Looking at buying a G37X

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 10:43 AM
G37Xtreme

Received 103 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Individual TPMS notification... YES x1000
Mirrors... meh.
Trunk organizer... buy yourself a decent trunk organizer online.
You're forgetting the heated steering wheel. Wish we had one.

CVT... um, no. Just no. As in, no way in hell.

Yes, the heated steering wheel. I forgot about that last week, must have been the horse power that made me forget.
The trunk organizer I'm referring to I think came with the first aid kit, and took the place of the car jack and tire tool organizer I now have on the G37. I don't think I can find anything that custom in shape 3rd party. So for now, my trunk has a tire repair kit and compressor in it. May go back to a tool box to keep it...

As for the CVT, different strokes. I find it quite pleasant to drive. I'm finally getting used to gears again after 10 days with the G.

I've found that when I floor it up to 60mph then let off the gas, my G doesn't know what to do for a moment. It's still expecting me to drive it hard all the way to 100mph, and takes awhile to upshift to a cruising gear and my rpm are over 4k for a bit before it settles down.
I totally understand why this happens, but the CVT never acted like this. It was much more fluid.

I'm thinking about adding paddles so I can quickly force it to top gear shortly after accelerating hard. I had paddles on the Maxima, but didn't use them much. Now, with a real transmission, I can see them being more useful.

Last edited by G37Xtreme; 11-06-2014 at 01:09 PM.
Old 11-06-2014, 06:36 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 163 Likes on 143 Posts
I have a stack of the 4DSC stickers I bought for the meet and then didn't get until afterwards...

As far as the paddles, using the shifter will be much more responsive. The lag with the paddles is slightly more for whatever reason. I cleaned my throttle bodies, installed a grounding kit and reset my ECU. That all seemed to help my trans become more responsive. Hoping a tune will clean it up more.
Old 11-06-2014, 07:05 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by RexHavoc
I have a stack of the 4DSC stickers I bought for the meet and then didn't get until afterwards...
No kidding? I didn't know that. If I thought ahead, I really should have done that... all things considered. Good intentions from you though, Chris.

Last edited by Rochester; 11-06-2014 at 08:05 PM.
Old 11-19-2014, 05:49 PM
LeoB95
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you for the correction! I was going off the information from the salesman! Greatly appreciated!
Old 11-20-2014, 08:37 AM
G37Xtreme

Originally Posted by RexHavoc

As far as the paddles, using the shifter will be much more responsive. The lag with the paddles is slightly more for whatever reason. I cleaned my throttle bodies, installed a grounding kit and reset my ECU. That all seemed to help my trans become more responsive. Hoping a tune will clean it up more.
I'm getting 2 of those stickers after I tint this Spring. People say it's OK, but I just can't convince myself to tint during the winter...I'm just weird like that.

As for the paddles, I am pretty sure that simply tapping the downshift paddle is faster than taking my right hand off the wheel, putting the shifter into DS mode, and then pulling back to downshift. If not, then the paddles are essentially worthless, unless you're racing and really don't want to take your hands off the wheel.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:52 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by G37Xtreme
As for the paddles, I am pretty sure that simply tapping the downshift paddle is faster than taking my right hand off the wheel, putting the shifter into DS mode, and then pulling back to downshift. If not, then the paddles are essentially worthless, unless you're racing and really don't want to take your hands off the wheel.
You don't put it into DS mode every time you change gears. And if you leave your right hand on the ratchet shifter when shifting, then problem solved. Personally, moving my right hand off the steering wheel is the only way I can change gears in my car, so that argument seems kind of silly to me.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:16 AM
G37Xtreme

You don't put it into DS mode every time you change gears. And if you leave your right hand on the ratchet shifter when shifting, then problem solved. Personally, moving my right hand off the steering wheel is the only way I can change gears in my car, so that argument seems kind of silly to me.
I don't think you realize my usage for the paddles. I would tend to leave the car in D mode. If I want to downshift without giving it a lot of gas, I have to take my hand off the wheel, put it into DS mode, then pull back...then bring my hand back up to the wheel (or not).

My 2012 Maxima with Sport package got me used to 2 years worth of paddle shifting, and I have very specific times when I find myself trying to tap the downshift paddle...I then remember that I no longer have this feature. It's almost worn off but I find myself wanting it at times...

So to recap, I am driving along in D, and I hit a hill...instead of giving it more gas to force the downshift, I simply "blip" the left paddle. How could this possibly take longer to downshift than the procedure I described above?

Comparing your 6MT to my 7AT is also silly, don't you think? Of course you have to remove your hand from the wheel, and your left leg (which is probably stronger than your right) also has to do a little song and dance as well. I personally like the little "blip" tap of the left paddle to get me where I want to be.

I admit that a 6MT would be really fun to own...but I would never do it as a daily driver (thus I'd probably get the coupe). I don't work from home, and I put at least 40-50 miles per day on my car...a good bit of it can be stop and go until I get to certain spots. I'm done with manual transmission cars...unless it's a toy. If it's something I drive now and then, sure...but not my daily commuter.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:46 AM
Rochester
Administrator

My 2012 Maxima with Sport package got me used to 2 years worth of paddle shifting
Why were you pretending to shift a CVT?
Old 11-20-2014, 09:48 AM
G37Xtreme

CVT
Wait...that's all you can say after all I wrote? How about some substance? Or do you agree with me now that you see my inended use for the paddles?

