Sponsored by:

Thinking of buying 2012 G37 Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 10:58 PM
Michael440

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thinking of buying 2012 G37 Sedan

Hi Guys,
I'm thinking about buying used 2013 G37 Sedan (RWD) early next year but I'm reading many negative comments regarding transmission and paint.
Is there any true that transmission of G37 is very sluggish and sometimes is searching for the right gear? Paint is chipping very easily ?

I've read that there is a lot of rattling noise even in a couple year old G37 with low milage. Wind and road noise don't bother me but rattling noise coming from the dashboard would drive me crazy.

Also, it puzzles me when I read that some people get only 12mpg in the city, and average only 17mpg or so. If that's the case I could go for M3 which will be more expensive but will give me similar MPG and better performance.
My current car gets 18 city / 21 combined / 26 Highway
Old 11-09-2014, 11:25 PM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
The paint does seem to chip somewhat easily, but I've found that most modern cars do these days anyways. The G is not dramatically different than many other models of cars from Japanese automakers.

You'll see tons of differing feedback on fuel economy. Countless discussion on here. Fuel economy is dependent on a guy's commute, conditions and driving habits so comparing one report to another is not a great way to guesstimate what you'll see. I'm assuming that if a guy is seeing 12mpg he is almost all stop and go and lots of idling. Not a great combo for the G engine.

For what it's worth, I get ~20mpg on my 95% city commute with hills. I've seen up to 30 mpg on hwy trips. I can live with both those results. Also, having a big 20US gal tank means I get good range. 330-360 miles in the city to a tank. That gets me 3+ weeks between fills.

Can't speak to the 7at issues since I'm 6mt, but I've read that a TSB will address shifting issues. Some reflash or something...
Old 11-10-2014, 07:08 AM
KEG97
Registered Member

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
As stated, none of these issues should be a game changer. The paint does appear soft but that's most cars now. The 7AT does shift goofy if you don't get the reflash. Have the dealer ensure that has been done before you take delivery. The gas mileage is what it is. You can't compare the efficiency of this VQ with other similar sized or similar output engines. It's just plain thirsty for petrol.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:22 AM
MalbecG37S

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
If you are looking at a '12 or newer...the trans has already been updated - there are no additional updates available for the sedan 7at.

I get @20mpg - fine for me - but this is not a fuel miser. And if you start comparing it to an M3? Well.... I'm not sure you have an apples-to-apples comparison...
Old 11-10-2014, 08:29 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
The 7AT was a big deal in 2009, but as the rest of the industry moved on, it doesn't compare well to more contemporary tech. It also seems that the biggest complaint is lag from the silly flappy paddles, not so much the ratchet gear shift on the console. However, you'll only get those paddles with the Sport Package. And since you want RWD, I highly recommend you find a G37S...

...because Sport Sedan.

Also, there's nothing wrong with establishing gas mileage as a priority in a car. Thing is, that's an issue which speaks to total cost of ownership, and the alternative to poor mileage is certainly not a high-maintenance M3. That's just ridiculous. Over the years, that M3 will cost you way-y-y more than a few extra tanks of gas.

Originally Posted by Michael440
My current car gets 18 city / 21 combined / 26 Highway
That's exactly what I'm getting in my 6MT, and I really enjoy driving uphill at WOT.
Old 11-10-2014, 09:37 AM
G37Xtreme

Received 103 Likes on 78 Posts
I didn't research as much before buying my G37 as I already had a 2012 Maxima, and knew the G37 was a more badass version of that car. The timing was perfect for me as I took 20K miles off the odometer, and got new tires and all preventive maintenance for the next 1-2 years taken care of. The Maxima was about to cost me $2000 in tires plus maintenance.

So soft, chipping paint is something I'm not aware of...at least until about 2 minutes ago.

I started learning more about the car AFTER buying it, and seeing those low teens for mileage scared me. On my first tank, I babied the car as I wanted to see what was possible. I got 19mpg easy without flooring it often. Even with some spirited driving, I'm getting 18mpg in the city. I'd have to dog on the throttle every chance I get to see MPG in the low teens.

