Sponsored by:

2011 G37 compared to 2009 Acura tl

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 09:21 PM
NewbietoG37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by STownSaint
Proofs in the pudding

i prefer the newier looking tl. That nose on the car can easily be plastic dipped or even matched to the paint color. Simple fix. I did notice today on the TL the VSA went off.
Old 12-11-2014, 07:00 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by NewbietoG37
The have a 2010 g37x with like 32k miles for 21500. Not a big fan of the color but it has the warranty and transmission. Lifetime

2010 Infiniti G37 Sedan for sale in Rocky Mount - JN1CV6AR2AM459090 - Davenport Honda
You're really caught up on this lifetime warranty thing.

It's a gimmick. They will make so much money on you returning there for your oil changes that on the 0.0001% chance you need warranty work, they will still be ahead. It's just lubricated parts, and the list of legal disclaimers is probably a mile long.
Old 12-11-2014, 08:32 AM
G37Xtreme

Received 103 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
You're really caught up on this lifetime warranty thing.

It's a gimmick. They will make so much money on you returning there for your oil changes that on the 0.0001% chance you need warranty work, they will still be ahead. It's just lubricated parts, and the list of legal disclaimers is probably a mile long.
I tend to agree, but remember what happened to Black Betty. A lifetime warranty isn't necessarily a bad thing...unless of course, you plan to do lots of engine mods. Then, you'll void that damn thing so fast...

To the OP...I'd suggest you get the 2010 G37x with lifetime warranty. 32K miles and $21,500 isn't a bad price at all, and the warranty is extra icing on the cake.
What color is it BTW?
Old 12-11-2014, 08:40 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Originally Posted by G37Xtreme
I tend to agree, but remember what happened to Black Betty. A lifetime warranty isn't necessarily a bad thing...unless of course, you plan to do lots of engine mods. Then, you'll void that damn thing so fast...
It's going to depend on the wording of the warranty. The OP said lubricated parts. Is a gasket considered a lubricated part?
Old 12-11-2014, 11:22 AM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
^ and to maintain that "limited lifetime warranty" the OP probably has to get all servicing done at the dealer. they can do this since the warranty is a private warranty, not backed by the manufacturer who cannot legally get away with the same restrictions. i would tread very cautiously when signing on for a "deal" like a private warranty.

that '03-'08 Acura TL is very well regarded by automotive publications for being the sweet spot for the TL range. good looks and and overall performance and value. i agree with STtownSaint with trying to locate an '08 Type S if the OP is set on a TL. the TL slushbox is problem prone so look for a 6MT!

from a driving dynamics standpoint, the G is still the better buy. plus, the interior and finishes are decent so it's not like the TL is leaps and bounds better there. the OP needs to decide what his priorities are and then focus his search on finding the exact color and options he wants, forget about the warranty BS. remember, the G comes with a 6-year powertrain warranty so a 2011 should have ~2 years or more remaining on the factory warranty.
Old 12-11-2014, 01:28 PM
G37Xtreme

It's going to depend on the wording of the warranty. The OP said lubricated parts. Is a gasket considered a lubricated part?
Not sure, but the main point I was making is that $21,500 is not a bad price for the 32K mile 2010 G37x...so with or without a lifetime warranty, that's not a price I would balk at. Maybe they have a little room to move, I'd surely try negotiating...but if they stood firm, the price is still solid IMHO.
Old 12-13-2014, 11:59 AM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 233 Likes on 195 Posts
FWD and the grill that looks like it belongs on the MDX kill it for me...

Acuras also have an overly 'busy' interior for my taste; the layout doesn't seem to map well to the way I think. Personal preference I guess.

The SH-AWD version is better, but the car is inherently FWD (just look at the nose), so us RWD snobs would rarely put the two cars on the same short list (more than often we are comparing the RWD Bavarian makes to the G).

On the upside, I think the Acura is built a little 'tighter' than our G, so I'm guessing if you look on the Acura forums, you will find fewer 'rattle exorcism' threads than you would find here :-) Resale is also pretty good for the Acura.

If the FWD aspect doesn't bother you, both are reliable, nice cars. You can't go wrong with either.
Old 12-13-2014, 08:01 PM
TimCC23

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A fair amount of misinformation above...

I closely looked at both cars and bought a G37x about a year ago.

The G37 has a bigger engine, is faster, handles much better, I think has a more comfortable ride, and the exterior looks much better (I know subjective).

