks for the info! This will help when I go to do it myself.
Old 04-29-2015, 09:07 AM
jsampsell

So I'm a little embarrassed to admit this but I thought it would be beneficial to post anyway. The major source of the right rear noise in my car was a loose spare tire. There is still "tight suspension" squeaks and creaks but that might be solved by either greasing or replacing some bushings.

In the end, my experience with this has been a little too frustrating so I am going to be going back to stock suspension and selling this setup. The ride is great so it's not about functionality. For me, I spent too much money on this to put up with constant noises. I could chase the noises with the greasing and bushing replacements but I'm not going to. I've reached my "done" point with this.

It won't be right away as I'm going out of town this weekend with my son for a father/son camp, but you'll see me post these for sale in the classified section in the next week or two. Along with the front SPC camber kit. I think the rear camber kit has to stay on since the bolt hole was extended.

Anyhow, I know plenty of guys have these coils and really like them. I actually like the ride and the look. I'm just weird about noises so please don't judge my choice to sell them based on the quality of the product.

Jeremy
Old 04-29-2015, 09:14 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
So I'm a little embarrassed to admit this but I thought it would be beneficial to post anyway. The major source of the right rear noise in my car was a loose spare tire. There is still "tight suspension" squeaks and creaks but that might be solved by either greasing or replacing some bushings.

In the end, my experience with this has been a little too frustrating so I am going to be going back to stock suspension and selling this setup. The ride is great so it's not about functionality. For me, I spent too much money on this to put up with constant noises. I could chase the noises with the greasing and bushing replacements but I'm not going to. I've reached my "done" point with this.

It won't be right away as I'm going out of town this weekend with my son for a father/son camp, but you'll see me post these for sale in the classified section in the next week or two. Along with the front SPC camber kit. I think the rear camber kit has to stay on since the bolt hole was extended.

Anyhow, I know plenty of guys have these coils and really like them. I actually like the ride and the look. I'm just weird about noises so please don't judge my choice to sell them based on the quality of the product.

Jeremy
Sorry to hear that but I understand.
As far as the rear camber kit, you CAN go back to OEM, the OEM toe bolt will still reside in the middle portion of the slot (the concentric mount washer is still the same diameter) it just wont extend out to the edges of the slot like the SPC bolt would sinc ethe OEM bolt isn't mounted as far off-center in the washer. Hope that makes sense.
The following users liked this post:
jsampsell (04-29-2015)
Old 04-29-2015, 10:10 AM
jsampsell

Originally Posted by blnewt
Sorry to hear that but I understand.
As far as the rear camber kit, you CAN go back to OEM, the OEM toe bolt will still reside in the middle portion of the slot (the concentric mount washer is still the same diameter) it just wont extend out to the edges of the slot like the SPC bolt would sinc ethe OEM bolt isn't mounted as far off-center in the washer. Hope that makes sense.
Great news. Thanks for the info!
Old 04-29-2015, 05:28 PM
Upscale Speed
Premier Member

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
Sorry to hear that. Noises aren't a big deal to me and mine are very mild and barely audible. We all have pet peeves. Mine is food in my car or smoking ever. Will NOT allow it.
The following users liked this post:
jsampsell (04-30-2015)
Old 04-29-2015, 07:33 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Seems bizarre that it's almost always that passenger side rear coilover that creates so many issues w/ almost all the brands
Old 11-14-2015, 06:14 PM
fengyink

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I believe you already had the answer. Get 8" spring if you currently have 7", and keep its rate with in 2k compared with the front. These will be another few hundred including labor, but seems no better solution exists.

Thanks blnewt. We are aware of the how. My apologies if I wasn't specific about that. What was strange was that no matter what we did for adjustment combinations, the height when lowered to the ground was always too low. It barely changed. In the end, we determined that the springs were just too short. We ended up having to cut the cone off of the cone shaped upper spring bumper to get the additional height we needed. The max height this specific setup let us go was still too low. Which has been contrary to everything I've read here on the forum of other X sedan owners on coilovers. I have a company truck to use for the weekend so it's parked until I can call Fortune Auto on Monday. The way the FA top spring mount is designed is to fit snug up inside the hole where the upper spring bumper fit so having to use the cut OE spring bumper means that the top of the spring mount, under the right conditions, could shift and eventually pop out. That would NOT be good. I'm going to call FA first and see if they have any input but I'm also going to have the alignment tech look at that spring setup and give me his professional opinion. My buddy who helped me and I have worked on cars for years doing just about everything you can think of. Even coilovers and springs. So we aren't complete noobs at this stuff. That just makes it that much more frustrating. Oh well. I'm going to bed. Sometimes a good break makes a big difference in how you view things after you've been working on something as long as we have today. Maybe we'll figure it out tomorrow and I don't have to call FA. Who knows.

Thanks again to everyone who had replied so far. It is really great to be a part of this community.

Jeremy