squared set up for g37s auto

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 08:46 PM
G37sPhoton
Registered Member

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
Question squared set up for g37s auto

hey all,
Newbie and looking for some help here...i was previously in an 09 maxima fully loaded sv with prem/tech, great, but the G was always my go to, and i am glad i did and truly enjoying the car.
I have a CPO 2011 g37s auto, bought about 9 months ago oand its damn near perfect(squeaks anyone..... ) but found this site and starting to address all of those symptoms, slowly and surely and will eventually start modding , sways and some type of exhaust or intake, not sure yet.
Ok, now to my point, the car has the staggered set up- hankook ventus s1, with plenty of thread, but discovere two screws one on my front passenger and another on my rear driver side. the front is near the sidewall/shoulder and they are telling me that it cant be fixed or should not be due to location and from all the reading, it seems legit . when i got the car i contempated going with the square set up, but figured that would be a20-30k miles down the road decision and i would now a lot more. I dont. I am trying to find out what (without buying bigger) just keeping the 18's currently, can I and is is it better to match the back and or match the front and just match them all front/back. since the nail is in the front, i am thinking of just buying the 245/45 to match the rears...can i do that with the current rims? i have read about the squared set up, but most posts are upgrading to 19's, offsets etc and though i like the idea, funding seems to dictate that the least expensive approach will work for me know and the 18's just work for me an eventual drop, maybe and i am good to go.
Anyway, any help is more than appreciated, as the repair is coming up, currently i am loosing about 1/2 psi per 1-2 days, so i know i have to do something...final option is just to replace the tire , call it a day and eventually do the square, just looking like eventually may be now, but needing some ideas and advice. Great forum and yes, i do read , but I just cant seem to figure this one out or at least it seems like i am missing something... much appreciated all.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:50 PM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
For a square setup you'll need the same size wheels all around. Good luck!
Old 10-23-2014, 09:37 PM
G37sPhoton
Registered Member

Ok, so, I don't have to upgrade to bigger rims etc.. Good. Has anyone done this and what was the cons, car doesn't handle as well, Vdc issues, brake rubbing fenders....? I would presume no, but just needing some input, as I have done other mods, intakes, exhaust,even fog light electrical stuff in my other cars,but I never had a car with the staggered set up, so just not quite sure what is right or better. Also, which one would look better? Anyway, a lot of questions, but open to input good or bad....

Thanks
Old 10-23-2014, 10:45 PM
Motoboat

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
So what is your reason for moving to a squared setup over your OEM staggered set? Better tire rotation? That's really the only advantage I can think of. Going with a squared set up is not going to give you any performance increase, you will potentially have less grip to the rear tires.

But it is doable, you can just buy a set of fronts like you already have and throw them on the rear but it's kind of a downgrade. Buy yourself a good set of performance tires to replace your failed tires and and call it a day.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:54 AM
tchoke

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
welcome to the forum and congrats on the G
i drive an x and recently upgraded and could have done a square set up however i went with staggered and the grip and looks is amazing, tires is the only contact you have with the ground so i wouldnt try to cheapen out on this item. I wanted the michelin as3 but the vendor didnt have any in stock ended up with conti dws. part of me wishes i waited anyhow if i was in your spot i would pull the trigger on some nice tires and keep it staggered.
good luck
Old 10-24-2014, 08:12 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
It reads like you don't understand that your staggered set-up from the factory is dictated by the width of the wheels. Your front duckfeet are 18x7.5", whereas your rears are 18x8.5". That's how the RWD Sport Package comes. The Sport Package on the AWD uses the same 18x7.5" wheels front and back (square).

You're driving around with hardware sticking into the rubber, but are OK because you're only losing a little air each day? That's not smart, man. Mount your donut spare and get that tire replaced ASAP.
Old 10-24-2014, 10:08 AM
G37sPhoton
Registered Member

thank you all for the input and replies

Motoboat- from all the reading I have done, some opted for the squared set up etc, but yes primarily for tire longevity, but certainly wasnt expecting improvements

tchoke- thanks , i read about the DWS and thought of them or michellins down the line, but this puncture issue just moved up that timeframe and I havent really read up enough to make a good decision. Im in central FL so the I read that the conti dws are grea in wet conditions as well, so will see, but may just replace those two for now. and then move over to something else as i read and learn more about pros and cons...

Rochester- I like the duckfeet analogy, and actually liked that about the car when i first saw them, though have seen much better rims on some journey models, but yes, just figuring out the wheels/rims set up, as those were items that never crept up to my mods and or paid much attention to in my previous cars. found the nail/screw on monday evening and had to drive the car yesterday and will be getting it fixed/replaced this weekend, but just wanted to figure out my steps in an as much educated manner as possible.

so i think i will stay with the staggered look for now, its is probably one of the many reasons why i like the cars looks and since the tires arent that worn, i dont think slapping new ones on each side will be an issue down the road.

thanks for all the input form all, i will be reading and addint my .02 in the areas that i have done or have the ooomph to try out and will share success and or failures.
Old 10-24-2014, 10:38 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by G37sPhoton
Im in central FL so the I read that the conti dws are grea in wet conditions
No, no, no. Don't put all-season tires on that car if you live in Florida. 3-season, high-performance tires handle wet roads better than all-season tires do. And since you live in Florida... well, there it is.

I like the duckfeet analogy
That's not a compliment. Mine are winter rats now.

thank you all for the input and replies
Welcome to the forum, Photon. The RWD-Sport Package is an uncommon configuration. You've got a worthy car there.

Now go replace the swaybars.
Old 10-24-2014, 12:52 PM
tchoke

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Florida.... michelin as3 or the michelin pilot.. yes i should have got michelins
Old 10-24-2014, 07:13 PM
G37sPhoton
Registered Member

Oh wow, from reading about the Des, thought they were it, but thanks for the input tchoke , as michellins were/are on the list. I'm at shop now getting the ventus s1 replaced, found a place that had one in stock and they were able to plug/patch my front passenger so, out 215 for the rears... Amazing how you can take care of your car with preventatives... regular oil changes, top tier gas, park away....really far away from all other cars to prevent dings....etc but you can't avoid road debris.....guess I was due.

Rochester- have read quite a few of your posts...you are a funny guy...but yes thought about replacing the sways bars so the car can sway better, but I thought this sports packg already had pretty beefy sways....so upgrade wouldn't do much for improvement....guess more reading on that too... I really thought clear lenses, fogs to a brighter lumen, intake and exhaust , so now will add sways or as I think you had posted, best initial upgrade...
Old 10-24-2014, 07:25 PM
Rochester
Administrator

but I thought this sports packg already had pretty beefy sways....so upgrade wouldn't do much for improvement....
You couldn't be any more wrong about that. Aftermarket sways and 3-season tires keep this heavy sport sedan planted. If that's what you enjoy about your car, it's a must-have mod. Spend some time researching the topic, and I'm confident you'll put it on your list. Just this afternoon, I nailed a sweeping off-ramp with the wifey in the car. Pushed it just far enough so the TC wouldn't engage and I could ride the arc smoothly at twice the posted 25 mph. Came to a stop, she started laughing and blurted out "Holy ****!"

And I'm not funny, I'm just getting old.

Last edited by Rochester; 10-24-2014 at 07:33 PM.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:56 PM
G37sPhoton
Registered Member

Ok, I stand corrected, so will investigate new sways as we'll, as for spirited driving....indeed, salivating at that idea of speeding around a ramp, especially doable now as FL weather is pretty close to perfect, no rain, cool temos( for us) in the 60 to 70 degrees...without that heat and humidity the car really seems to behave better...so thanks