Sponsored by:

2012 g37xs or tl shawd

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 06:13 PM
Heracles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 g37xs or tl shawd

Hi guys.
I was leaning towards a 2012 and up g37xs I found for 30k and 15k miles bc I wanted the extra performance over the tl shawd.

I was watching a YouTube video of an owner basically trashing the g37 Xs transmission saying it shifted horrible, confused between gears, etc..

I just wanted some input, do you recommend a g37xs…, or should I lean towards the tl shawd?

I can also wait longer and spend a little more 38000 for a used 335xdrive Msport... But honestly I want to keep the car a long time and do t want the headaches of maintenance on a BMW.
Old 12-18-2014, 06:56 PM
Neddy_G37

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
STAY AWAY FROM BMW! Cant stress that enough!

I have the 5 speed auto in my 08 G and love it! Sure it gets confused sometimes but thats what the manual mode is for. The 09+ models have the 7 speed and its the same thing. If the trans does not do what you want, throw it in manual mode and let er rip!

Otherwise, get your butt off the computer, drive to where these cars are, and drive them yourself. Internet research is great but nothing, literally NOTHING beats a test drive. So, yeah, do that.
Old 12-18-2014, 07:36 PM
Heracles

Originally Posted by Neddy_G37
STAY AWAY FROM BMW! Cant stress that enough!

I have the 5 speed auto in my 08 G and love it! Sure it gets confused sometimes but thats what the manual mode is for. The 09+ models have the 7 speed and its the same thing. If the trans does not do what you want, throw it in manual mode and let er rip!

Otherwise, get your butt off the computer, drive to where these cars are, and drive them yourself. Internet research is great but nothing, literally NOTHING beats a test drive. So, yeah, do that.
you are right neddy. I drove the tl shawd, like it. Felt "fast" enough for me. Im interested in a good awd sports sedan, reliable, etc.. live in ne pa

Havent driven the G37.. its interesting it seems everyone know what it means about "confused transmission"

Whats the deal with that? From what i understand its a quick shifting transmission but bounces around gears alot? Heard its clunky too?
Old 12-18-2014, 07:50 PM
Heracles

Im not a fan of it in red, but I kind of like this one with the rear spoiler. Is the price decent?

Cars for Sale: 2012 Infiniti G37 x in Maple Shade, NJ 08052: Sedan Details - 383001828 - AutoTrader.com
Old 12-18-2014, 07:59 PM
situasian

i test drove both before choosing my car and i chose the G
Old 12-18-2014, 09:00 PM
G37Xtreme

Received 103 Likes on 78 Posts
$30k seems high to me. I think you can knock $5k off as a starting point. $22k would be a steal depending on options.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:25 PM
Heracles

So tell me guys why the G over the TL? Is it because how much faster and more fun the G is to drive?
Im only looking at G37Xs sedans. Does it feel like a rwd and only activates awd in bad weather?

Hows refinement? Is the G quiet on the highway (no wind noise/refined interior)?
Old 12-18-2014, 11:50 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
"tl shawd"

Why couldn't you put the space where it belongs so you don't confuse people like me???

I had to Google it to learn it's "TL SH AWD". Sheesh.
Old 12-19-2014, 12:29 AM
G37Xtreme

Originally Posted by Heracles
So tell me guys why the G over the TL? Is it because how much faster and more fun the G is to drive?
Im only looking at G37Xs sedans. Does it feel like a rwd and only activates awd in bad weather?

Hows refinement? Is the G quiet on the highway (no wind noise/refined interior)?
The Infiniti is rwd by nature. It can send 0 percent power to the front if there's no slippage.

The Acura is fwd by nature. I've read that it can send as much as 70 percent to the rear if there's slippage (you need to check this fact). I don't know how the Acura behaves if there's good traction, I assume fwd predominantly, but you'll have to research this as well.

Here's a vocabulary word for you about the Infiniti awd: "attesa"

Start there and read up on it.
Old 12-19-2014, 01:38 AM
devil2k
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Depends on what you're after:

BMW 335i xDrive
This is the fastest, most prestigious and tune-able out of the three, but the least reliable. The turbo has minimal lag and sounds pretty nice when lifting off. Its AWD system is tuned to be around 40% front and 60% rear, and therefore not as tail happy as the G, and I personally think it's too stable. I'd recommend this if you want to drop some panties. I'd buy a BMW, just not one with xDrive.

Acura TL SH-AWD
Most reliable of the three, but the slowest. It is probably the easiest to drive thanks to its SH-AWD that can transfer torque between left and right wheels. However, it tends to plow more because SH-AWD is heavily front-wheel biased, and I find it to be the most boring one out of the three. I personally wouldn't pay that much money for a FWD-based sports car wannabe. The interior on the other hand, is top notch. This is the type of vehicle I'd recommend my parents to buy. I would never own an Acura myself unless they change the SH-AWD setup. This is also why I'd prefer my G37x over CLA45 AMG and low end Audi.

Infiniti G37xS
Not as fast or prestigious as the BMW, and not as reliable or fancy on the inside as the Acura. However, in terms of pure driving pleasure and best bang for the buck, this is the one. It handles like a RWD most of the time, but provides AWD traction when required. I live in snow country and I always drive without vehicle dynamic control. Winter driving has never been so much fun. I had my friend's BMW x3 30i with the ///M package for two weeks, and I find the AWD system way too stable for my liking, even with stability control completely turned off.

Last edited by devil2k; 12-19-2014 at 01:44 AM.
Old 12-19-2014, 07:21 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
Did we really need another G37 vs TL thread when we already have an active discussion here: https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...-acura-tl.html

If I absolutely, positively, had to have AWD, I'd get the TL SH-AWD if only because of the available 6MT.

I also suspect the TL is going to handle better....

G35xS .84g
http://media.caranddriver.com/files/...niti-g35xs.pdf

TL SH-AWD .92g, and .88g

http://media.caranddriver.com/files/...ns-chassis.pdf

http://media.caranddriver.com/files/...test-sheet.pdf

Motor Trend .90g vs .85; 26.1 @ .78 vs 26.8 @.66; virtually identical 0-60, 5.3 and 5.4 seconds....virtually identical quarter mile times. I'm not seeing the G37x having any real advantage over the SH-AWD

2009 Infiniti G37x S Sedan - First Test - Motor Trend Page 2

2012 Acura TL SH-AWD First Test - Motor Trend Page 3
Old 12-19-2014, 07:55 AM
Heracles

thanks fir feedback , im going to go test drive a 2012 g37x by me, there is no sport by me though.
Old 12-19-2014, 08:32 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

There shouldn't be any significant difference, the S package on the X sedan is mostly an appearance package. It doesn't get the stiffer suspension, 4/2 piston brakes, or faster ratio steering. IDK if it gets the rear LSD or not.....
Old 12-19-2014, 09:06 AM
G37Xtreme

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
There shouldn't be any significant difference, the S package on the X sedan is mostly an appearance package. It doesn't get the stiffer suspension, 4/2 piston brakes, or faster ratio steering. IDK if it gets the rear LSD or not.....
Considering all the omissions, is it priced accordingly?
Old 12-19-2014, 09:19 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Originally Posted by G37Xtreme
Considering all the omissions, is it priced accordingly?
Probably. I think the sport bumper looks better. I prefer the more heavily bolstered sport sests. The paddle shifters are probably nice, and the 18" wheels IMO look better

It's a shame that the xS coupe gets all the hardware goodies but the sedan doesn't.

Quick Reply: 2012 g37xs or tl shawd