The TL (non SH-AWD) did not impress me at all. The interior may be nicer and have more amenities based on trim (cooled seats, blind spot monitoring), but the driving experience is worse. It's not even a comfortable ride. Average handling with a jittery uncomfortable ride. There is not noticeably less road noise compared to the G37. The trunk is smaller and oddly shaped and for the TL being much longer, the back seat is minimally larger than the G.

The G37 is much sportier and I truly did not see a reason to get the TL. Both will be extremely reliable compared to their German counterparts.
Old 12-15-2014, 08:46 PM
Magowin

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
But it doesn't, so IDK what your point is

I cant think of a single sports car that comes with all season tires......
The XS Coupe comes with summer tires so I would consider it a sports car but it is a pig I only weigh 150lbs and car with 1/4 tank of gas still weighed in at 3995lbs at the track scale.
Old 12-16-2014, 07:08 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Originally Posted by TimCC23
A fair amount of misinformation above...

I closely looked at both cars and bought a G37x about a year ago.

The G37 has a bigger engine, is faster, handles much better, I think has a more comfortable ride, and the exterior looks much better (I know subjective).

The TL (non SH-AWD) did not impress me at all. The interior may be nicer and have more amenities based on trim (cooled seats, blind spot monitoring), but the driving experience is worse. It's not even a comfortable ride. Average handling with a jittery uncomfortable ride. There is not noticeably less road noise compared to the G37. The trunk is smaller and oddly shaped and for the TL being much longer, the back seat is minimally larger than the G.

The G37 is much sportier and I truly did not see a reason to get the TL. Both will be extremely reliable compared to their German counterparts.
I'm not surprised that a FWD car with AS tires didn't handle as well as an AWD car with AS tires. It's kinda an apples to oranges comparison.

A more appropriate comparison would have been the SH-AWD version to the X.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:47 AM
BSG1

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I used to have a G35S and currently have a TL SH-AWD. The Infiniti is a great driver's car, hands down. The FWD TL is not a good comparison to a G37X. It handles very poorly for a car that size and feels like you're in an Accord. The AWD gives you a larger engine (3.7L vs 3.5L), upgraded suspension, brakes, and removes all torque steer. Even though it's based on a FWD platform, it can send up to 70% of the power to the rear wheels on heavy acceleration, and the torque vectoring AWD system is sublime. The auto tranny in the TLs are solid, although there have been some issues with the torque converter. Acura has extended the warranty on that component to 7yrs/105k miles. But the 6MT is so slick and so buttery smooth, I absolutely love driving it.

Both cars are nice, but as mentioned by others, don't compare the FWD TL to the G37X. Test drive the SH-AWD model, and if you can find one, the 6MT, although those are somewhat rare. Although they do hold their values very well so the prices may be higher than a similar G37X.
Old 12-16-2014, 11:48 AM
G37Xtreme

Originally Posted by BSG1
Although they do hold their values very well so the prices may be higher than a similar G37X.
Oh yeah, I briefly looked at an AWD TL. They were asking $29K, and I could have negotiated it down some probably, but I told the salesperson that we were too far off. I was at $22,900 for the G37x. He didn't offer to come down to $23K so I left, and bought the G37x later that afternoon.
Old 12-16-2014, 06:10 PM
Yazovets

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I don't know why you guys are getting so caught up over the (supposed) lifetime engine/tranny warranty.

You're not gonna keep that car beyond a few years anyway. Furthermore, it's the electronics that you should be fearing - not the mechanical stuff.

Anyway, I was comparing the Acura TL vs the G37x a couple of years ago. I easily picked the G37x and have never looked back since. The TL is an outdated, overweight FWD-based platform.
The following users liked this post:
NewbietoG37 (12-16-2014)
Old 12-16-2014, 07:21 PM
NewbietoG37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ended up getting a different 2011 g37. 36,000 miles and has a 6 year 100k warranty. 22,700 was the sale price. Its not a 37x but its white with two tone interior, bose, i dont think it has nav. It will haul *** also. Its fast than my 535i with a turbo.
Old 12-17-2014, 01:34 PM
GAWD

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by NewbietoG37
Ended up getting a different 2011 g37. 36,000 miles and has a 6 year 100k warranty. 22,700 was the sale price. Its not a 37x but its white with two tone interior, bose, i dont think it has nav. It will haul *** also. Its fast than my 535i with a turbo.
Good to hear! Although my G37X is bright red, I personally think there is nothing sharper than a white G. Enjoy the car, post some pics when you can.

Quick Reply: 2011 G37 compared to 2009 Acura tl