Why were you pretending to shift a CVT?
Post edit...I'll answer that by saying refer back to my post above. I want RPM to go up without giving it more gas. Now how about some commentary...
Old 11-20-2014, 10:02 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Wow, you are a lot quicker than my ninja edits. But man did you make me ROFL with that reaction. Too funny.

No, I don't agree with you. I manage engine speed with the throttle in sync with gear shifts (when done right LOL), not the other way around, which is how you describe it here. As for commentary, I think flappy paddles are a ridiculous toy in average, consumer-grade vehicles, who's only purpose is marketing. And on a CVT... puleese.

That said, I've driven the 7th Gen Maxima many, many times. And I will admit that Nissan very effectively spoofs the driver into thinking there are separate gears in that transmission, when that's the experience they want in the car. But if that's truly the case, then they bought the wrong car.

There. Commentary.
Old 11-20-2014, 10:24 AM
G37Xtreme

Wow, you are a lot quicker than my ninja edits. But man did you make me ROFL with that reaction. Too funny.

No, I don't agree with you. I manage engine speed with the throttle in sync with gear shifts (when done right LOL), not the other way around, which is how you describe it here. As for commentary, I think flappy paddles are a ridiculous toy in average, consumer-grade vehicles, who's only purpose is marketing. And on a CVT... puleese.

That said, I've driven the 7th Gen Maxima many, many times. And I will admit that Nissan very effectively spoofs the driver into thinking there are separate gears in that transmission, when that's the experience they want in the car. But if that's truly the case, then they bought the wrong car.

There. Commentary.
Much better commentary, thanks. I still have to disagree with you. The paddles aren't useless (or maybe they are, I have yet to drive a G37 with paddles). Have you ever downshifted and maintained speed? Or do you specifically slow down or speed up when downshifting?

You have the luxury of giving it as much gas as you want and maintaining a gear. I can only do that in DS mode while shifting manually. Since I have a D mode...the most effective way to get into the power band (yet not use it right then and there) is by using paddles. The next best way is to move into DS mode, which has already defeated the purpose of leaving it in D.

If I was launching and wanted manual control, I'd manually shift in DS mode (ignoring paddles). I am however referring to daily crusing around in D...and then deciding I want to get close to the power band. I'm not sure you can relate exactly. How many miles have you put behind an 7AT G37?
Old 11-20-2014, 10:44 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Have you ever downshifted and maintained speed? Or do you specifically slow down or speed up when downshifting?
I slow down with the brakes, not the transmission. And I downshift only when I want to accelerate faster than the throttle will allow in whatever gear I'm in. The only time I downshift when slowing down is when I'm expecting to swing the car back up to speed again.

You have the luxury...
Not a luxury, just is what it is, which was a conscious choice to find a (relatively rare) G37 Sedan with a 6MT.

I'm not sure you can relate exactly. How many miles have you put behind an 7AT G37?
Probably not. My wife's last 3 cars have been automatics, but those were family movers. I haven't owned an automatic as my DD for decades. Um... 1989, to be exact.

Total miles in a G37 7AT? IDK... a few hundred, tops. Test drives and loaner cars.
Old 11-20-2014, 02:07 PM
G37Xtreme

I downshift only when I want to accelerate faster than the throttle will allow in whatever gear I'm in.
Precisely. Do you ever downshift in anticipation of needing the lower gear, but you don't quite punch it yet? When I plan on passing, I'll go ahead and get into the gear I feel is needed, and when the opportunity presents itself, I'll gun it.

With the 7AT in D mode, you can't do that...

Well, I suppose if you had paddle shifters you could. I don't always want to give it extra gas to force the downshift, and I don't want to drive in DS mode all the time either.

The paddles have a very specific purpose, and I feel that it's to allow shifting quickly without taking hands off the wheel...specifically in D mode...(DS mode too I guess).
Old 11-20-2014, 02:26 PM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Received 173 Likes on 153 Posts
Precisely. Do you ever downshift in anticipation of needing the lower gear, but you don't quite punch it yet? When I plan on passing, I'll go ahead and get into the gear I feel is needed, and when the opportunity presents itself, I'll gun it.

With the 7AT in D mode, you can't do that...

Well, I suppose if you had paddle shifters you could. I don't always want to give it extra gas to force the downshift, and I don't want to drive in DS mode all the time either.

The paddles have a very specific purpose, and I feel that it's to allow shifting quickly without taking hands off the wheel...specifically in D mode...(DS mode too I guess).
ehh... not so much, in theory yes. There is quite a bit of a delay (or lag) when using the paddles, but when using the gear selector the time lag is reduced. I'm convinced the paddles have a lot of processor lag.

Last edited by '11G37S; 11-20-2014 at 03:06 PM.
Old 11-20-2014, 02:32 PM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Received 173 Likes on 153 Posts
I had paddles on the Maxima, but didn't use them much.
My 2012 Maxima with Sport package got me used to 2 years worth of paddle shifting,
Color me confused...

Quick Reply: Looking at buying a G37X