Think about this for a moment. Who else is making this sort of power off a Naturally Aspirated V6? I can probably count them all on one hand. I know the 2012 Camaro is 323 HP, and was 312 HP in 2011 (though it does this with regular unleaded). For a 2008 (2009) designed V6, I'd say it's probably the best, or at least one of the best NA V6 engines out there.
Old 11-10-2014, 12:53 PM
alfredo24pr

Received 95 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by G37Xtreme
Think about this for a moment. Who else is making this sort of power off a Naturally Aspirated V6? I can probably count them all on one hand. I know the 2012 Camaro is 323 HP, and was 312 HP in 2011 (though it does this with regular unleaded). For a 2008 (2009) designed V6, I'd say it's probably the best, or at least one of the best NA V6 engines out there.
It is the best. Every car company is using turbo 4 cylinders, turbo 6 cylinders or V8's, because they could never match Nissan's VQ in terms of power. Add to that how "tuneable" this car is and it is by far the best N/A V6 available.
Old 11-10-2014, 02:44 PM
Michael440

Thank you for all your comments guys.
I was concerned about mpg because I've read some comments about people getting low teen or ever single digits in the city. That seemed crazy to me because mercedes sl65 which is v12 gets around 14 city and 21 highway / 17 combined.
Mpg is not a deal beaker but it sucks I could get better mpg with cars with bigger engines.
Well I hope I would be able to get 17city / 26 highway with G37 (RWD) same as my current car.
I will be moving to FL, around Jupiter area on the east coast. Roads are pretty nice there not too much traffic, no hills (except for the bridges) and sea level which would be all beneficial for better mpg.
When it comes to G37 S, while I love tight and stiff suspension, I read S ride is very punishing. I also watched YouTube vid with guy complaining about that. G37 Journey has pretty stiff suspension. So, the difference between S and journey is stiffer suspension, rims, tires, brakes, sits and shifters which I actually don't need. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Do you guys hear any rattles coming under the dashboard or back sits? I've read it was one of the big complains about g37.

Since I will be in FL, what do you guys think about color I should get. I love black (my current car is black) but in FL black would fade pretty quick even if I wax it.
I like white. It looks nice with black tints but at the same time white may be a little feminine, I see a lot of girls driving white cars.
Old 11-10-2014, 03:19 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Two big complaints I have about the 7AT is it will hang onto a gear while decelerating until almost idle RPM and that makes for delayed upshifts (thank you EPA). You basically have to kick the damned thing in the head with the loud pedal to make it downshift earlier, then you have too much throttle for the turn. Manual shifting is better but you're still at the mercy of the trans computer for the actual shift, so in effect you're not shifting, you're just making suggestions.

I started getting rattles in the dash at 15k miles. I just turn up the radio. The rattles aren't loud, just annoying. There is a TSB for "windshield lubrication" that might help.

If you're south of the Mason/Dixon line, white is the only real option. It's too stinkin' hot to have a black car that sits outside even one minute on a sunny August day.
Old 11-10-2014, 04:17 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
When it comes to G37 S, while I love tight and stiff suspension, I read S ride is very punishing. I also watched YouTube vid with guy complaining about that.
Ah, nope. That just wrong. Find one and test-drive it.

G37 Journey has pretty stiff suspension.
Ah, nope. That's also wrong. It's almost sport-sedan-y, but not quite. Very much like the 7th Gen Maxima, but with less comfortable seating. Not that comfortable seats matter as much as good sport seating... but that's a personal preference.

So, the difference between S and journey is stiffer suspension, rims, tires, brakes, sits and shifters which I actually don't need. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
That's a close assessment. But you also get excellent sport seats. And the RWD-S has a VLSD rear end, and a closer ratio steering rack. All three of those matter a great deal. And I agree, no one needs the paddles on the G's 7AT.

Since I will be in FL, what do you guys think about color I should get.
Color doesn't matter nearly as much as the car itself, although no one's opinion on that means jack diddly except your own.

You know, all your concerns about the 7AT could go away if you found a Sedan with a proper 6MT... even though that has issues, too. All cars have issues, man.

Last edited by Rochester; 11-10-2014 at 04:28 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Lego_Maniac (11-10-2014)
Old 11-10-2014, 08:30 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
When it comes to G37 S, while I love tight and stiff suspension, I read S ride is very punishing. I also watched YouTube vid with guy complaining about that. G37 Journey has pretty stiff suspension. So, the difference between S and journey is stiffer suspension, rims, tires, brakes, sits and shifters which I actually don't need. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
The S suspension is in no way punishing, especially for Florida roads. The steering alone is worth the incremental price difference. Not to mention the BBK, LSD, staggered wheels and seats.

Originally Posted by Rochester

You know, all your concerns about the 7AT could go away if you found a Sedan with a proper 6MT
Old 11-10-2014, 09:28 PM
Michael440

Sport package sounds great as long as as it's not too punishing but I trust you guys. I also would like 6MT but, again, I watched a couple of clips on YouTube where guy who was reviewing that car and he was complaining about 6mt. He said it was hard to shift gears comparing to other cars like Acura, Lexus, Audi or BMW.
Also I think 7speed automatic should give slightly better mpg.

I was asking about color because I will be living in FL and dark color will fade pretty quick and also it's too hot there in the Summer so I'm thinking about white or silver.

And about rattling noise, it's a shame because my current car have 98k miles on it and there is absolutely no rattling noise. But, most of the time, I go really easy on my car maybe that's why.

So since I will be buying used 2012 g37 I will have to compromise. I'm not sure if I will be able to find g37s with 6MT in white
Old 11-10-2014, 09:37 PM
MalbecG37S

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
I was asking about color because I will be living in FL and dark color will fade pretty quick and also it's too hot there in the Summer so I'm thinking about white or silver.
I live in the DFW area of Texas...the sun gets scorching hot here....get Black if you like Black.

And the 'S' is not punishing IMHO.

Rattles - I've had some in the rear deck that were easily resolved (by me - not the dealer). Nothing else to speak of...

Good Luck with whatever you chose..
Old 11-10-2014, 10:17 PM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Received 173 Likes on 153 Posts
Sport package sounds great as long as as it's not too punishing but I trust you guys. I also would like 6MT but, again, I watched a couple of clips on YouTube where guy who was reviewing that car and he was complaining about 6mt. He said it was hard to shift gears comparing to other cars like Acura, Lexus, Audi or BMW.
Never rely on the advice of strangers when you can find out for yourself.

Also I think 7speed automatic should give slightly better mpg.
If you're worried about mpg then this isn't the car for you. Buy a Camry and pay my salary for a quarter of the year.

So since I will be buying used 2012 g37 I will have to compromise. I'm not sure if I will be able to find g37s with 6MT in white
There is one in Tampa at Hillsborough Automart.
Old 11-10-2014, 11:25 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
I have the 6mt. MPG is about low 20's in the city with about 60/40 highway mix. If you don't abuse it in the lower gears you'll get reasonable mpg in the city. Driving at expeditious speeds will also result in poorer mpg. We have no corners here, just on/off ramps, price is paid in terms of fuel and tire wear.

The 6mt has a high pedal uptake with a small friction zone window. Several workarounds exist - either a weak assist sprint to help with feel or a pricier custom clutch pedal (+ installation labor if you don't install it yourself). I've been happy with the spring fix myself (going on 3 years now).

I test drove several journey models. They felt way too soft and under damped for my style of driving. Steering felt mushy too. Since getting the car the only suspension mod has been stiffer sway bars.

Rather than reading reviews, you really need to drive a few. If you have decent dealerships around ask for an extended test drive. A 2 mile test loop won't tell you much about the car.

Last edited by JSolo; 11-11-2014 at 02:10 PM. Reason: clarification

Quick Reply: Thinking of buying 2012 G37 Sedan